Crayfish-Enviroment agency.

will_gleave

Has anyone had any luck in getting the required licence from the environment agency to catch crayfish.

Ive applied twice now to get the licence as i know where the crayfish are and know people who catch bucket loads on 4 different waters. However the environment agency keep knocking me back saying the waters i have put forward hold no crayfish. Ive even had a phone call from the local guy for quite some time with him basically telling me that the stretches of waters i have asked about have no crayfish in them. Anyone have any ideas how i can go about gaining a licence.

Has anyone had any luck in getting the required licence from the environment agency to catch crayfish.

Ive applied twice now to get the licence as i know where the crayfish are and know people who catch bucket loads on 4 different waters. However the environment agency keep knocking me back saying the waters i have put forward hold no crayfish. Ive even had a phone call from the local guy for quite some time with him basically telling me that the stretches of waters i have asked about have no crayfish in them. Anyone have any ideas how i can go about gaining a licence.

Firstly I was told no, as there wasn't any crayfish.

Then I was told no, because there where native crayfish in the area. Not in the wild stretch of water I wanted to fish, but elsewhere in the county, but they didn't want other people seeing me fish and get ideas.

THEN I was told no, because it was some new local policy, arguing that cray-fishing removes dominant males, and ultimately causes population explosion.

At that point I gave up.

I find it unacceptable the reasons they give and can't understand why I'm not covered by my fishing licence or why you need a licence in the first place, they give out reports explaining the damage they are doing to the environment and everyone needs to help to stop this, but won't let anyone do anything about it.

It was far easier getting a firearms/shotgun licence and land to soot on than get permission to catch crayfish.

There's still plenty in the river. Didn't get out as much as I would have liked this season mind.

It was a doddle getting the licence,s. I have ten for traps and two drop nets.

The last ones were for three years! They send numbered plastic tags you attach to your kit. They were free but I had heard they were discussing charging.

They won't give them if there is no evidence of Signals and you do need to provide grid reference points for the river stretches you will be fishing.

It will be a while till they are moving again now, I'm looking forward to it! Tasty little blighters!

I find the comments re removing dominant males incredible! For a start your not allowed to return any.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Road kill, old bits of Rabbit, and Pigeon etc. are the best bait, remember to refresh it on a regular basis.

You will have to wait until the water warms up a bit nearer the end of May.

License's for nets are easier to get, the nets must not be left unattended.

Unless you are after catching Cray's commercially you do not need traps.

A couple of hours with half a dozen nets and a couple of kids and you will have more than enough.

I have had more than a few days out with the Herts Massive and enjoyed a really great time, looking forward to this year.

To be honest the EA are reluctant to issue licences as it compromises the control policy.

The theory is that removing the Cray fish in numbers increases the survival rate of the young due to much reduced competition for available food stuffs hence causing a population explosion. So by fishing for them regularly all we are doing is actually maintaining the population levels.

I must be honest I do believe that this approach is correct as a natural balance will be reached eventually. In this region of the Upper Thames and supporting tributaries which has a large population of Crays I have noticed in recent years the stamp of chub, perch, pike, and native brown trout are improving.

Otters and Herons also benefit.

Its a shame that Cormorants don't eat them..

Had my licence approved today had a very good chat with the man from the environment agency he asked for the return of the larger males as they are aggressive and help keep the population stable. As this is for fisheries management it was approved he did say that I may need to get more traps than I applied for, I informed him I was waiting for there advice first but we are going to go with two traps to start with in the main two lakes and if I need more I just need to contact them.

Had my licence approved today had a very good chat with the man from the environment agency he asked for the return of the larger males as they are aggressive and help keep the population stable. As this is for fisheries management it was approved he did say that I may need to get more traps than I applied for, I informed him I was waiting for there advice first but we are going to go with two traps to start with in the main two lakes and if I need more I just need to contact them.

I understood it was illegal to return "Signal Crayfish" once they have been caught :hmm:

I think the general rule is that you are not allowed to release non native species back into the environment.

It will be interesting to hear what your mans take is on this issue.

I am not disagreeing with what you have said, but as always clarity and consistency is what we all require.

I think the general rule is that you are not allowed to release non native species back into the environment.

It will be interesting to hear what your mans take is on this issue.

I am not disagreeing with what you have said, but as always clarity and consistency is what we all require.

This was taken from the environmental Agency's website and is exact wording.

Under the "WIldlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) it is an offence to Release, or allow to escape any non-native species into the Wild in the UK except without a licence

• 1 month later...

Are there any signals in the North East rivers?

I have a friend in the EA and apparently there are not enough to be a threat yet in some rivers :no:

You would end up targeting the wrong species!

The Blyth, has a population or reds and the Derwent has a few too apparently! Also the Wansbeck is under threat!

Edited by Lord Geordie