smallest piece of land for a half day walk round

dcliff

I might be able to purchase a little plot of land, with the sole intention of converting it onto a "micro shoot". Dig a pond, plant some trees / bushes / grasses. There's already a small established strip of woodland on it about 200 yards long. And a small river borders the other boundary.

I'm guessing here but I think it's 10 - 15 acres.

I'd also like to encourage other species of plants and animals

Has anyone else done this sort of thing and had any success?

I might be able to purchase a little plot of land, with the sole intention of converting it onto a "micro shoot". Dig a pond, plant some trees / bushes / grasses. There's already a small established strip of woodland on it about 200 yards long. And a small river borders the other boundary.

I'm guessing here but I think it's 10 - 15 acres.

I'd also like to encourage other species of plants and animals

Has anyone else done this sort of thing and had any success?

Iv done it bud on not much more land than that, I have about 20 acre of woodland / ex arable land iv created a pond done some tree planting/ created rides and clearings in the wood. its taken me about three years but im reaping the benefits big time now.

Had the best season ever on the pond, duck bags up ten fold on the previous two years plus I have a little walk round every so often always get a slack handful of pheasants along with the excellent woodcock flighting ( my favourite ) and the occasional deer I can honestly say its been the best investment I have ever made.

If you go ahead don't hesitate to ask and if I can help I will , there are a lot of schemes and grants available from various organisations to assist you, DF

Edited by Double four

Thanks for the replies, guys... encouraging news from you all.

And that book looks great. I've just ordered it online.

It reminds me of a book I read once by Will Garfit, called "Will's Shoot". He bought a small wood years ago, chopped it up, dug some ponds and it became a very well respected little shoot.

Must make sure there no sssi or English nature attached which there probly will be we've got it on the farm I work at 120 acres and you can barley touch a thing took years of begging and bargaining to clean the duck pond out which we can still only do a 1/3 of and a bloke I go shooting with neighbours on to it 14 acres and he's the same has a wet hole and sssi won't let him touch it with a digger to make a pond and they won't let us put a feeder on either parts of land hope this helps atb

Can you please pull up the relevant section of the law on this ?

There is a lot of truth in what the previous post says and sssi can be a nightmare to work with if you want to change things, I was in the running to buy a 30 acre piece that sits in a sssi in the end and after a meeting with Natural England I abandoned it in favour of the smaller piece I have now which still borders the nature reserve but is free from restrictions.

There is a lot of truth in what the previous post says and sssi can be a nightmare to work with if you want to change things, I was in the running to buy a 30 acre piece that sits in a sssi in the end and after a meeting with Natural England I abandoned it in favour of the smaller piece I have now which still borders the nature reserve but is free from restrictions.

I believe robbiep was referring to post 8 as quoted, not post 13.

Can you please pull up the relevant section of the law on this ?

Taken from the BASC website, while not the relevant section of law, it's good enough for me...

...only do so if you have permission to drop shot over the land on the other side. To fire a bullet or shot onto land that you have no

right to shoot into or over is ‘constructive trespass’. Whilst this is a civil matter BASC strongly advises not to do this.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hunters Fen was John Humphreys' (the late and great country sportsman) small patch of forgotten marsh. No more than eight acres, this became John’s “Hunter’s Fen”. It was his favourite spot on earth. He cherished every plant, reed, nest and splash. He created ponds which he fed to welcome a few mallard and on a windy evening in the winter, a special friend would be honoured with an invitation to this inner sanctum of John’s sporting temple. He created that special stage on which each of nature’s players performed until the curtain of darkness fell. In 1990 Hunter’s Fen was highly commended in the Laurent Perrier Awards.

• 4 weeks later...

Dcliff what you are planning sounds brilliant and defiantly something I would love to do in the future. As I have two you children I would not have the time or money to do it.

Just out of interest how much would the land cost as if it was way to much I would come to terms with it as it will never happen

Pm me if you don't want it on a open forum cheers mike

Dcliff what you are planning sounds brilliant and defiantly something I would love to do in the future. As I have two you children I would not have the time or money to do it.

Just out of interest how much would the land cost as if it was way to much I would come to terms with it as it will never happen

Pm me if you don't want it on a open forum cheers mike

Land prices vary hugely. You could buy woodland that has been cleared but must be replanted, that would be very cheap but the planting would cost you time and money. Land that is a SSSI, and has been felled, would be extremely cheap as you can't get any income from it, or do much with it, for years.

On my first ever bought stalking day my guide told me his boss had bought the wood, 100 acres of trees, for only £50K. This was about ten years ago. It was ex Forestry Commission and they still owned all the timber until it was cropped. But it was absolutely lifting with deer!! Got both my first Fallow and Muntjac that day.