FAC or NON FAC?

Joshcup11

Just come back from a disappointing lamping session. I was using my Hatsan Arms AT44-10 shot running at 200 bar sub 12ft pound. Im using accu pells. I took two with a headshot at about 30 yards but saw about twenty rabbits. Found that I cant get close enough. I was thinking on the long walk home to maybe apply for a firearms licence and get a 30-5o ft lb fac air rifle?

What are your opinions on this and do you think id have any issues getting the Licence?

And would you suggest 30 ft lb 50 ft lb or more????

Rimfires not an option due to the chance of ricochet and the amount of houses around.

Thanks in advance!

Josh :good:

Just come back from a disappointing lamping session. I was using my Hatsan Arms AT44-10 shot running at 200 bar sub 12ft pound. Im using accu pells. I took two with a headshot at about 30 yards but saw about twenty rabbits. Found that I cant get close enough. I was thinking on the long walk home to maybe apply for a firearms licence and get a 30-5o ft lb fac air rifle?

What are your opinions on this and do you think id have any issues getting the Licence?

And would you suggest 30 ft lb 50 ft lb or more? ???

Rimfires not an option due to the chance of ricochet and the amount of houses around.

Thanks in advance!

Once you have gained some experience you will be suprised where you can safely use a rf, if your ground is as bad as you say it is I would go for fac air around the 30 ft lb region much more and it will be a waste of air.

Once you have gained some experience you will be suprised where you can safely use a rf, if your ground is as bad as you say it is I would go for fac air around the 30 ft lb region much more and it will be a waste of air.

I had one of the early Theoben Eliminaors in .22 and it used to ricochet like ****

Regards remmyman

I suppose so. I've thought about taking my gun to a friend who can tune it to around the 18ft lb region. But decided not to run the risk for basically an extra coupleof yards. Also what are the bestways you guys zero and set up your scopes?mine won't shoot straight. But now I'm using accupel its perfect!! Thanks

Josh

And would you suggest 30 ft lb 50 ft lb or more? ???

Thanks in advance!

Josh 12ftlb is well capable of killing rabbits clean at ranges up to 60 yards in my experience, there must be something in your fieldcraft that could be improved eg lamp and colour of filters, and are you hunting into the wind etc etc. Fac power is great when needed i have a couple of fac air rifles one being a 100ftlb wolverine 303 which takes rabbits at 100 plus yards with ease.

filter colour mainly works by reducing the amount of light some, Nobody I have ever met can headshot rabbits at 60yds with a 12ft lb airgun least of all at night and I include a number of world champions FT shooters in that list.

I ran a 30ft lb rapid a while its not as good as a .22 lr with subs but it will get the job done far better than 12 ft lb being pretty much no compensation to 50yds as regards trajectory. %0yds is far enough with the lamp so you generally only need to give windage. My mate now owns the gun and it remains on my ticket for use, though it isn't needed as I find .22 lr just fine if you think good backstop in fact I often use mine around the grounds of the house

I was considering the exact same thing. I have decided to stick with my sub 12ft springer and work on my field craft. I have not been lamping for that long so I am aiming to gain more experience.

One thing that may change this, is I maybe joining a small bore target shooting club with the father in law. If this happens I might get up getting a 22 lr

With regards to rabbit shooting, as stated above I am just going to stick with it for the time being

I was considering the exact same thing. I have decided to stick with my sub 12ft springer and work on my field craft. I have not been lamping for that long so I am aiming to gain more experience.

One thing that may change this, is I maybe joining a small bore target shooting club with the father in law. If this happens I might get up getting a 22 lr

With regards to rabbit shooting, as stated above I am just going to stick with it for the time being

.22 lr kicks Butt compared to FAC air lamping bunnies and is cheaper and less hassle to keep on song. Up round Ripon its far and away the best choice

12ft/lb air can consistently hit the target at 55yds 9 out of 10 times, in good conditions. Done it enough times.

30ft/lb air can hit and kill 9 out of 10 rabbits at 75yds +. Again in good conditions, meaning next to no wind.

Its all about knowing your equipment, pellet performance at any range. If you put the time in shooting you will be rewarded.

You really do need to polish up your stalking technique, use the surroundings and the elements to your favour, study you're quarry it will

give you invaluable experience and knowledge.

As has been said, work on your field craft, consider factors like can they, hear , or smell , you? (wind direction), can they see you? ambient light or moonlight.

If its windy, you can and will get "pellet drift" on a .22 or .177 you can sometimes see the pellet affected by this as you look through the scope, in the lamps light.

Open ground can be very difficult to shoot , if its blustery across your pellets path. But , sub 12ft/lb is all you need, if you work on it.

Good luck. :)

Edited by Longbower

crikey,,shooting rabbits at 60yrds with a sub 12ftlb air rifle,,

I must be doing something wrong :no::no: :no: :no: .

just to admit doing it is stupid,lets be honest, with a fac yes ,sub 12 its a no for me,

40yrds for me when the weather and wind permits,

to the op (joshcup11) whilst gaining experience stick to 30yrds mate max, go out and forget shooting rabbits for the moment, take some 2p size targets out to where you are shooting and practice,practice,practice in all wind conditions,

learn your milldots and how to adjust for different distances and also how to compensate for the wind,

THEN AND ONLY THEN once you know your rifle,,,go out and shoot rabbits otherwise you will not have much luck,whilst out on your perm, do what I used to do which is go and study them(without your rifle)

watch what they do, watch how they behave, move slowly and see just how close you can get,

FIELDCRAFT comes with getting out and watching there is more to rabbit shooting than just taking pot shots at them at silly distances

keep at it mate and study your quarry, you will improve but for now practice and learn how to get close to them also find and look for simple things like fresh poo and where they are most likely to be , then go downwind of them and see how close you can get

atb Evo

• 3 months later...

FAC Air is alright, but LR better. Shooting a horse with any type of gun (Except a kids nerf gun perhaps) is bad news. I have horses on my permission, and before taking any shot, albeit with my airgun, fac airgun, shotgun, HMR I ALWAYS check that there is a decent backstop.

Luckily the landowner puts high vis coats on her horses (they have high vis strips) so when I scan about I see the horses very easily. However I wouldn't shoot unless I knew where the projectile is going.

Fieldcraft is pretty key, but saying that why not apply for a .22LR and have the option?

I also agree with Evo though, get to know your gun well first in the light and with 2p sized targets and shoot from different positions etc...

Guest cookoff013

fac air comes into its own at .22 ~16grains / 900fps or so. -28ftlbs

fac air can also cover 0.25" h+n barracuda / biz mags (31grain) at 900fps. -55ftlb

obviously the 31grain .25 will put more energy on to target, and at larger distances.

• 2 weeks later...

Kent, if you can't head shot a rabbit at 60yds with a 12ftlb then you need to get the paper targets out and get some practice in.

I shall go and join Kent. It is one thing to be able to head shoot a rabbit at 60 yards with sub 12ft lbs and it is another to watch them run away in agony because the energy in that pellet was not up to the job or the placement did not hit that half inch sweet spot. Been there, not proud of it, bought .22lr. Sub 12ftlb .177 Rapid now used on paper or more like 30 to 40 yards max on quarry.

Kent, if you can't head shot a rabbit at 60yds with a 12ftlb then you need to get the paper targets out and get some practice in.

If you can you will win every FT comp and walk through HFT word champs like a breeze. Take a look at how many of the top shots shoot clear rounds in FT with all the time in the world a max 55 yards and mega gear and get this a 40mm kill zone - a lot bigger than a rabbits brain box!

Talk is cheap win the world champs and we will talk again, I have lifted the odd win in the past