Shore Fishing Cornwall

fat_jay

Will be heading to south cornwall mid june, wondering what the shore/rock fishing would be like? And how best go about it?

Been a freshwater angler all my life, but fishing in the sea is a bit of a dark art for me.

Have a plugging/spinning setup for pike, would that be worth a try around the rocks?

Feathers in the surf?

Any tips greatfully received

Jay

Enjoy. The fishing is great down there. We had a week based in Megavissey last September. I used to nip down at first light and fish in the harbour. There is small tackle shop which sells rag and you can buy fresh fish for bait if need be. On float tackle I had wrasse, pollack, mackeral and garfish. On spinning gear schoolie bass and mackerel. Ledgered ragworm produced some nice flatties. Best thing is there are some nice pubs close by for a pint afterwards.

If you fancy a boat trip there are several options available in the harbour at reasonable prices.

Edited by Whitebridges

if its bass u want give me a pm couple days before you come down don't buy any end tackle I will sort u a couple of rigs and tell you what u need and where to go ou don't need anything fancy jyst a rod capable of flinging a 5oz grip lead as ther will be tide[ bass like tide ] waders if you have them and reel of your choice fixed spool or multiplier no shock leader as you wont need to cast very far and don't take any notice of the waffle in fishing mags ther only designed to catch one thing ..........ANGLERS

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live in St.Ives and I fished for bass all around the coast. Best times for bass fishing is after dark or dawn/dusk fishing in the surf. Best bait after dark is peeler crab or softies. Although any good fresh bait will suffice. I only use a 4oz lead and a bass rod. Hold the rod all the time so that I don't miss a single nibble, although having said that, bass are usually hard hitting. Not the golden rule, but most of the time.

If you want to fish for them during the day, live sandeel in the surf is the killer. I realise it's difficult to get hold of though.

If you fish from the rocks during the day, find a deep place and float fish as deep as you can, for pollack and wrasse. Worm baits will be okay.

Spinning is okay from rocks, expect pollack again, maybe even a bass, but deep is more productive.

I have been bass fishing successfully for 40 years, this is what I have found through trial and error, to be the most successful for me.