punt gun rebuild

winchester79

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures, she's a beauty!

What's the cartridge sides made from, looks like plastic from the picture?

the head is brass and i use varnished card wrapped round the head then glue it in place with epoxy, its primed with a .32 pistol blank then 2oz of course black powder

a disc of card then 2.5/3" of wadding 12oz shot finished with a card an sealed with silocone sealer. any plastic would burn through during the long burn of black powder

Hi

Cracking gun have you given any thoughts to modern loads for it or is hawkers black powder still available

Many thanks for posting pictures

All the best

Of

sadly hawkers powder along with capt latours have as far as i know been discontinued, i am planning to use Swiss cannon powder for her its not cheep but very powerful and consistent, henry kranks also produces a punt gun powder which is slightly cheaper.

i have no intention to try to use nitro i want a long progressive burn with steady pressure, i have tried nitro loads in my 4.25" double 8 and they are rubbish now i only use black and she shoots well and hits very hard at long range.

all the best..ian

the head is brass and i use varnished card wrapped round the head then glue it in place with epoxy, its primed with a .32 pistol blank then 2oz of course black powder

a disc of card then 2.5/3" of wadding 12oz shot finished with a card an sealed with silocone sealer. any plastic would burn through during the long burn of black powder

Sounds good, I can't seem to fine those .32 carts, got the .380 but I have been told from a friend (has a punt) that there a little to sharp for a 1.5" bore and a 3oz load. Can I have your opinion?

What wadding do you use, oakum or wool felt?

Regards

T

Edited by Anth6568

Sounds good, I can't seem to fine those .32 carts, got the .380 but I have been told from a friend (has a punt) that there a little to sharp for a 1.5" bore and a 3oz load. Can I have your opinion?

What wadding do you use, oakum or wool felt?

Regards

T

my mistake the primers are.320 fiocchi they give a really good burn and i have had no problems at all with them as they are not over powered which causes the primer to blow back against the pin, the wadding is made from builders matting it looks like fiber wadding but in a sheet about 0.5" thick and very cheap!! then i just cut them with a 1.25" wad punch.

in the next month or two i am having a set of tools made for making 1.5" cup seals which sit over the powder like an upside down bowl which under fire opens out and makes an excellent seal right up the barrel and prevents any gas loss during the shot :)

I'll google them later, I like the idea of the wads. Could you send us some pictures once they are made?

I've looked at oakum and felt and of the two the latter is the cheapest. The felt needs to be of the wool type and of a particular grade so it doesn't melt and cause issues.

Have you got a link to the wad you use?

Regards

T

Edited by Anth6568

I'll google them later, I like the idea of the wads. Could you send us some pictures once they are made?

I've looked at oakum and felt and of the two thd latter is the cheapest. The felt needs to be of the wool type and of a particular grade so it doesn't melt and cause issues.

Have you got a link to the wad you use?

Regards

T

best looking on travis perkings web site or any builders merchants, just a thought on cheap wads...old rope! if you cut it into about 3" lengths then pull it into strands then compact into your shell it makes a very good wad giving a good seal and plenty of power, i have tried this in the 8 and it works a treat!! just a note though you need to use a thick card disc on top of the powder and under shot.

further down the scale and an old favorite of muzzle loading punt guns is to use newspaper screwed up tight and rammed firm onto the powder just try to burn newspaper when its compressed into a ball!!!

hope this helps :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll check those web sites over the weekend.

Do you have the chamber cut and does it match the wall of the cartridge?

Regards

T

most screw breech guns are chamber-less and mine is of this type the shell has a 2mm wall thickness but thats why i use cup seals and good quality wadding which gives complete orbatration under pressure giving a sound seal up the barrel. i am having brass shells made for the gun that will fit exactly and will have a much thinner wall thickness

cheers :)

Thanks for the information, to be honest I was looking at not cutting a chamber as the wall thickness is only 0.5mm with a brown paper cartridge. I guessed that the pressure would expand the wad slightly to fill any gaps, plus having the wad nearly twice the length of the bore size would help too.

I tried to locate that builders matting but nothing comes up on any searches on the internet. I did find the plumbers hemp though. You don't have any links do you?

Regards

T