FAC or NON FAC?

Joshcup11

I find it very hard to judge ranges while lamping ,rabbits that I thought were 30yds oftentimes were nearer 50 yds and for me a fac air rifle helped with the flatter tradjectory ,this was when I was walking around in open fields. If your laying up near a warren and know your ranges I think a 12 ftp is ideal

Is this a possible scenario of one mans 60 yards is another's 45 yards? I'll be the first to admit trying to judge range can be difficult for me at night etc hey andy1970 not that I'm telling you to prove it but do you have any videos of this long range rabbit work? I only ask as it would be interesting viewing.

I'm joking, I wish I had time to enter competitions, I barely get the time to shoot these days.

don't enter any comedy competitions either then coz you just aint funny, every time some fool writes this rubbish half a dozen teenage lads believe them and try it and take air guns another step backwards again and have formed your image in just 4 posts

Listen to me fella, I can assure you now that my shooting habits are second to none. I've shot most guns out there and to a high standard. I've shot rifles that you'll never get the pleasure of using over extreme distances and trained to a high standard. Get over it and learn to take a joke.

FAC air is superb! Iv not got rimfire and don't plan to but with a bit of field craft and if had rabbits to 60 yards easily. My FAC airgun (rws Excalibur's) is pellet on pellet at my 40 yard zero and pretty flat shooting from 20-50 yards and makes night shooting so much easier with range estimation compared to sub 12. I'd deffinately go for it, its such a great tool. Atb tom.

Just for info,

FAC air can go more than 32 ft/lb I fan a R7 at 34, and 16.5 AA field, took rabbits at over75 yards, crows to 90yrds.

There's air rifles out there that are more consistent and accurate than some of the rf that PW member's use.

And if Field target shooter didn't have the obstacles like time and stance put upon them you may see more 40x40 results, no doubt ending in shoot offs with target restricted down to 25mm. Without those obstacles put on field target competitions I see no reason in the right conditions they could take rabbit's at 60yards. ?

kent

when I started shooting the competitions was back in 82 the target's were a whopping 50mm but only out to 45yards and only out of 20.I never got a straight 20 but didn't do too bad, worst was missing the 8 yard target. I packed it all in due to the opposite sex.

"T" Shirts loads.

My car is bigger than your car and I can shoot the balls off a gnat at 200 yards.....

It is all a bit pathetic really.

Just listen to yourselves.

At the end of the day you are shooting live animals and they deserve some respect. Sadly a lot of shooters lack that respect and just see taking pot shots at living things as a bit of fun and who cares if they are wounded or suffer, they are 'only' rabbits or whatever.

That is an attitude seen in many parts of the world in relation to parts of the human population - oh well.

It is not very responsible to boast about shooting animals at long distances even though it is technically possible by a skilled shooter in ideal conditions.

Maybe there should be a permanent article posted giving 'sensible' ranges for 'typical' shooters using common calibres.

As one poster suggested.... How accurate are the distances claimed? Measured with a laser? Paced out? Just guessed?

Before shooting live quarry.... is it well within a distance at which you know you can shoot accurately even allowing for a margin of error? Will the bullet have enough energy to do sufficient damage to ensure a quick kill even if the placement is not as accurate as expected?

To quote Dekers... "you need the right tool for the job". and add to that, appropriate skill, common sense and humanity. There is nothing wrong with paper punching.

My car is bigger than your car and I can shoot the balls off a gnat at 200 yards.....

It is all a bit pathetic really.

Just listen to yourselves.

At the end of the day you are shooting live animals and they deserve some respect. Sadly a lot of shooters lack that respect and just see taking pot shots at living things as a bit of fun and who cares if they are wounded or suffer, they are 'only' rabbits or whatever.

That is an attitude seen in many parts of the world in relation to parts of the human population - oh well.

It is not very responsible to boast about shooting animals at long distances even though it is technically possible by a skilled shooter in ideal conditions.

