Been looking for permission for months now and everybody saying no

No idea why

I drive a 110 defender van

Wear farmer looking cloths :)

And am polite

I'm not bothered about masses of land just a few fields would be nice

I don't want massive bags a few birds here and there

No idea what to do different

Don't lose heart. It's not you, it's them. You're on the first step of a relationship with these people.

Go round again in four to six months. It takes a person seven contacts from cold to make up their mind to purchase something, whilst most salespeople stop at five. When I was marketing coaching it was always a constant headache to me that sales people and business owners would act like they were the purchaser and expected to get what they wanted from the customer immediately. Er, no. You have to build trust and customer awareness so that when THEY need what you are offering they will remember you and trust you enough to use you to fill their needs.

Give it time.

The best time to get permission is when there are birds on the fields.

See the birds , then find the farm, point out that there are loads of birds on field X and ask if you can shoot the birds on that particular field.

You are not looking to shoot all their land, for ever and ever, just that field while the birds are on it.

Trust me, that works and the rest of the land, etc., will follow, if you do a good job.

Im having the same issues as the op believe me iv had some down right rude comments made to me when door knocking its really putting me off cold calling, maybe its just the farmers in my local area but it makes me feel like a criminal, time for a change of tactics i think

So how do you think those of us with permissions got them?

We got them by speaking with people and gaining trust, establishing contact is only the first step.

Put yourself in the Farmers position!!!!

Would you allow someone you didn't know, access to your land with a deadly weapon?

The truth of it is, I get door knocked almost EVERY weekend, I get letters often, but I have people who already shoot our land, they do a good job and ironically I don't want to upset them, regardless of weather they are out doing for me.

I got a door knocker a while back, and his case was so watertight I couldn't say no, he'd walked the footpaths and had found damage, and asked if he could just shoot that one field...just once....that was the difference, he didn't turn up asking for x amounts of acres to use, he'd spotted a problem and asked for a toe in the door, via a specific problem.

He now has permission over both halves of the farm.

As said, put yourself in my position, sadly it gets boring, car turns up, obvious shooter gets out, same patter, no references. All land owners have shooters on there, harsh as it seems.

Don't give up though, good luck!

Edit, Cranfield has summed this up in his post. Good advice

Edited by kyska

I was merely saying that in my area shooting seems to be frowned upon, i can take the knock backs on the chin but when they start being rude with it, it knocks your confidence and becomes disheartening that is all, i totally agree with door knocking getting your face known letting someone see what your about etc,no offence meant

I was merely saying that in my area shooting seems to be frowned upon, i can take the knock backs on the chin but when they start being rude with it, it knocks your confidence and becomes disheartening that is all, i totally agree with door knocking getting your face known letting someone see what your about etc,no offence meant

What do you mean rude?

Give us a clue then, where is your area?

Give us a clue then, where is your area?

I imagine, non farming land owners, they are becoming increasingly more prolific in our village, lots of cash, nice 4x4's and think doing their bit is saving the squirrels and feeding the wood pigeon.

Going beating over the winter is a good way to get a bit of shooting over spring.

I'd also recommend being able to shoot mid-week rather than the weekend.

You got a trade? - feel free to offer work in exchange. Think about what you've got that others don't.

Edited by Bleeh

I imagine, non farming land owners, they are becoming increasingly more prolific in our village, lots of cash, nice 4x4's and think doing their bit is saving the squirrels and feeding the wood pigeon.

You may well be right, I was actually wondering just where JayW is from.

I have permission on some land that is owned by Non Farming types, always worth asking.

There are quite huge swathes of land owned by estates - and sometimes Lords and Lady's etc. If the OP lives in one of them patches he's not likely to get much Locally. And also places that have had issues with shooters in the past.

As an example there is a vast Co-operative food estate near me that has regular pigeon shooters on. I know there are parts of the estate totally crammed with rabbits doing obvious damage - but the manager has had people with rifles shooting everything up in the past. I've been there with at least 6 local references and shown them my youtube videos that prove results but the answer is still a polite no.

