Cold smoker

rtaylor

I've been messing around and knocked up a cold smoker (I hope). Just made it out of two gas bottles. The top lifts off the smaller one to put the shavings in and then it pipes it into the bigger one which has racks to put the meat on. The smaller one (burner) has 6 8mm holes drilled around the bottom, would this allow enough air in? I know I only want to smoulder the shavings not burn them.

I'm going to try for a test to smoke a couple of duck breasts using oak electric planner shavings.

My questions is do I need to wet the shavings first and how long should I smoke something like a couple of breasts for? Also this might sound dumb but I've never used a smoker before, I'm assuming I still need to cook the breasts after I've smoked them? I'm going to get a book on it but I want to have a go ASAP.

post-24801-0-24227800-1390932279_thumb.jpg

You need to cure the meat first, either with a dry rub (best) or wet in a brine and then smoke it for at least 4 hours - Wet wood is best as it produces more smoke and will smolder better. The only thing you might have trouble with is maintaining the level of smoke. It works easiest with a gas burner on a fairly low setting under a tray with wood dust on it as your heat source is constant and you just need to top up the dust every now and then.

There is tons of stuff available on the net if you need any pointers.