Eye Positioning

Guest danny74

Guest danny74

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could help, am a bit confused over the way you shoot clays and game birds, been told to shut 1 eye while shooting clays( still miss) , but have been told to keep both eyes open while rough shooting, but do I keep both eyes open while still having my right eye over the rib ? or do I centralise my eyes so my nose is central to the rib, sorry if its a crazy question but its my first year shooting

Danny

Firstly - don't chop and change, makes no difference what you are shooting at.

The proper way is to keep both eyes open and have your right eye (assuming right handed) looking down the rib.

I am right handed and left eye dominant so I shut my left eye - not the correct way but it works and a lot of people do the same. I sometimes even hit what I am shooting at.

I am right handed and left eye dominant so I shut my left eye - not the correct way but it works and a lot of people do the same. I sometimes even hit what I am shooting at.

I am too but shoot left handed as its better for me both eyes open master eye on the rib.

A coach will sort you out where abouts are you?

Guest danny74

Thanks for the replys everyone, Am in Runcorn

I am too but shoot left handed as its better for me both eyes open master eye on the rib.

A coach will sort you out where abouts are you?

do you know which is your dominant eye? With both eyes open point at something on the wall,then take it turns to close an eye.The eye which keeps your finger on the object is your dominant eye.If this is your right eye and you are a right handed shooter then all good,if not and say it is your left eye which is dominant you have 2 real choices a) shoot off left shoulder or b)close left eye and shoot off right shoulder.If this makes no sense go see someone at shooting ground..Both eyes open is ideal as better for judging speed & distance but lots of folk shoot with 1 eye dimmed or shut..so no major issue..but you need to know if where you are looking and pointing is 'true'.Atb

Firstly - don't chop and change, makes no difference what you are shooting at.

The proper way is to keep both eyes open and have your right eye (assuming right handed) looking down the rib.

I agree to some extent but I don't think there is a correct or incorrect way !

Use what ever works for you , the only thing I would say is that I shot with one eye closed for aprox 20 years but found that when wild fowling I was struggling a bit in the half light or even dark nights so I now use both eyes for all shotgun shooting.

• 8 months later...

Met someone last week who is right handed but their dominant (Master) eye is their left. They shoot off their left shoulder closing right eye. He has two English side by sides that apparently have straight stocks, i.e no offset. (A Martin and Lancaster IIRC)

It must be very unusal to have an opposite master eye to how your handed. I was wondering if he might actually be left handed but 'encouraged' to do things right handed as a child?

Met someone last week who is right handed but their dominant (Master) eye is their left. They shoot off their left shoulder closing right eye. He has two English side by sides that apparently have straight stocks, i.e no offset. (A Martin and Lancaster IIRC)

It must be very unusal to have an opposite master eye to how your handed. I was wondering if he might actually be left handed but 'encouraged' to do things right handed as a child?

Not unusual IMO (I am righthanded left master eye always have been.....) If he is left master eye there would be no reason to close right eye............when shooting off the left shoulder! Some people (especially women) don't have a dominant/master eye.

http://www.countryclubuk.com/features/gunroom_ladyguns.htm

This ‘master eye’ concept is best understood if one takes a simple test. Point at an object with both eyes open. If the image moves when you close your right eye, but stays still when you close the left eye, then you have a right ‘master eye’. If, on the other hand, the image does not move when you close the right eye, but moves when you close the left eye, you have a left ‘master eye’. Most right-handed male shooters have a right ‘master eye’ which allows them to shoot with both eyes open. This gives them a wider field of vision and a greater facility to judge range than they would have with just one eye open. Likewise, most left-handed male shooters have a left ‘master eye’, which gives the same facilities as above.
Edited by HDAV

Not unusual at all especially with women, but also teenager and men over 55 (eye start to change then).