punt gun rebuild

winchester79

Thanks for the information, to be honest I was looking at not cutting a chamber as the wall thickness is only 0.5mm with a brown paper cartridge. I guessed that the pressure would expand the wad slightly to fill any gaps, plus having the wad nearly twice the length of the bore size would help too.

I tried to locate that builders matting but nothing comes up on any searches on the internet. I did find the plumbers hemp though. You don't have any links do you?

Regards

T

for the life of me i cannot find what the stuff is called, i will be in travis perkins this week so will have a look at what they call it.

cheers

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on the look out for a film made in the 70's called "the punt gunners" staring James Robertson Justice

it was on VHS and can't imagine it was ever put on to dvd.

Thanks

It was never put on dvd, it has lawrence thompson,on the gun with toby bromley,and is set on the wash out from the light houses.

I think you are looking for expantion board builders use it in big concrete floors it's what I use for wading in my small gun.

Plumbers hemp with a little drop of wax oil worked in works well.

I'm not doing very well searching for these items, never heard of wax oil? Which would you recommend?

Regards

T

I think you are looking for expantion board builders use it in big concrete floors it's what I use for wading in my small gun.

Plumbers hemp with a little drop of wax oil worked in works well.

I'm not doing very well searching for these items, never heard of wax oil? Which would you recommend?

Regards

T

if its the wax oil i'm thinking of, its used for protecting cars from rust, halfords sell it. ( that reminds me i need to get some for the landy! )

Just in case anyone wondered.

Oakum has a high oil and tar content. Upon firing the material compresses, but the "moist" components, being essentiall liquid especially with the associated heat, will not compress.

This leads to excellent obturation and prevents the wad column from being completely compressed. This is the reason for adding waxoyle to the plumbers hemp.

Another method whcih utilzes similar aspect of physics is the thick white wool felt main driving wads which are "deep fried" in old fashioned lard. Upon ignition of the main charge they have the same qualities of preventing the complete compression of the main wadding material and enable the use of an efficient, but much shorter wad column. They are,essentially, a liquid wad.

Edited by mudpatten

The letter system for punt gun bore sizes appears to be something used only by a small section of the gun trade.

I know it exists but,sadly, can`t help with any details.

I don`t know of a single gunner who, in conversation, would refer to his gun by the letter code.

Be interesting to know what it actually is.

The letter system for punt gun bore sizes appears to be something used only by a small section of the gun trade.

I know it exists but,sadly, can`t help with any details.

I don`t know of a single gunner who, in conversation, would refer to his gun by the letter code.

Be interesting to know what it actually is.

Ah ha found it, and they go like this..

1"bore= I

1.25" bore=J

1.5" bore=K

1.75 bore=L

2" bore=M

Why they start at letter "I" i am not sure and as the vast majority were never formally proofed there is very little information about.

MP i will get it in the post tomorrow, been so busy with fallen trees i have not had chance.

Just found this topic. Good looking renovation - love to see the wooden ribs etc. under the skin of the boat...

hi fella,glad you like the project there is more than an hour or two gone into the build but now the seasons at its end i should get it done by may

just in time for flatty fishing out on the sands :)

hi fella,glad you like the project there is more than an hour or two gone into the build but now the seasons at its end i should get it done by may

just in time for flatty fishing out on the sands :)

after 9hrs working in 60mph gales and torrential rain we got her decks on there was so much rain today i had to pump the water out three times!

the next job will be fitting the strakes and the wash boards, hope the weather calms down a bit...fingers crossed

for the life of me i cannot find what the stuff is called, i will be in travis perkins this week so will have a look at what they call it.

cheers

One thing springs to mind inodorous felt may not be the correct spelling used as a vapour barrier under sheet metal roofs. Also try rope yarn or tow once used to caulk run lead joints.

Blackpowder

• 2 weeks later...