lamp shy rabbits - advice needed

nderfel

hi all,

up at a one of my (two) permissions yesterday trying to have a pop at the rabbits but every time you get a lamp on then they are off like greased lightening, doesn't matter if they are 150 or 10 yards away....

No-one has shot this place for years and I'm not sure why they are so skittish, any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

When the rabbits on the farm around our house get lamp shy I leave shooting them for a while and when I walk the dog at night I take the lamp and shine all around making sure to light up any rabbits I see, after a couple of weeks doing this I find the rabbits seem to get used to it and sit better. This might work if your permission is handy with home.

thanks guys,

worth mentioning we have never lamped it before and to the best of my knowledge no-one else has for at least 5 years, I was using white light so maybe a filter is the way forward. NV would be ideal but its not something I can afford to set up currently.

good idea aister but the perm is a 2 hour drive away :(

Wot are u shooting them with?

I would only have a lamp bright enough for just eyond the range ur shooting them at, some of the new (esp led) torches ar a very focused beam so can't get them in the edges the same as u could with, varying filters and not going out or missing to often will help.

Also try a full moon, prob won't need a lamp, if u've got a decent scoe even better if an illumanated reticle.

Does sound like someone else is also lamping ur ground thou, possibly exercising there dogs

Oh, its getting lamped alright. I have known landowners economical with the truth but chances are its being poached and lurchers make ground lamp shy very much faster than the gun, especially if the dogs or the handler aint very good. Reason is each one that evades the dog learns the lamp means trouble. shooting they are either hit or missed even the later don't scare them much and the former well those never got the chance to learn.

Best to pick the darkest, windiest night and use a lower powered beam always kept within shooting range. Shoot quickly and under no circumstance let the beam shine across the ground (only within range)

Definitely leave it longer before going out, might catch a poacher or 2 also!!!!

Nice small, dull lamp just enough to light the eye and with a range just for what you need as said! If it's a scope mounted lamp, I set it slightly high also as to not get the beam smack on them! If you shooting sub 12ft then be as quiet and slow as you can!!

I've quite recently got an xsearcher from the states. So handy being able to switch the led modules round. I try and use a different colour whenever I go anywhere that's been lamped regularly before. Some places seem to do better with red, others with green and some they ve no problem with the white, I guess it all depends what they ve seen before

Edit to say definitely beats lugging a big battery round for hours on end

Edited by nathan83

Ive just purchased the yellow led for my xsearcher, not queit the yellow i was expecting, its more white, just not as harsh as the white led. Will try it over the weekend see how it goes.

The NS200 is still a very usefull peace of kit though

I've never seen the yellow, heard some people say it's like an old torch with the batteries going but most people seem to really rate them for exactly what you say, pretty white but without the harshness. Have you tried the green? I struggle with that a bit but definitely effective on a lot of my permissions

I've quite recently got an xsearcher from the states. So handy being able to switch the led modules round. I try and use a different colour whenever I go anywhere that's been lamped regularly before. Some places seem to do better with red, others with green and some they ve no problem with the white, I guess it all depends what they ve seen before

Edit to say definitely beats lugging a big battery round for hours on end

Assuming that the red and green LEDs also came from the States, could I just ask if these have the 3 power settings as does the white?

Many thanks.

I fail to understand any reason to use colour other than its dimming effect. I know many who feel differently but show me some proof that rabbits see different colour beams and then learn to fear a bright green beam say but are ok with red. Perhaps it works because the user believes it does? I tried them years ago before you could even buy them and it only made a difference in total light output