Improving My Woods

In a couple of weeks i want to start some work on improving our woodland drives on my little shoot.

I am going to begin with some coppicing of the shaws and opening up flushing points.

If i do some selective clearing am i likely to see much bramble growth naturally this year?

If not then i am going to have to look and bringing in plants to provide extra cover in the shaws.

If this is the case what is the best (or should i say the cheapest) plant to bring in the add cover to woodland for the benefit of holding and flushing birds.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Harry

Is there any bramble at the moment?If so,it will romp away with more light.

On our shoot(that I beat on)larch were thinned and left on the ground. It's a right palaver tapping through it,but with the brambles as well, it is excellent holding.

Holly would be good,not a quick fix though.

When you're thinning the trees out try and clear the brash into lines leading into your flushing points and try and raise it off the ground a bit with some stakes or heavy branches. Doing this makes it easier for beaters to work the brash and any thing that grows through it and it makes a type of roadway for the birds to follow into the flushing points. I would be a bit wary planting anything in your new flushing points to start with as you don't know if they are exactly as you want them until you have used them. Pheasants may have flushed good from them last season but changing the woodland can change how your birds will hold and fly from them. If you can, or are able to, try and find somewhere such as the forestry commission that are felling and ask if you can take some of the brashings and set them in your new flushing points in small cone shapes where you had considered planting and see how it goes before spending too much on planting.

We have a wood part of which was clear felled 5 or 6 years back, in places the bramble is deeper than I am tall !

I'd be more worried about long term keeping it in check

Brambles are a nightmare. There are a couple of drives on our walked up syndicate that we can't do as the brambles are so thick. If you took a dog through it, the dog would be in bits by the other side. We have a job this off season to clear some of them.

In the main wood I want to improve there is some good bracken and bramble growth in the centre which is the flushing point.

This has come up over the last 3 years when a glade was cleared of tree's for horses to ride through the middle of the shaw.

Now that doesnt happen it has left me with a lovely open and thick flushing point.

However the rest of the wood is very very bare of undergrowth and mainly hazel, chestnut, silver birch and some larger Oaks.

I have been advised from a tree surgeon to do some selective thinning of some of the hazel and chestnut to let light onto the ground and dig up some of the bramble from the centre (or elsewhere on the shoot) and heel them in throughout the wood to spread.

I may do this and add some laurels here and there. I will also leave all the brash from what I do cut on the deck in rows leading to the flushing point as advised above.

I honestly don't know, but if Bracken is already in place in the wood then it should spread. I think the spores can be spread by wind from time to time, but when the wood is opened up and more light enters it then bracken should spread if it is already in place.

I have a man and tractor who flails back our hedges around our fields, it also cuts brambles like butter. Rent someone like him for a few hours and get them to cut some paths through, they would be about 4ft wide.

Yeh were thinking something similar, we have 3 shoot members who own there own mini diggers, most of the wood is standing so I doubt a tractor will get in there, only the very dense areas are bramble free

If brambles are cut to leave an initial path 4' wide the annual incremental growth of the brambles will cover the path in one season. Better to cut it 12' to start with which in many cases is only two passes with a jungle buster.

Referring to your post no. 8, hazel (Corylus avellana) can be cut down to 1' in height and in one season it can grow back 4' or 5'. Arrange to do separate areas each year thus promoting different levels of the understorey.

If you have lots of hazel I would be inclined to take some out but also try and 'lay' it roughly along the lines the beaters would be using. I wouldn't go crazy and try and get it neat like a good hedge but just lay some of it in lengths of a metre or so long from the edges of your flushing points back into the main wooded areas. As JDog has suggested you would be best off working it into promoting differing levels of cover each year as once you get it roughly where you need it it's just a matter of tidying it up each year.

Edited by r1steele

My advice would be to draw out a plan on paper first- work out roughly where and what you have got and what you want. Work out whether you want it as a roosting wood or a drive- work out which trees are good for roosting and where you need flushing/feeding points.

It takes years to get it all how you want it but definately plan with pheasants on the mind! I carry out months of woodland/habitat management on my place and things are beginning to take shape! Planted 15,000 trees/shrubs and all need maintance!

Ps- Brambles are the BEST cover- just maintain them! They are free, hardy, allow for small flushes and pheasants love them!

Cheers!

My advice would be to draw out a plan on paper first- work out roughly where and what you have got and what you want. Work out whether you want it as a roosting wood or a drive- work out which trees are good for roosting and where you need flushing/feeding points.

It takes years to get it all how you want it but definately plan with pheasants on the mind! I carry out months of woodland/habitat management on my place and things are beginning to take shape! Planted 15,000 trees/shrubs and all need maintance!

Ps- Brambles are the BEST cover- just maintain them! They are free, hardy, allow for small flushes and pheasants love them!

Cheers!

+1

Mibbee different further south but bracken doesn't tend to stand to well further north esp after first frost, even with the mild year we have had this year braken has been as flat as a pancake for a while now and offers little holding/flushing cover unless fell ontop of something (brash piles).

The quad cutters i have used i would imaging would struggle with big brambles, migt be better with some roundup to spray some tracks? Otherwise ur into chainsaws or clearing saws but a lot of hard work when doing it by hand

U sould be laughing in 5 or 6 years time for walking/beating sticks if u coppice all the hazel, like others have said in an ideal plan u would cut each area every 15 or so years (depending on product) for hazel reating a mixtuer of canopy.

Just a case of trial and error and learning wot suits ur woods best.

Just be careful when using a chain saw and do wear the correct ppe, they can be dangerous tools even when only cutting small trees.

The Bracken stands really well on my little farm. We have a bank covered in the stuff about 200 yards long x 30 yards wide and we make that into its own little drive.

Shot the bag record off it season just gone with 22 pheasants in the bag (must have been upwards of 60 in there on that day!)

Not really hard enough frosts down here this year to have killed it off but of course it does die back in the winter but still provides ample cover.

Maybe I will try moving small clumps into the barer shaws and see if it establishes.

Try to keep braes to smaller clumps as its hard on dogs and beaters. Nothing worse than bramble briars snaking through undergrowth for tripping you up, it gets a right grip of your ankle and its a struggle to get free sometimes.

Far better cover available.

Figgy