Carp fishing

biketestace

My friend Rich Wilby runs Airfield Lake (I assume you mean the ones at Dickleburgh, Norfolk?). His father owns the farm that the lakes are on.

http://airfieldlakes.com/

Mustang is good for a few runs. Spitfire, for those deep of pocket has some stunning fish including THAT common.

Greetings,

Im getting close to booking my annual 2 nights out and fancy a change from my normal haunts,

Heading east this year and have read about a few places,

Has anyone tried Airfield Lakes ?

Taswood is another option, your advice would be most welcome,

Bta

Greetings,

Im getting close to booking my annual 2 nights out and fancy a change from my normal haunts,

Heading east this year and have read about a few places,

Has anyone tried Airfield Lakes ?

Taswood is another option, your advice would be most welcome,

Bta

Been to airfield a couple of times and fished Mustang, its a good clean venue but very much a commercial style fishery. From what i saw the fish tend to group around together so you will either have a busy day or a quiet day, with enough food going in for them to make it hard to tempt them onto yours, best chance i would say of a good haul is going when its quiet and being prepared to move around a bit.

Thanks for the replys,

Mustang was the 1st choice, but as I now only get one (poss two trips) a year, im tempted with a heavy stocked water,

Leeds Chimp hits the nail on the head, gone are the days of not being too bothered if I caught or not :)

A venue offering clean facilities is a must and peg sizes that can take a 2 man bivvy is ideal, I carry far to much !

As for fish size, as long as fish up to 30lb are in there, id be happy, (cat fish excluded)

Making the 3 or so hour journey doesn't matter as it adds to that "time off" feeling,

Maybe im looking for the impossible ?

Bta

Thanks for the replys,

Mustang was the 1st choice, but as I now only get one (poss two trips) a year, im tempted with a heavy stocked water,

Leeds Chimp hits the nail on the head, gone are the days of not being too bothered if I caught or not :)

A venue offering clean facilities is a must and peg sizes that can take a 2 man bivvy is ideal, I carry far to much !

As for fish size, as long as fish up to 30lb are in there, id be happy, (cat fish excluded)

Making the 3 or so hour journey doesn't matter as it adds to that "time off" feeling,

Maybe im looking for the impossible ?

Bta

really spoilt then

you have catch 22 ..good water,,,,,not my cup of tea but ok

swangey lakes ..really good for a run, loads of cats and bream tho

taswood is ok..again ...3 lakes depends what you want but again personally not my cup of tea

i would go for catch 22 and try and get on the island peg

• 8 months later...

If you only have a couple of nights and want to catch some fish Catch 22 would take some beating , clean toilets / shower and a cafe , the day ticket lake has done fish to 40lb a very good head of 30s and a average size of around 20lb

This time of year I would be looking to fish pegs 6 - 29 its not worth paying the extra to fish the island at this time of year as it fishes much better spring / summer

I take it you know Rich? Studied at Sparsholt and fished with him a fair bit. Not been to his lakes yet, but he has done a great job and that common is something else.

As you say, he is a truly nice guy.

I see my fellow nash consultant and geniune nice guy Rich Wilby,s day ticket lake is producing plenty of 30's now. The hard work is paying off :)

Last time I was at Airfield I'm sure Rich said there is now atleast 28 fish over 30lb, could of been more, the common hasnt been out for around 4 months and it was 37+ then so could well be 40 now.

A real shame about the oxygen crash a few weeks ago, he only lost a handful of carp mind and I think only 1 of those was 30+.

Good job he knows his stuff and dealt with the problem sharpish.

It's fishing it's nuts off at the moment so well worth a visit.

• 4 weeks later...