Price of our shoot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi elby,

Yes we put down ex later pheasants, £3 each.

The partridge are late ones, no problem thus far and they are cheaper, £3.50 each.

Ducks are £3.65 each.

We get the land very very cheaply.

Don't buy pellet.

About 6/7 ton of wheat, some of which is sweepings for hand feeding.

We are lucky with beaters, as they don't want paying, same with picker uppers, but I believe the atmosphere/banter is what brings them back. I covered them at the start because we feed them breakfast and lunch.

Can I say thanks so far as everyone, pretty much the opinion is of value for money.there have been some good points made aswell.

The more comments people make on a forum like this the stronger my argument as I can take my lap top to our next meeting!

Edited by Mr pigeon

I wish I could get into a shoot like that. If they think they are not getting value for there money, they should see the **** syndicate that I have just left, half way through the second day. l am also sure many more will not be returning to that syndicate for next season. If the guys from the syndicate mentioned in the OP have any sense, they will stay where they are.

Edited by Blunderbust

Guest rimotu66

Having read through the replies and what you are paying I think it is time I looked for another syndicate to join, I pay a lot more for less. I will have to have a look to see what is available around Lincolnshire especially a working shoot as I like to get stuck in.

Rimotu, before u jump ship i'd say that shoot is exceptional value, not paying any rent, free beaters and a fair bit of free wheat too i'd say. There is also a few others who are getting exceptional value for there money.

The unfortunate fact is most syndicates have to pay for rent, feed etc so there is no way they will ever come close to some off the sydicates/prices mentioned above.

If u enjoy it where u are just stick with it, these cheap shoots will be few and far between, i'm lucky to be surrounded by loads of wee diy shoots in sw scotland and all are paying similarish money (some a bit more some a bit less) reflected in the ammount of birds put down but all are walk 1 stand 1, so no beaters and costs divided 14-20 ways

that's a very good price and plenty of birds being put down, I joined a syndicate for £315 there was 5 shoots last shoot got cancelled because there wasn't any birds to shoot, and I we shot about 40 birds throughout the 4 shoots I attended, the last shoot I didn't attended was because there was to much walking and no shooting, the last 3 shoots we received 5-6 birds in each bag - which I have left, hopefully something like this will pop up around Norfolk/Suffolk area.

Edited by RobC1990

Thats good value, but,

The return rate of about 25% does need looking at though. say 40 a day, 9 guns = 4 or 5 per gun per day, 30 a year, under £20 bird, you cant buy it for that, but I would be thinking can I spare a day for 4 or 5 rather than the cost, I think that is your guns main issue.

Get that return up to 40%, so a bag of around 400 or 65 a day and you will have them eating out of your hands.

As a shoot captain you cant have the tail wagging the dog, by all means listen to the guns at the annual meeting but dont stop any that want to leave, they are shooting at 5 to 1 anyway which is not to good frankly, that does not help your return rate. My team shoot at around 3 -1 across the season, they wont lift a gun at a 25 yard bird.

Get your new team working on improving holding woods between now and mid March, plan to release Old English Blacknecks as these dont normally wander to far. Drop the partridges, returns are very poor due to birds of prey. Make sure you have plenty of feeders and drinkers on the ground, keep feed going out till Mid May to get those breeding hens into ideal nick. Organise Larsen and tunnel trapping to start pretty soon and get on top of the foxes with a centerfire rifle and lamp. No centerfire on the shoot, ask here, you will find some one to nail them pretty easy once the ground dries up.

Organise a rota to tend the traps, 6am is a smashing time of day to be about. If they have a small centerfire or HMR so much the better, over a season I rifle about 25% of the crows/magpies I take.

A

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 3 weeks later...

very good value, only you know this but don't let % return bother you if you are putting the birds over the guns which a

ratio of 1/5 suggests. the politics of home made shoots are strange, had a similar problem, every man expects his pound of

flesh for pence. Ask the straight question at the shoot meeting are you in or out when they moan (think they will go quite)

Another point to make is on these types of shoot is that they pay there money to shoot with you, not to vote and are there

as really a sort of paying guest.