Chip fat

islandgun

In an earlier thread which I can't find (not the first time iv'e lost the thread) someone mentioned using veg oil as fuel, I have a 94 shogun and diesel here is getting on for £1-50 a liter, I would appreciate any ideas/ thoughts, Iv'e down loaded stuff off the internet and I'm getting keen. cheers

Thanks for the replies, Do you use off the shelf straight cooking oil or the filtered used oil, if the filtered do you filter your own?

I do look at the POCUK web site and its very good but I sometimes find it difficult to pin stuff down, probably just me but PW seems more straightforward

Thanks for the replies, Do you use off the shelf straight cooking oil or the filtered used oil, if the filtered do you filter your own?

I do look at the POCUK web site and its very good but I sometimes find it difficult to pin stuff down, probably just me but PW seems more straightforward

Have a look on http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/index.php

Lots of stuff to read there! If your Shogun is suitable to run on straight veg, then it would be sensible to buy 10 throwaway see-through prefilters on Ebay (about £1.50 each) & fit one in the main fuel feed before your existing filter. Keep an eye on that when you first start using veg, as a lot of **** may come out of the tank. Veg dissolves all the old diesel dregs sat in the bottom of the tank. Be prepared to change filters a few times until the **** stops coming, then change your main filter & away you go. I run 100% veg from Bookers @80p/litre from say April until October, then I add 5% petrol for normal winter weether. If it get around freezing, then I just add diesel until the weather warms up a bit. I've run my Korando for three years now, I did advance the injection timing about two years back which improved performance, not that I'd noticed much difference, though veg is smoother in this old Merc engine.

If you can get a good supply of used cooking oil and filter it you quid in I do recommend a diselveg kit as it comes with a separate tank and a preheater which make starting easier also give you the opportunity to switch from veg to diesel on the flick of a switch one thing to look out for is a Bosch fuel pump these are a big nono in my experience its kanufes them very quickly you will find you need to change filters more often but what's a tenner when your saving hundreds

Atb scott

I used to make bio . I would recommend new oil to do away with the fading around. We used to filter to less than a micron but because chip shops fry fish and chicken then the oil will always have animal tallow in it which goes hard and blocks the filters. You can clean the oil using caustic and wash with water but if not done properly it will destroy your fuel system. Look around and ask around oil used to pop up from all sorts of sources for me in Liverpool , it was nothing to get a couple of 1000 litres for not much cash from tank cleaning companies

Thanks all for some great tips, I'm definitely going for it, using off the shelf oil mixed with diesel to start then try to source used and filtering, there should be plenty locally, I will get some of the filters recommended by pycoed, I did wonder about animal fat, b9johny thanks for pointing it out, i will post with the result

cheers

• 1 month later...

Just an update,

I'm using bio diesel and straight diesel mix the bio is available locally, I also use veg oil off the shelf, I'm very pleased with the results, performance has improved! an advisory on the old MOT said to look at the injectors, it did hesitate at 2500 revs but that is vastly improved, due i think to the cleaning influence of the veg oil, I still need to change the fuel filter! It has developed a small leak from the seal at the tank or from the tank filter itself.

I would recommend this switch to others if not for the environmental considerations then for the saving of 50p per litre over diesel as i said it's running better but long term effects ?

cheers IG

Funny reading this, we had all our wagons and private cars dipped yesterday by customs. Routine spot check apparently. They checked most of the other companies vehicles in the industrial estate too.

Had a good chat with them, seems this year, teams all over the country are going to be busy.

Paying tax on a bottle of oil off the shelf is not the same as fuel duty .... Tax evasion

Good luck

Funny reading this, we had all our wagons and private cars dipped yesterday by customs. Routine spot check apparently. They checked most of the other companies vehicles in the industrial estate too.

Had a good chat with them, seems this year, teams all over the country are going to be busy.

Paying tax on a bottle of oil off the shelf is not the same as fuel duty .... Tax evasion

Good luck

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

There is a 2500l threshold after which you have to pay duty (on the whole lot - not just the bit above 2500l). I'm unsure how they can actually enforce that - but that is the law. It is also unclear if this pertains to biofuel made from used cooking oil, or also fresh oil.

Edited by aris

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

There is a 2500l threshold after which you have to pay duty (on the whole lot - not just the bit above 2500l). I'm unsure how they can actually enforce that - but that is the law. It is also unclear if this pertains to biofuel made from used cooking oil, or also fresh oil.

I understand that you should keep fuel receipts and a record of mileage, for either, to keep it legal

I used to add 9 litres of new rapeseed cooking oil to a 3/4 tank of diesel in my old Fabia vRS with no adverse effects, but that was when the cooking oil was less than £1/litre in my local supermarket.

Nowadays the price differential is not enough to warrant the faffing about.

The doom and gloomsters on here predicted all sorts of problems, but the car ran (and smelled) sweeter.

I got stopped and dipped last summer when I was running on100% new veg oil.no problems they did not even ask for any receipts or records.they did ask if I had had any problems with the engine.

What motor do you have? and has there been any problems? cheers

Edited by islandgun