Essex Shotgun Application delays

Travlaa

Hi, I am new to this site and this will be my first post. I sent in my application for my Shotgun Certificate around 11 weeks ago, and about 2 1/2 weeks later the FEO came round and did his inspection (all fine and he was happy to approve). It has now been 8 weeks since he came round so I decided to give the Firearms department a call and chase it up.

I have been told that they are so short staffed that they haven't even touched the pile of Applicants they have at the moment, as they have a back log of renewals? Sounds like alot of people are in the same position as me, waiting for a grant that isn't likely to come any time soon.

Is there any way I can speed this up and get them to process it? They have been unable to give me a time scale, and it has already exceeded there 8-10 weeks (given on the website). I am reluctant to complain as feel they could just decide to reject my application.

Thanks

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Mate,

Where about in Essex are you?

I'm near Colchester area and I recently changed address and I phoned my FEO and asked him how long as I wanted to buy more ammo and he did me a favour, but said that the piles are immense as a couple of FEO's have left and they are trying to cover workload.

I think this is being seen and felt around different parts of the country. Some forces are still really good but others have suffered terribly as a result of the policing budget cuts that were imposed. Mine for example was/is West Midlands and they have merged with Staffordshire firearms licensing and made some FEO's redundant. Other forces have done the same so I believe. The guys that came to see me were actually Armed Response officers. They were helping to try and clear a back log of applications and renewals built up since the merger.

Phone call might help to basc and also to your FEO.

Thanks guys, I am in the Great Dunmow area, I think I will give my FEO a call this afternoon and see if there is anything he can do for me. Looking to buy a gun off a friend of mine, but doubt he can hold onto it for much longer as he needs the money for his new one

I have been waiting since September for my FAC and 8 weeks since my FEO visit, she stated all ok on the visit and 2-6 weeks should see it through,now at 16 weeks since application, phoned them this week and told its on "The Supervisors" desk, from what I'm reading it's a bloody big desk.

The wait will go on no doubt

As an update, I spoke with them again today, apparently they moved offices last week which has slowed things down even more. Told they are currently processing the Grant applications that were received in October (I am guessing that will include yours owo1-man), and they will be getting round to the November applications in a few weeks time. Could be a very long and frustrating wait by the sounds of things.

I spoke with the guys from the BASC, they are very good and know exactly what is going on. Although they did say to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a week. If I haven't heard anything by Monday, then speak to Nick Alston the police crime commissioner.

Apparently this time of year is supposed to be he quietest time for grants and renewals.

I checked with my local FEO office today that they had received my completed application and that all was correct and present. It was received approx three weeks ago, I asked how long the wait is likely to be and they said between four and six months. Surely this can't be correct?