Decoying over Grass

Maddaftspaniel

The weather has been so mild this year that we have a lot of pigeons feeding on clover in the pastures.

There are some big flocks but when I push them off they just ****** off and don't come back. There is lots of grass to choose from.

I have never tried decoying on grass. Is it worth a try? Any tips specific to grass?

The birds probably have a wide choice if feeding grounds so perhaps the best answer is to set up early before the birds arrive in the morning and are still in smaller flocks and want their first feed of the day. Smaller flocks usually decoy better your shooting may prevent huge super flocks forming. One of the biggest problems I have had shooting over clover is if the field is next to the roost wood. Your shooting scares the pigeons off before they are ready to flight. So if possible pick a field they are using well away from any large wood. Clover is always worth a try, I have shot some good bags over it.

Edited by anser2

I think this only worth a go under a strong flight line and certianly not a big bag day.... from previous experience

I agree, unlikely to produce huge bags but I've done it often enough and it does tend to lead to well decoying birds if they're used to feeding on the clover.

• 5 months later...