Maybe there should be a permanent article posted giving 'sensible' ranges for 'typical' shooters using common calibres.

As one poster suggested.... How accurate are the distances claimed? Measured with a laser? Paced out? Just guessed?

Before shooting live quarry.... is it well within a distance at which you know you can shoot accurately even allowing for a margin of error? Will the bullet have enough energy to do sufficient damage to ensure a quick kill even if the placement is not as accurate as expected?

To quote Dekers... "you need the right tool for the job". and add to that, appropriate skill, common sense and humanity. There is nothing wrong with paper punching.

well said that man :good:

atb Evo

Listen to me fella, I can assure you now that my shooting habits are second to none. I've shot most guns out there and to a high standard. I've shot rifles that you'll never get the pleasure of using over extreme distances and trained to a high standard. Get over it and learn to take a joke.

How do you know what I have shot and over what distances? I don't find your jokes funny (or feel they were intended to be jokes) quite contrary I find remarks rather insulting and just a defence to a bold, insulting statements just as I do your assumptions. Air rifles have and will always have a bad name because of the minority of their users, this is a real shame because they can be very useful under the correct application, represent as cheap a form of shooting as there can ever be, need no licencing and hence are the best recruitment into our sport.

Like many others I learned my stalking skills hunting rabbits with an open sighted HW35 at 11 yrs old, skills that put me in good stead latter in life on far larger quarry. shotguns, rimfire and centrefire rifles followed but still to this day I have an air rifle or two. Strange thing is in about 35 years of active shooting I still have only ever managed about two permissions on the basis of airguns alone, this can only point to that "reputation" thing as I cannot see another reason why landowners welcome me to use powder burners yet give me a funny look when I say "I can use my airgun for that!"

You don't help the cause

Just for info,

FAC air can go more than 32 ft/lb I fan a R7 at 34, and 16.5 AA field, took rabbits at over75 yards, crows to 90yrds.

There's air rifles out there that are more consistent and accurate than some of the rf that PW member's use.

And if Field target shooter didn't have the obstacles like time and stance put upon them you may see more 40x40 results, no doubt ending in shoot offs with target restricted down to 25mm. Without those obstacles put on field target competitions I see no reason in the right conditions they could take rabbit's at 60yards. ?

kent

when I started shooting the competitions was back in 82 the target's were a whopping 50mm but only out to 45yards and only out of 20.I never got a straight 20 but didn't do too bad, worst was missing the 8 yard target. I packed it all in due to the opposite sex.

"T" Shirts loads.

Yeah, I remember the early days with paper targets. The knock over and re-setting targets sure eased the congestion. FT guys are not particularly limited in stance other than compulsory standers and kneelers and time is plenty. The reducers at short range were added to catch out the "high mounters" as its became common to high mount "really, really high!" To flatten the end curve, so much so that you couldn't dial down to 8yds. I might be a little out of touch with progression of rules (been over a decade now) but in a std GP no target after 45 could be reduced? 60 yards 40mm disks can be shot "on the right day" but Rabbits cannot be humanely shot at such ranges in my experience and it was discounted as a progression of the sport due to luck being too big a factor over skill by committee?. Even the best 12 ft lb gun is limited by its ballistics. The FAC stuff really does help I agree, I found I could push my FAC Rapid out to 60 -65 with pretty much 100% guarantee, my mate now owns the rifle as he had more use of it and has spent a fair bit of time and money improving it (new longer barrel, quick fill, springs etc) and says its an 80-85 yard gun on "the right day" to me personally I will and do use a .22 LR for that and more so all the work he has done is for very little, though he does it as an enthusiast rather than a hunter. I retained the use of this rifle on my renewal but I doubt I will ever have real need to borrow it

kent ,,, I wonder how long andy1970 will last with his comments, ??? sad really as he,s probably an intelligent guy ??? well in the office but certainly not out in the field on the poor wounded bunnies,

robin reliant overtaking a porche springs to mind, but I have to agree with your comments sir,

atb Evo