lamp shy rabbits - advice needed

nderfel

The Xsearcher and its stable mate the 800 are powerful torches ideal for long range shooting - way beyond that required for rabbit. Additionally, they have the advantage of not having the need for external wiring and heavy batteries. Furthermore, they are compact, light and easy to use. In short, if it wasn't for the fact that they are far too bright for short range, they'd be ideal for rabbit as well.

Not tried this in the field yet, but for the Xsearcher providing the beam is kept towards the spot end - moving too far towards flood causes leakage of the original light - and I would imagine that there's no such problem with the smaller 800 lens - the relatively cheap filters for the Tracer Tri-Star Pro clip on nicely.

Just a thought.

Assuming that the red and green LEDs also came from the States, could I just ask if these have the 3 power settings as does the white?

Many thanks.

Hi, yes they do, I'm new on here so not sure if I'm allowed topmost links but I got them from a place called flashlight hut, I think they worked apout about £30 with the neck section and postage but that was a couple of months ago

I tend to just use them on the dimmest 2 settings, but it means I only need the one torch (well 2 because I've got the nm800 for spotting) so if I need longer ranges for fox then I haven't got to bother having another lamp, I find the xsearcher on dim is perfect for mounting on the scope for rabbits because it fills the sight picture and isn't too bright,

I've had the nm800 for quite a while, because my cousin lives in the us I can get things sent to her, I got it on eBay and it cost less than £60 and that included her sending it on to me so it seems pointless getting something with less power that's costs pretty much the same when I can use the dimming features and get the required affect

Day shooting isn't really an option for some of the places I go because I do 3 golf courses so has to be done at night

Nathan

I tend to just use them on the dimmest 2 settings, but it means I only need the one torch (well 2 because I've got the nm800 for spotting) so if I need longer ranges for fox then I haven't got to bother having another lamp, I find the xsearcher on dim is perfect for mounting on the scope for rabbits because it fills the sight picture and isn't too bright,

I've had the nm800 for quite a while, because my cousin lives in the us I can get things sent to her, I got it on eBay and it cost less than £60 and that included her sending it on to me so it seems pointless getting something with less power that's costs pretty much the same when I can use the dimming features and get the required affect

Day shooting isn't really an option for some of the places I go because I do 3 golf courses so has to be done at night

Nathan

Many thanks, Nathan. Your point is exactly the one I was trying to make at Post #26. As far as I'm aware - still waiting to hear back from Nightmaster UK - those available in the UK - other than the white - are single mode only.

I fail to understand any reason to use colour other than its dimming effect. I know many who feel differently but show me some proof that rabbits see different colour beams and then learn to fear a bright green beam say but are ok with red. Perhaps it works because the user believes it does? I tried them years ago before you could even buy them and it only made a difference in total light output

I really think it seems to make a difference, especially with rabbits- and if you ve found it doesn't make a difference to your results that's quite interesting, I guess everyone has different opinions and findings, i doubt any of us are either right or wrong, its just what we see and interpret. I ve got the different colours so might as well use them -if only to keep myself happy lol-

I am tempted to go for the MN800 in red i must admit, i can then use it on rimfire and centre fire.

that said i found this on fleabay which looks like it might be useful, anyone got an opinion?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-Cree-Red-Zoom-Led-Hunting-Lamp-shooting-airgun-Cree-Led-Upgrade-1Mode-/201019168084?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2ecdad1554#ht_832wt_752

I've never seen the yellow, heard some people say it's like an old torch with the batteries going but most people seem to really rate them for exactly what you say, pretty white but without the harshness. Have you tried the green? I struggle with that a bit but definitely effective on a lot of my permissions

Yes its more like a old tourch with the batteries running down.

No not tried the green yet, see how this one goes

Atb

Si

The Xsearcher and its stable mate the 800 are powerful torches ideal for long range shooting - way beyond that required for rabbit. Additionally, they have the advantage of not having the need for external wiring and heavy batteries. Furthermore, they are compact, light and easy to use. In short, if it wasn't for the fact that they are far too bright for short range, they'd be ideal for rabbit as well.

Not tried this in the field yet, but for the Xsearcher providing the beam is kept towards the spot end - moving too far towards flood causes leakage of the original light - and I would imagine that there's no such problem with the smaller 800 lens - the relatively cheap filters for the Tracer Tri-Star Pro clip on nicely.

Just a thought.

Just had a play on the farm with the rabbits. Accepting for the reason above it's not too clever with the XSearcher and also there may well be a need for some minor fettling should recoil be a problem, if I had a 800 with just the one white LED for long range work but needed something else for rabbit between,say, 30 and 100 yards, then I'd invest the princely sum of some £7 in the above filter and spend what I would have paid for another lamp/battery, etc, etc on next year's pigeon cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i picked up a red led torch from this site as i was previously using a white light and had the same problem, within 20 mins with the red led i had 3 rabbits. i had a filter fitted at first but it took too much light away from the torch so i spent £30 and got a zoomable red led torch. Picture of the beam attached (a lot brighter than a filter and the beam goes over 100m plenty for my rapid 7

heres the link if you need it http://thetorchshop.co/shooting-torches.html

hope this helps you out :)

post-69496-0-91981300-1394400520_thumb.jpg

I am tempted to go for the MN800 in red i must admit, i can then use it on rimfire and centre fire.

that said i found this on fleabay which looks like it might be useful, anyone got an opinion?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-Cree-Red-Zoom-Led-Hunting-Lamp-shooting-airgun-Cree-Led-Upgrade-1Mode-/201019168084?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2ecdad1554#ht_832wt_752

hi

thats the same as i used plenty of power for an air rifle and even a rimfire with a 200m + beam for the money you can't go wrong,it was a lot brighter than using my filter on a t6 led, but it was a bit cheaper on the website

http://thetorchshop.co/shooting-torches.html

Edited by TORCH ADDICT

thanks Torch Addict, much appreciated, do you have a remote switch on your set up too, if so did you get it from the same place?

yes i fitted one to the screw cap of the torch, just removed the inner and re soldered it instead of the clicky tail cap. but i just upgraded to another one yesterday, the UF-T20 svery similar to the dereelight nm800 but a third of the price i paid extra for the pressure switch multi mode (latching and press on release off) and i just ordered a replacement red and ir screw in led insert.my mate bought one last week and for £37 its got an amazing beam. i will let you know how it is with the red beam supposed to be a 200m+ beam!

• 2 weeks later...