Eye Positioning

Guest danny74

Just done the eye dominance test and it turns out I'm left eye dominant but right handed, do I try being a lefty or just carry on as I am,I've always shot with left eye closed.

Jim

up to you but there is a process to change shoulders I have done it.

Do not just go out pick a gun lefthanded and shoot with it!

These DIY eye dominance test are a great guide but when you mount a gun things can change as the brain comes into play aligning the eyes to the barrels, but left eye will very rarely (I never say never) magically become right eye dominance as the gun is mounted.

I for one suffer with indeterminable eye dominance now and it changes through the full spectrum sometimes minute by minute, learning to control or deal with eye dominance is a task that must be mastered to shoot well.

These DIY eye dominance test are a great guide but when you mount a gun things can change as the brain comes into play aligning the eyes to the barrels, but left eye will very rarely (I never say never) magically become right eye dominance as the gun is mounted.

I for one suffer with indeterminable eye dominance now and it changes through the full spectrum sometimes minute by minute, learning to control or deal with eye dominance is a task that must be mastered to shoot well.

Agreed. I am right handed and my left eye is the stronger eye. I learned 40 years ago to blink the left eye closed as I mount the gun - and it works OK for me. Over the years I have found that the right eye 'anticipates' this and tends to take over automatically, so the process is seamless. I don't really see the gun or rib, just concentrate on the target. However, if I consciously leave the left eye open, the right eye stays in the 'secondary' role, the left eye sees the gun barrels, the target is hard to see/lost and EVERYTHING (except the target) goes to pieces!

Hi all

Further to my previous post regarding my wonking eye dominance, I've always been a left eye closed shooter and had what I thought to be a ok ratio regarding shots to hits ie I've never considered myself a hit more than I miss kind of guy.

Anyway after the eye dominance hullabaloo I thought I'd try switching to lefty and though it didn't feel uncomfortable at all it just didn't work,so I tried the both eyes open option and though I had to really concentrate on actually keeping them both open the results were really quite amazing. I shot 42 woodies for 50 carts. Now I know that it may have been a fluke etc and I'm not going to get over excited but the more I shot the more natural it felt for me. I'll wait to the next outing to see whether I should proclaim myself as one sharp shooting **** or just and old **** trying to kid himself.

Jim

Hi all

Further to my previous post regarding my wonking eye dominance, I've always been a left eye closed shooter and had what I thought to be a ok ratio regarding shots to hits ie I've never considered myself a hit more than I miss kind of guy.

Anyway after the eye dominance hullabaloo I thought I'd try switching to lefty and though it didn't feel uncomfortable at all it just didn't work,so I tried the both eyes open option and though I had to really concentrate on actually keeping them both open the results were really quite amazing. I shot 42 woodies for 50 carts. Now I know that it may have been a fluke etc and I'm not going to get over excited but the more I shot the more natural it felt for me. I'll wait to the next outing to see whether I should proclaim myself as one sharp shooting **** or just and old **** trying to kid himself.

Jim

Both eyes open off the left or right shoulder?

Off the right shoulder,I tried left shoulder right eye closed but though it felt ok it just didn't work for me. I didn't try left shoulder both eyes open as the right shoulder both eyes proved to be quite successful.

Jim

BOth eyes open gives you binocular vision if you are left eye dominant then off the left shoulder will work better, but going out into the feild picking the gun up wrong handed and shooting is totally the wrong way to do it....... If you want to know the right way to do it let me know.

BOth eyes open gives you binocular vision if you are left eye dominant then off the left shoulder will work better, but going out into the feild picking the gun up wrong handed and shooting is totally the wrong way to do it....... If you want to know the right way to do it let me know.

I'm slightly confused here,I'm left eye dominant and a right shoulder shooter I tried the both eyes open still mounting on my right shoulder and found that to be a success (on the one occasion I tried it)

Am I doing it wrong or have I totally missed the a point

without seeing you shoot Jim i think you either have switchable dominance or aren't left eye dominant if i mount a gun right handed both eyes open i am looking down the side of the barrels.... So I'm confused, but it seems to work so keep at it!

I'll stick at the both eyes open thing and see if it was a one off good day or something more than that either way thanks for your input and I'll give you an update in the near future

Jim