Essex Shotgun Application delays

Travlaa

It seams that is the case, i re-checked the notes it definately does not mention the need to have the referee sign the photo just the applicant.

On page 9 of the application form it says this :-

9. I have seen the details given by ...............
(insert full name of applicant) which are true to the best of my knowledge. I have known the applicant for ?? years and know of no reason why she/he should not be granted or have renewed a shotgun or firearm certificate as applicable. I have signed and dated the reverse of one of the photographs submitted with the application and declare that it is a current true likeness. I also understand it is an offence under section 28A(7) of the Firearms Act to knowingly or recklessly make a false declaration for the purpose of procuring for another the grant or renewal of a certificate.
Signature of referee:
Print name:
Date:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote an email to the chief of Essex police and to my MP saying that the wait was unacceptable and if the police were a private company I'd go elsewhere!

and some other bits and pieces but I didn't really want to post as I know whats now going to happen!!!

Ok good stuff I'll let you know how I get on :)

On page 9 of the application form it says this :-

9. I have seen the details given by ...............

(insert full name of applicant) which are true to the best of my knowledge. I have known the applicant for ?? years and know of no reason why she/he should not be granted or have renewed a shotgun or firearm certificate as applicable. I have signed and dated the reverse of one of the photographs submitted with the application and declare that it is a current true likeness. I also understand it is an offence under section 28A(7) of the Firearms Act to knowingly or recklessly make a false declaration for the purpose of procuring for another the grant or renewal of a certificate.

Signature of referee:

Print name:

Date:

Not on my form. No 9 is :- how long Has the referee known to you.

No where on any page does it say what you have quoted. Prehaps essex have a different form?

Not on my form. No 9 is :- how long Has the referee known to you.

No where on any page does it say what you have quoted. Prehaps essex have a different form?

Quite possible :) I copied & pasted above, so that's it word for word. As you say maybe each force differs. I don't recall signing my pic at all, just my referee. At the end of the day they never even contacted him, I think they just want to see you have friends etc, not a Billy no mates :sad1:

Have you contacted your shooting organisation?

i haven't spoke to basf yet if thats who you mean? my cert has been issued!!! :) i have the FEO coming round tomorrow to deliver it as special conditions have been added to it stating that i can't keep a gun at my address because of my brother so i'm going to have a chat with him tomorrow then speak to basc if i feels its unfair. i have no knowledge of any reason that my brother is a criminal or has ever even been in trouble with the police and neither does he have any idea why this is but ill find out tomorrow! positive is at least its been issued!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The email from PCC

Dear Mr P

Following your further email below we have contacted Assistant Chief Constable Mason, who is the lead Officer for Firearms licensing.

We were advised that Essex Police have utilised flexible working practices and an overtime budget to try and reduce the processing time, but it is recognised that there has been a significant increase in the administrative requirements. Therefore, further to discussion of the firearms licensing process at the Chief Officers Meeting Group held this week, it was agreed that 5 additional staff should be recruited to the Firearms licensing department.

We were assured that Essex Police are making every effort to process applications as quickly as possible, and that to date, all renewal applications have been completed before the expiry date of the existing licence. Furthermore, those applications where a firearm or shotgun is directly relevant to the person's occupation (e.g. vermin control at Southend Airport) are prioritised.

There is no further information that we can provide in relation to this matter. Should you remain dissatisfied with the service you receive please dial Essex Police switchboard on 101 and ask for the Quality of Service Team. They are open between 9 and 5 every day except Sunday.

Yours sincerely

Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner