Missing so many birds??

yidoharry

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you had a good day, Harry. I would still advise having several rounds of skeet to fine tune those shotgun skills. Then instead of thinking about lead it will become a natural thing to lift the gun up and fire in the correct place.

Hi Motty......already looking at suitable venues....just need to get thatsorted and I will get down there to hone my new found skills :good:

Well done! I don't think you'll look back now. If things are a bit slow, and pouring a cup of coffee doesn't work, go for a ***, guaranteed to bring the pigeon in!

All the Best

You couldn't be more right!! The amount of times it happens is unbelievable.....its not just shooting either! When I was barbell fishing last autumn I sat in the rain and cold for over 6 hours waiting for that "big" bite without even a knock.....the minute I got up to go for a leak the rod was nearly pulled in!! :lol:

Did you land it though, and how big?

You couldn't be more right!! The amount of times it happens is unbelievable.....its not just shooting either! When I was barbell fishing last autumn I sat in the rain and cold for over 6 hours waiting for that "big" bite without even a knock.....the minute I got up to go for a leak the rod was nearly pulled in!! :lol:

Did you land it though, and how big?

too right I did....after an almighty battle playing it out of an overhanging tree and a couple of snags I eventually bagged it at the second attempt..... came in at 10lb 2oz......not my biggest but definetley my most rewarding!! Amazingly I caught it again from a swim 200 yards away 2 weeks later weighing 1oz more!!......all this talking about big barbell is making me drool!! :yahoo:

just a quick note to yidoharry

thought we was not allowed to use the "Y" word anymore harry lol

cant believe I wont use at the lane in a couple of weeks

UP THE AR*E

Yes I know it will be weird to be honest! I'm now waiting for someone to tell me im barred from carious sites because of my username!!! :/

Free advise is always great but not always what you need...but ....... "if you aint getting the lead in the right place , you aint gonna knock em out the sky "

Deffo have a few lessons it will stand you in good stead for the basics and an instructor will iron out any big problems you have. Your gun is fine ..perhaps 1/4 choke would be a little easier on you but i have a beretta 686 with 1/4 and 1/2 and i get a few !!!!

depending on where you go have 2 hours with a instructor this will be £100 ish and will improve your kill rate.

Cartridge wise 30g or 32g 6.5 0r 6 shot is fine and set your decoys up within a range you are comfortable and i was told to watch a few come to the pattern before you start having a go at them...when your ready take the shots ,, be confident and we all miss mate ...the more honest of us...... miss a lot !

Just remember everyone you miss is one more you can get !

Yidoharry - If are looking to take a couple of lessons I think Michael Alldis' Essex Shooting School just outside Epping is the closest.

http://www.shooting-school.org/clay-pigeon-shooting/contact/index.htm

Cheers for that.....will be taking a look at him very soon....hopefully he can put right any big problems/mistakes I have

• 2 weeks later...

Free advise is always great but not always what you need...but ....... "if you aint getting the lead in the right place , you aint gonna knock em out the sky "

Deffo have a few lessons it will stand you in good stead for the basics and an instructor will iron out any big problems you have. Your gun is fine ..perhaps 1/4 choke would be a little easier on you but i have a beretta 686 with 1/4 and 1/2 and i get a few !!!!

depending on where you go have 2 hours with a instructor this will be £100 ish and will improve your kill rate.

Cartridge wise 30g or 32g 6.5 0r 6 shot is fine and set your decoys up within a range you are comfortable and i was told to watch a few come to the pattern before you start having a go at them...when your ready take the shots ,, be confident and we all miss mate ...the more honest of us...... miss a lot !

Just remember everyone you miss is one more you can get !

there must be thousands near me then I miss all the time

sound advice