puntgunners

marsh man

Just another true storie you may find amusing marsh man .Early 1980s we used fatten geese and muscovie ducks for Christmas that year we had 30 to dress for customers.So the Friday before Xmas we fastened them up and started to slaughter them when we had realised that there were two missing and we were two short for our orders we looked every where fo find them but could not locate them any where.Saturday came still no trace of them then dad located them on other side river behind our farm about 80yds away go fetch rifle and the dog he said.Resting the gun on a post I made two good head shots and we had our muscovie ducks two good retrieves by Ben the Labrador and they were smiles all round.Went back home for lunch hung the ducks in the pantry to dress them later.Half way through lunch there was a knock on the door it was Ishbell from next door had we seen Jelly and Custard her pet muscovie ducks that she had for 10 years quick as a flash dad said no we had not seen them but if we did we would let her know.Ten minutes later my sister came in and said the two ducks were back in the pen.We laid Jelly and Custard to rest in a hole over looking the river cause they might have been a bit tough.

We all make mistakes, no one is perfect :good::lol:

Matt, if you ever get a punt make sure its not like your land rovers or we will have the air sea rescue on 24hr call.

I think eel babbling is what I would call 'totting' worms thread on wool ???? not done that for years. Also used to use a fyke net and take live eels to Lynn for the markets !

Matt, if you ever get a punt make sure its not like your land rovers or we will have the air sea rescue on 24hr call.

I think eel babbling is what I would call 'totting' worms thread on wool ???? not done that for years. Also used to use a fyke net and take live eels to Lynn for the markets !

I think there is a punt gunner or two on here who could tell us about having the coast guard out!

I may have seen the underside of a Sea King!!!!!!!

As for single or double, double every time, one can pole while one guns, one can stay with the punt while one picks up, one can row while one shoots cripples, one can row while one bails, one can help if you hurt your self, one can help you back in the punt if you fall in, one can help if you get stuck in mud, and last but by no means leased YOU WON'T DROWEN ALONE.

Edited by House Boat

Hi Houseboat hows life treating you up north old beauty ,hope your getting out a few times in this mild weather ,seeing the underside of a Sea King is nothing to worry about but when you see the underside of your boat while your out at sea well that's a different kettle of fish Yes I agree I would prefer a double punt mainly room enough for two people and I found it more stable when there was a bit of a blow on ,our single one got a move but was hard work pushing on to something with a cross wind Do you know if your boat is the longest one afloat or is there a bigger one ,I very much dowet it ,yours must have been the one I saw at the Fenland Fair it certainly looked the business a real man of war ,if it was round our way we would have called it the Ark Royal then ours would have been destroyers and frigates in comparison anyhow be good and try and keep yer head above water

• 4 weeks later...

There yer go marsh man,

some really interesting history about Breydon you have told us, but could I ask you a couple or so questions please. Where was Defty's boatshed?

What sort of punt gun did he use, a real old fully stocked muzzle loader or a screw breach? Can you remember what sort of rig out the old boy wore when punting. A couple of other things, when you bought your punt of Diamond Allen was that when he retired and where did you keep the punt and does it still survive. And lastly do you know anything about the derelict punt shed at the North End between the old Bowling Green boundary and Travis Perkins by the pill box. Sorry to ask so many questions but I had been hoping to find this stuff out for a while now.

• 5 months later...

When I was younger my father told me more than a few stories about George, if I remember correctly, George lost his hearing in an industrial accident at an ice works where he slipped and fell down a loading chute into a barge that was waiting to be loaded.

Dad says his punt gun was a screw breech Holland & Holland. He also made comment that if Georges shed hasnt been demolished or cleaned up, his 12ga ammo belt is still probably hanging up in there after he took it off when George asked him how many duck or geese he thought he was going to be able to shoot...

Dad lives in Australia now but was born in Ormesby and has many fond memories of the area.

• 3 weeks later...