The truth of it is, I get door knocked almost EVERY weekend, I get letters often, but I have people who already shoot our land, they do a good job and ironically I don't want to upset them, regardless of weather they are out doing for me.

I got a door knocker a while back, and his case was so watertight I couldn't say no, he'd walked the footpaths and had found damage, and asked if he could just shoot that one field...just once....that was the difference, he didn't turn up asking for x amounts of acres to use, he'd spotted a problem and asked for a toe in the door, via a specific problem.

He now has permission over both halves of the farm.

As said, put yourself in my position, sadly it gets boring, car turns up, obvious shooter gets out, same patter, no references. All land owners have shooters on there, harsh as it seems.

Don't give up though, good luck!

Edit, Cranfield has summed this up in his post. Good advice

good advise there from someone who has land and gets door knockers

i see a lot of it working on a farm in the farm shop as they usually come to the shop 1st,

rather than just going round knocking doors and hoping for some land do as kyska and cranfield have said

do some homework find a problem and then go and ask if you can solve it for them let them see you have put some time and effort in and not just turned up on a whim

i know the farmer i work for appreciates it more

good luck

colin

also the farmers sometimes don't want to upset who they already have if they are doing a good,

i was helping the farmer on a permission i have lambing last year when a guy turns up and says 'i have been sitting in the layby and noticed you have loads of pigeon dropping into your field would you like me to shoot them for you' to which the farmer turned to me and said to me 'do you mind if he shoots them 'i said to farmer it's your land don't need to ask me' he replied 'yeah but i don't want to upset you as you do a good job already'

Edited by colin lad

• 2 weeks later...

I approached a local farm a few months back and was told they didn't have any vermin to worry about and they had a guy take care of what there was...I was polite and said fair enough, and asked them to bear me in mind if the situation changed. Told them a bit about myself ex-forces etc Low powered air rifle safe around barns etc On walking back to the van, I heard the words 'Oh, there might be one or two rats knocking about that cow shed' I turned up that weekend and fortunately shot some truly monster rats and ensured they were seen by the farmers before disposing in the allotted place.

Since then I've been given access to the whole farm plus another farm they manage and annexes, one crawling with rats, :yahoo: well was! The other well stacked out with rabbits, plus corvids.

The fact is if they don't know anything about you, they are unlikely to welcome you with open arms. Turns out the guy that previously shot there hadn't shown up much.

I've certainly had a few abrupt refusals, mainly women...nothing changes there then! :sad1: Such is life. :)

Edited by Agent Orange

don't give up all the above is sound advice.. i have had plenty or rude abrupt people refuse me and yes it can boil your wee at times but hang in there somewhere around there is a farmer that is sick to death of the rabbits or foxes pigeons and wants them rid.. you just gotta find your man... not in a gay way...lol

i always find name dropping helps :good: i also carry a massive folder full of perms licence insurance documents maps cards make you look better more professional

do what needs doing

It's I hard mate but hang in there iv just got shooting rights a few days ago it's taken five yrs to get my own but sick a it join a rifle club and tell ppl that ur into shooting drop hints to everyone lol but don't push ppl if they say no all the best mate

Edited by darkfire88

Where I grew up along with a couple of friends we had thousands of acres of rabbiting some paid for walling in the summer other bits by reputation.

I moved away we got our own farm permission came from other locals and I built up some good shooting.

Then I met my wife and moved to where I am now. for the first ten years I had two permissions neither local. Then one of the local farmers lads moved in down the street. My daughter played with his we had a natter in the street some trust was built up. Then I had one local farm, a problem fox was crossing next door as an easy shot. So I went and asked if I could shoot it while on theirs, "yes its had a load of his chickens get it dead". Two days later I was asked to come see the farmer and given permission, then told to go introduce myself next door the fox was taking chickens there.

The moral here is it might take a while but being polite. Offering/asking to deal with a specific problem. Then with your toe in the door being on call when needed and getting results when asked to will lead to more.