SGC on me or in the car?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Plod" can also sieze your guns until such time as you produce a valid certificate. Okay if you are in your Home area, not so good if you are a fair distance from home !

I understand that buddy, perhaps like you say if I was in another force area then fair enough, I would personally prefer my guns to taken until my cert is produced than damage mine when out and about or worse still, lose it.

Each to they're own on this one-just stating what I do;-)

Here is my advice, carry a photocopy.

It will take me around 30 seconds, maybe a minute to check you our on the radio. Everyone with an sgc or fac is on the computer.

The computer is national and protected with very thick concrete walls.

It's so secure that although I know where it is and can walk near it I cannot get with 100 yards of it.

The radio system is excellent. Should it stop working I can use the phone.

The law says that without an original the gun can be confiscated until it is produced or wording very very similar. (Please don't quote it and point out I am not quite right as the essance is about there). However a name check is sufficent and unless obstructive on purpose the plod will be on his way very quickly.

Here's some further very simple advice, carry a photocopy of some Id if not your sgc/fac. People lie to police and saying your name is micky mouse and shouting I know my rights prove it does not help. A bit of Id (bank card or driving licence) and the farmers phone number is all that is needed in 99.9999999% of cases.

Any further questions pm me.

Here is my advice, carry a photocopy....

The law says that without an original the gun can be confiscated until it is produced or wording very very similar. ...

Totally agree with the law (or essence of) but why then carry a photocopy if this doesn't suffice? If the photocopy (or computer check) doesn't cut the mustard then they'll just take your guns until they see the original.

Not being antagonistic, just wanted to see why you recommend the photocopy. :)

As it has photo Id and won't be argued with. Either your grinning face is on it or it's not, hence they will check on the radio and also have photo Id to ensure u are who u say u are.

Can't argue with that.

Failing that carry photo Id like a driving licence, its excellent as its an official document issued by the dvla.

Also if the photocopy is lost its largely useless as cannot be used to buy anything restricted and will decompose in about half a nano second should it get wet.

Photo ID is much more valuable than a blockbuster video card without a shadow of doubt but if the police want to see an original cert as per the law then only that will prevent the guns being temporarily removed.

Photocopy with address details blanked out would be the safest option but I guess you never know how the police will react.

Here is my advice, carry a photocopy.

It will take me around 30 seconds, maybe a minute to check you our on the radio. Everyone with an sgc or fac is on the computer.

The computer is national and protected with very thick concrete walls.

It's so secure that although I know where it is and can walk near it I cannot get with 100 yards of it.

The radio system is excellent. Should it stop working I can use the phone.

The law says that without an original the gun can be confiscated until it is produced or wording very very similar. (Please don't quote it and point out I am not quite right as the essance is about there). However a name check is sufficent and unless obstructive on purpose the plod will be on his way very quickly.

Here's some further very simple advice, carry a photocopy of some Id if not your sgc/fac. People lie to police and saying your name is micky mouse and shouting I know my rights prove it does not help. A bit of Id (bank card or driving licence) and the farmers phone number is all that is needed in 99.9999999% of cases.

Any further questions pm me.

This all makes perfect sense BUT when I photocopy mine it say something like "Illegal copy" which does not look good.

Despite common misconception police are not brain dead killers who write with crayons. They will know its a photocopy. And they will see the grinning face is you or not. If unsure carry it.

I think one of us might be a little over sensitive?

I was talking to a copper at the gates of Downing st, he was visibly armed, a small boy walked up to us and said "why to you shoot people?" The copper replied "we don't want to shoot people, we do sometimes have to shoot bad people to stop them hurting others" Quite a nice reply I thought for off-the-cuff.... I digress.

Try the off topic section, there are some enlightening comments there.

As for the paper work it's no different than a mobile phone, just gets stored in a secure location, in regards to that I recently saw a large number of seized guns, all in slips in their own sections. Few people had access although a number of key holders were used with other security measures to prevent naughtyness. Ie cctv and other measures, would be hard to damage them, most had a layer of dust on the slips.

Still, believe what you like.

That's reassuring to know about the storage at that facility, hopefully others would be just as respectful. Just hope they'd give it a good wipe over with an oily rag and a good clean before tucking it up for the night as I do ;)

Nothing worse than a wet and dirty gun being left in its slip, especially if they are slow with the paperwork and it's a few days before you get them back (and they don't also decide to send any air gun off for testing the power output to ensure legality).

There's not much of the oily rag to be fair but not many are taken wet, from experience. Either way if my cheap and cheerful lanber can last a good week without so much as a second glance I'm sure yours can. if an airgjn is sent for testing it's sent for testing, don't know what the lab do, just see the report when it comes back.

Take a photo,or scan it into your smart phone,you always carry your phone, plod can then see your details and check on the radio.

Saying that i had on of the armed response discos come across a field trying to catch me up in my navara a while back,when i stopped and walked over to their vehicle they had already checked my vehicle,i confirmed my name and dob and they were satisfied i had a sgc and fac,then 10 minutes of chat about the merits of our vehicles,it was decided mine was better than theirs off road because of the simple fact they didn't like to get theirs dirty :lol: as they had to clean it so avoided off road when possible, but they were shocked how fast mine covered the ground and if i hadn't of stopped when i saw them they couldn't catch up.

Just be polite and cooperative and things will get resolved quickly and you can all have a laugh about it.

Take a photo,or scan it into your smart phone,you always carry your phone, plod can then see your details and check on the radio.

Sounds like the best option, particularly when modern smartphones have apps / folders that can be password protected and keep the images nice and safe from anyone that you wouldn't want to see it.

Generally I don't carry it. A copper can call a PNC check in which will list all your shotguns and firearms, previous PNC checks etc. Photo card driving licence confirms who you are and were you live. A copper can however take your guns back to the base and keep them till you turn up with a valid licence, I seriously doubt they want the paperwork and hassle of that though. 200 miles from home and I should want my ticket with me though for this reason alone

If you feel uncomfortable taking your certificate with you then consider keeping it locked in the car and take a copy. But the officer may well still want to see the original…back in the car?

In most cases ss some have correctly said, the police can easily check your details by radio if they stop you and that should be fine in the vast majority of cases, but what if you get some officious so and so.....

David

If you feel uncomfortable taking your certificate with you then consider keeping it locked in the car and take a copy. But the officer may well still want to see the original…back in the car?

In most cases ss some have correctly said, the police can easily check your details by radio if they stop you and that should be fine in the vast majority of cases, but what if you get some officious so and so.....

David

I have been stoped twice in the last 8 years and I had my license in the car it saved a lot of hassle, they looked at it rang the firearms department everything was ok off you go

your license is safe in the glove box you can,t lose it and its to hand if stopped in the field or in the car job done