Computer Nerds - Help please

Grandalf

Hi Guys,

PC seems to be working ok in every other way but every couple of minutes there is a nasty scratchy/buzzy noise coming from speakers. Like a death-watch beetle makes.

Particularly when changing pages etc. Been with me for about a week.

Using BT Broadband on a new last year HP computer. Windows 8 with Classic Shell.

McAfee NetProtect says all is well but reckon I have picked up a bug from somewhere.

Driving me up the wall which is maybe the intent.

Suggestions?

Try turning the volume right down, if it's still there the speakers may well be knackered!

Tried this but its not that kind of noise. It is an irregular interval six beat scratchy type noise. Always makes exactly the same sound

Move mobile phones etc away from speakers and leads.

Nothing new anywhere near the PC and I have put my mobile phone out in the kitchen.

The machines are taking over - skynet!

In seriousness - The noise is possibly due to extra power getting to the circuit, i.e a ground loop?

See comment one above. This is irregular interference which sound like it is intentional.

It seems to me that this has been induced by some bug picked up from the internet.

is it coming through the speakers when listerning to anything or in media player ?

I had this exact problem when playing anything, their is a fault in your media player, I had to get the guy from tech to sort it,but the problem is as follows,

you will need to save your files and everything to an external hard drive, once this is done you will then have to clear your computer totally and reinstall your windows 8 ,

before you do this try removing media player and re installing it , if that doesn,t work then sorry you will have to clear your pc then reinstall windows then put what you have saved to the external hard drive back on,

I had the exact same problem and it cracked me up and the tech guys for ages

hope this helps

atb Evo

is it coming through the speakers when listerning to anything or in media player ?

I had this exact problem when playing anything, their is a fault in your media player, I had to get the guy from tech to sort it,but the problem is as follows,

you will need to save your files and everything to an external hard drive, once this is done you will then have to clear your computer totally and reinstall your windows 8 ,

before you do this try removing media player and re installing it , if that doesn,t work then sorry you will have to clear your pc then reinstall windows then put what you have saved to the external hard drive back on,

I had the exact same problem and it cracked me up and the tech guys for ages

hope this helps

atb Evo

This sounds more like it. Its all the time - Like now as I type on PW.

Nothing else on the confuser, sorry computer.

Don't use media player, try Winamp for mp3/audio files and VLC Media player for video/dvd etc. both free :)

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html

http://www.filehippo.com/download_winamp/

Thanks for that but I don't really want to change anything on my confuser, I just want to get rid of this damn noise.

hmmm odd daft question, if you disconnect the speakers from the computer sound card does the noise stop? could just be a dodgy jack plug or speaker.

I'll be honest I have never heard of a virus that just makes annoying noises......... A new soundcard/updated driver might the answer.