Rifle Advice

Ace01

Hi :good:

Looking for some advice on how to get into rifle shooting.

I currently shoot shotguns and have done for the past 3 years, i have permission on a small farm local to where i work, i also attend the odd day shoot and i enjoy Saturday Mornings on the clay's, but surprisingly i don't really know anyone that shoots rifles.

I enjoyed shooting the air rifle when i was much younger from targets in the garden to nipping to my dad's friends farms, and this initially got me into the shotgun but i have had the urge to have a go for a while and now decided it time to take the plunge, though not sure on how to get started.

Not interested in big Calibre's to begin with, would like to start small, maybe a .17hmr or.22lr and then maybe over time and depending on situations, then think about larger Calibre's.

I did see on another page a advert for a day's tuition for deer, which did look a stunning day and grabbed my attention straight away. But after thinking about it i'd rather start small and work my way up to something like that.

I guess what im asking for is other people's experiences and what people suggest to get started.

All Comment appreciated :innocent:

You have already answered your own question in a very positive and sensible posting,, A sensible attitude to start with always is a good start, start small and learn the basics/safety etc ,learn the ballistics of the calibre and practice ,practice practice,

Happy FAC development mate,

You have the land to shoot on , so get your fac in and start learning,

ATB

Flynny

PS, if you know someone with the mentioned calibres, get out with them at any chance you can, also this forum is great, most questions will be answered sensibly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by flynny

If you have many rabbits on your permissions apply for the .22LR & .17HMR and go from there. Sure someone on here local to you will take you out on your permission with their rifle and show you some basics at a target.

I got .22LR & .17HMR for rabbit and corvid control on my permission of about 12 acres. Not an open certificate, but i will ask for that when i put in for a variation/renewal

Thanks you both for your replies,

The Land i have i'm not sure is 100% suitable as it does have a country road that runs along one side and the farm house in bang in the middle, though it is about 14 acres and is pretty hilly.

There aren't many bunny's but plenty of corvids that are getting increasingly difficult to shoot with the shotgun. Though the pigeon shooting was excellent last year.

Should i apply for a FAC with my current permission and see what the out come is or is there anything i can do to enhance my chances of getting my FAC.

Thanks

You need to be pretty skilled and a bit lucky to shoot many crows with the .22 lr. They soon learn range and their vision is massively better than we might comprehend. The road and the house are risks, all land has risks! The solution is to manage those risks ie. don't shoot directly towards them, even with a reasonable "backstop" (you often here this unsafe zone referred to as "backdrop".)

HMR is about minimum for doing any good with crows (personally I don't rate in on crow due to temperamental terminal performance). If your area allow it try and go small CF from the off for crows .22 hornet, .17 rem etc. this has long been recognised by the cops as suitable and also good for foxing.

The above are not more dangerous than a rimfire, despite what some say as the bullet should always end up safely into the backstop yet both can equally shoot into unsafe zones or leave the land in error. 140000 acres (rather than 14) still has boundaries that can be exceeded just depends on how close to the edge you get

Thanks for your post's

Kent

Looking at the layout of the land i currently have permission on there are probably one maybe 2 safe lines of fire with safe backdrop, so i will put this on my application but i'm always on the look out for more suited permissions.

Good Shot, Thank you for your offer :D. This would be great, eager to have a go and learn along the way. Will reply to your pm shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Your welcome anytime Ace01,enjoyed it myself too.

By the way, having spoke about possible dud rounds blocking rifle bore to make you aware of it, we happened to see this actually happen with the HMR and that was a first for me also, so one good lesson learned and reinforced.

Blockage cleared within a minute when I got home so right tool for the job will now be carried in car.

Feel sure your FAC appllcation will be successful.

:good:

Hi

You will be happy to know my application went on Monday along with my change of address details as advised by the FAC officers in North Wales, so let see what happen's :yes:

To be honest i know no one wants a jam in the guns or dud round but i did find that happening pretty useful and i saw exactly how switched on you have to be when out shooting at target's as i'm sure many people out there will have fired a round behind the miss fire one so a good lesson to learn :smartass:

Any way thanks again as soon as im out and about i have your number i will surly return the favor and if you do need help with anything give me a call :good:

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Just a quick up date on my FAC, I can confirm that i had my home visit and permission visit this week and have been confirmed for FAC air, 22LR and 17HMR and i should receive my licence through the post over the next week or two :) .

Big thanks to Good Shot for taking me out on his permission to have a go, that little bit of experience did help significantly in the application and i do very much appreciate all the help and advice he gave. Good shot is certainly invited to come shooting with my self on my permission.

When i get a little more experience i will be doing the same and will take a newbie out to gain some experience to assist with there own FAC application.

Thanks again

Chris :good:

Thanks all

Robbiep,

From sending in my application to having my home and land checked it has taken exactly 5 months, when the FEO was at mine he did say applications are taking longer than normal because he is covering two areas due to long term sick ness and the FEO covering the two area's is on holiday for two weeks as of next week so that will push it back a little. It's is a frustrating wait but everyone is busy. Well worth it tho.

Hope your friend gets sorted soon :good: