ferret food? mice and rats????

ferretfan123

Mine live on 100% rabbit, cant understand why people insist on feeding them dried food, each to there own but why pay for food when you can get perfectly good food for free.

it doesn't turn rank in the nest in summer and put them down with e-coli and they do extremely well off it and you don't get near as many flies around

Mine live on 100% rabbit, cant understand why people insist on feeding them dried food, each to there own but why pay for food when you can get perfectly good food for free.

+1 I took on a 2 year old jill who was very sluggish, she had been fed on dry food...an £80 operation removed lots of stones built up from eating the dry food (so the vet said)

Put her on rabbit she lived until 8 had 3 lots of kits and worked like a mad thing.

Mine get mainly rabbit, some hare, also I pluck pigeons and freeze them as a back up also a change.

Lots of people use dry food for ferrets, however I don't

TEH

I have done both, over extended periods. I don't think either way is perfect. Fed whole carcass you really need to think in terms of daily (full) clear outs including the nest box and storage of raw carcass is difficult in summer.Bugs picked from rank meat found hidden away in summer are a real issue I have experienced . I never had any obvious health issues with dry personally (though fed totally on pellet from kits they tend to pass over the chance of fresh raw meat) and it should be born in mind that the wild polecat will supplement its diet with some vegetable and fruit matter so not meat diet should lack some veg matter even if its only in the stomach of carcass. Complete was actually originally formulated for the mink fur farmers obviously they had mind towards a good coat and a lack of illness / stock losses.

because there six month old and to young to work, and ferrets make get pets. Its a shame you only see them as a working tool rather then a pet first!!

A ferret is not an animal I would personally class as a pet, they are a working tool just the same as a gun.

yes fantastic pets, like i said they should be seen as pets first before workers in my opinion.

A pet for me is something like a cat or a dog, certainly not a ferret.

it doesn't turn rank in the nest in summer and put them down with e-coli and they do extremely well off it and you don't get near as many flies around

Mine only ever get fed rabbit with the odd pheasant, never had food turn rank or had any health problems with any of them.

+1 I took on a 2 year old jill who was very sluggish, she had been fed on dry food...an £80 operation removed lots of stones built up from eating the dry food (so the vet said)

Put her on rabbit she lived until 8 had 3 lots of kits and worked like a mad thing.

Mine get mainly rabbit, some hare, also I pluck pigeons and freeze them as a back up also a change.

Lots of people use dry food for ferrets, however I don't

TEH

Similar diet to mine :good:

always fed my polecats on rabbit or pigeon, never did them any harm,would never dream of giving them wild rats or mice,

also never thought of them as pets ever, they where used solely as working animals ,played with on a daily basis but treated as a tool for the job,(for pest control of rabbits)

atb Evo

• 2 weeks later...

Mine get both dried food and fresh rabbit meat every day. They have Chudleys biscuits ad-lib and fresh meat fed once a day when they're cleaned out.They seem to enjoy both and they certainly miss the biscuits when they run out. I occasionally give them a raw egg usually in spring as they would find them in the wild and now and again they get fish skins and trimmings which they love. They won't touch venison for some reason. I've tried them with red offal and bullet hole meat trimmings and they're not impressed, which is a pity because there's a lot of feeds in a deer liver. Whatever they get I try to judge so they've run out each morning. It seems to work. They're in excellent health.