New to pigeon shooting

Shootingtim

Hi all,

I've been shooting clays for years and spent some time on a friends farm (a long drive away) shooting pheasants, but out of season I'd like to shoot some pigeons.

How do I go about starting? Is it just a case of knocking on local farmers' doors and asking if they would mind?! Or is there a more discreet way of going about it?

Thanks!

Tim

• update your profile
  • where are from
  • what is your area
  • what are your likes
  • what are your dislikes
  • what gauge gun to you own

If you do this you might (after a while) find out that there may be another PW member who is close to you and might show you the ropes ...........

Hi all,

I've been shooting clays for years and spent some time on a friends farm (a long drive away) shooting pheasants, but out of season I'd like to shoot some pigeons.

How do I go about starting? Is it just a case of knocking on local farmers' doors and asking if they would mind?! Or is there a more discreet way of going about it?

Thanks!

Tim

hi mate, yeah just get out there and knock on some doors, Especially if you see pigeons hitting fields in the area with no one shooting them you may have some luck. Also make sure you know what your talking about ie which crop the pigeons are hitting and so on, also you could offer to sort out the rabbits as this can get your foot in the door if their not having problems with pigeons at the time you ask. Good luck mate just keep trying and asking around.

I would hope that the use of the word "discreet" was his way of asking if there was another way to go about gaining permission to shoot rather than anything illegal.

Some good points raised above, get out and offer your help to your local gamekeepers. Offer to beat in the new season, that's the best way to meet people and if you "prove" yourself it may well lead to the offer of some shooting at a later date.

Good luck.

If by discreet you mean without permission then absolutely not, don't even consider the idea unless you want to lose your sgc and possibly your freedom! Go and knock doors and expect 99% to say no!

I would hope that the use of the word "discreet" was his way of asking if there was another way to go about gaining permission to shoot rather than anything illegal.

Some good points raised above, get out and offer your help to your local gamekeepers. Offer to beat in the new season, that's the best way to meet people and if you "prove" yourself it may well lead to the offer of some shooting at a later date.

Good luck.

OF COURSE I don't mean doing anything stupid or illegal! I was simply wondering about other ways of asking permission!

Some good ideas - thanks guys! I'll start with updating my profile, then knock on a few doors (with no expectations of a positive outcome!), and then look into beating next season...

Any other ideas, please let me know!

Thanks

Have a look at your local wildfowling clubs. The season's all but over now, but a lot of clubs have access to land for pigeon shooting too.

You never know, you might even enjoy getting out on the foreshore for a chance at the odd duck/goose as well as hitting the pigeons?

Look at the South Hants Wildfowlers, I am joining them this year. They shoot over the Keyhaven salt marsh east of lymington and also have some rough shooting in the New Forest.

http://shwa.co.uk/

I contacted them via their website and went to their monthly meeting this week, seem a friendly bunch. New membership starts in April.

Tom