Price of our shoot

Hi guys,

As our season draws to a close a couple of our guns think its to expensive.

Currently we pay £550, for this we get,

Six driven days shooting.

One walk about at end of season.

It's driven and they stand for five drives a day.

Height of birds vary from "easy to hard" 30-70yards.

They have hot dogs tea/coffee biscuits in the morning. Lunch soup tea coffee cake.

We put down 800 pheasants, 100 partridge, 50 duck.

Three picker uppers

Fifteen beaters

Six acres of cover crops

Rent of land

We averaged 38 birds for the six days and just short of 200 shots per day.

Is this the going rate? To cheap to expensive?

Thanks for your thoughts as none of them have ever had to pay for shooting elsewhere.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many guns are in the syndicate? Their cartridge ratio is pretty poor. I suspect some of the guns have got their calculators out are wondering why it is falling short of the mythical 33% return that journalists love to talk about, and hence the question re: price. But at the end of the day this is a meaningless figure on its own.

When you say that the average is 38 birds over the course of the season is this pheasant, partridge and duck only or does this include pigeon, woodcock etc..

At that sort of money whoever is doing the keepering must be virtually doing it for free, or maybe all the guns help out in a working syndicate. 15 beaters is quite a lot, but only you know terrain of the land and whether that is essential. I doubt you can do it for less money, no-one will be pocketing a profit here once their time has any value placed on it.

It's good.

I am in a syndicate which runs at cost with the keeper doing much of the work as a hobby. There are12 (which average about 8 turn out on a day) guns each paying £665. For that we shoot over 10 days plus each week in January. We put down 700 Pheasant and 200 duck. Average is around 30 to 40 birds and 120 shots (this can vary depending on sweep stake :-)). We limit ducks to two sporting each till end of season when we have to clear as much as ***. We also have to pay beaters about £10 each day and a few quid in the pot for stew.

For me its as much about the company, shared interests and banter as the shooting.

If i was just after the shooting I would stick with the crows and pigeons.

good value our shoot produces exactly the same returns for shots etc

we dont put partridge down but 150 ducks ,same pheasants

you seem to have a lot of beaters we only have about 5/6 with two others picking up ..they dont get paid

on our shoot it would cost more than £800

no one is paid and there is no profit made..

That is very good value shooting, that really is walk 1 stand 1 money not stand all day.

I would not worry u about ur % ur not far off ur 30% (i take it still got keepers/beaters day to come) and it has been a very funny year this year, some shoots are breaking records yet others nearby are unusually poor. Sounds like the guns are getting plenty of bangs so thats all u can do.

I take it as others have said the keeper/captain is not taking any money other than expenses if that? Do all syndicate members help feed, look birds, build pens etc?

Usually the folk that moan the most are the people who do the least, always busy on work party days yet never miss a shoot day and tend to be a bit 'hungry' too on a shoot day.

The best way is to have a shoot meeting and just lay the facts out straight X for birds and feed, Y for rent, Z for beaters shoot day expenses etc so they know exactly where all the money goes, possibly have some prices for nearby estates of wot they would charge for a 50 or 100 bird day. Think they might be in for a shock

If there still not happy tell them to find some cheaper shooting and get on with it

If it is a non profit shoot which it sounds like , u have a couple of choices, possibly less birds, or less beaters or more guns and go to a walk 1 stand 1(which would save u a bit as no beaters + twice the guns, but also half the shooting) While i think it is good u have 3 pickers i have been on a lot bigger days than that and only been 3 of us, but possibly the ground needs that many

Edited by scotslad

Where are you?

Sounds great value to me.

I currently shoot in a syndicate 9 driven days ( this year due to 1 feb rule) £1250 in Surrey. 800 birds down.

Would probably suggest we will be in the 33% bracket, with best day around 60, but some rainy day 20's obviously.

It's about the company and the day out, not the bag.

If you have spare guns sounds like you would not have a problem to fill them

do the 3 picker uppers get paid??? Seems very excessive for a 30-40 bird shoot? Costs could be cut there, potentially as well as the beaters BUT extremely good value if you ask me.

I think its reasonable , the bag is always going to be low if the guns need to average 200 shots to shoot 40 birds !

Hi guys,

Just to answer we are the West Sussex/ Hampshire border.

We really need the three pickers because on most drives the guns are either split by river or hedges etc.

Beater wise the number is fine because we blank parts/push others at the same time.

Bag consists of duck, pheasant and partridge.

Best day 66 least day 19.

Still have beaters day

Still have keepers day

The keepering is done between three of us

Thanks so far, good to know people think its good value, its only our second season, may need an odd new member!