How far in front do people usually pay for driven shoots.

Three shoots I know of in Norfolk do this - maybe hundreds more. One letter through the door last week with a respond by return and half the money required up front. Its a good shoot and the manager is well known and so demand will be high. I have never been let down on a shoot yet but there is always a first time and you do hear scare stories about people scarpering with your wad of cash.

Problem is , if its a good shoot and you delay you may be out in the cold if they sell all the guns.

I hold an annual meeting of my syndicate guns in March.

Acts for last year are gone through and personal accounts are agreed. Decisions are made for the new season and a 50% deposit ( or more) is paid together with any monies outstanding from the earlier season. Balance of account is due before birds arrive, any extras incurred settled at the end of the season.

Remember your shoot captain is NOT a bank, he will need to pay a 50% deposit when he orders your birds and the balance on delivery, so for 2000 birds there is £6.5k. Then you have food for the poults to buy in., another 1k, and following that 10-20 tons of wheat at £150 a ton or so. Keepers costs, shoot maintenance costs also have to be met. Once you start shooting you have costs for the day to be met such as lunches.

So we take half (or more) in March, and the other half in July with any odd balance paid the following March.

Paying half now is about right IMHO.

A

Edited by Alycidon

50% booking deposit, remaining 50% paid before day takes place is pretty common practice for commercial days.

Syndicates normally seek a minimum of 50% upfront to ensure a serious commitment from the Guns. Most well run shoots will already be ordering poults to ensure they have the birds when they want them. Game farms run on similar terms, 50% up front.

Most established shoots will have been burnt by promises of payment which never materialised. This can either cripple the shoot or place further burden on the members who do pay up.

So the general view is it seems ok to ask for half I think there should be some insurance in place what if keeper turned ill or something after paying half it's a long way till the beginning of season that's all paying isn't a problem it's just a risk to pay any business so much money upfront especially a small one man band might have to send him for a Bupa health check before handing over the money! He is getting on a bit! Suppose I will just pay my money and take my chances!