best loads for pigeons..30g or 32g ?

storsey

Good morning Guys ...

having booked a pigeon decoy shooting day next month , I really cant decide which cartridges to take with me ....ive been advised to take 30g no.6's which I will but which ones ?

Ive also been told to take a few 32 gram 6's which has now made the problem 2 fold as now I have to choose 2 loads.....?????

I was going to just go an buy black gold with fibre wads as they seem to be a reliable shell ...in terms of money I was going to spend around £65 for 250 but I don't mind spending a bit more if they are worth it ....

So I suppose im asking your recommendations and your views on black gold.

any advise will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

(I will be taking my 12bore 686 s berretta with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory the difference between 30 and 32 grams of No 6 at 40 yards with 1/2 choke is 1/2 a pellet increase per pigeon in the killing area of the pattern. In other words, there is no difference; it's either one or the other. If you've not done much pigeon work before and as you say, you're decoying then filling the pattern with more pellets considering the chokes that you've mentioned would make more sense. Would suggest something in No 61/2 (2.5mm).

I agree with Simjakcal, go for the gamebore clear pigeon, I use these on most birds, pheasant too (unless expecting rather high birds) to great effect.

With a cartridge, you want enough power to take it down, the rest is up to you, if you get the shot placement right, then it will go down, if not, no cartridge will help you! lol

I use Gamebore Clear Pigeons 30 or 32g 6's......i would save your money spending on Blackgolds unless ur minted !

Clear Pigeon 32g 6's for me. A good all round trade off between reliability, stopping power, and cost..... Why spend a lot of money on expensive carts when you are only going to shoot fresh air with half of them anyway??

i would say gamebore or eley for the win mate, it might be worth looking at something no one has mentioned yet and try a box or two or kent HV pigeon i have really good results with them what ever i put them through they are 29g 6s and they do the job well with not being too heavy on the shoulder they are pretty quick too!

I must have said this dozens of times. Don't get caught up in the 'best' cartridge thing. Nowadays with modern manufacturing processes and modern powders, they're all pretty good. 5's 6's 7's, 28gm 29gm 30gm 32gm makes no difference. If you point the gun in the right place they will bring down pigeons.

Edited by caeser

I must have said this dozens of times. Don't get caught up in the 'best' cartridge thing. Nowadays with modern manufacturing processes and modern powders, they're all pretty good. 5's 6's 7's, 28gm 29gm 30gm 32gm makes no difference. If you point the gun in the right place they will bring down pigeons.

agree

as my dad has always said to me about a gun and cartridges if you point it in the right direction you will kill the bird!

I shoot 7 1/2 28g for pigeon and have for as long as I remember and for a added bonus there only £40 for £250

agree

as my dad has always said to me about a gun and cartridges if you point it in the right direction you will kill the bird!

I shoot 7 1/2 28g for pigeon and have for as long as I remember and for a added bonus there only £40 for £250

That is what I use and manage to get my share with out spending a fortune on rounds......

TEH