Job opportunity?

Looking to take on one or two rearing field assistants from mid May to end of August. Terrible wages, damned hard work, long hours etc. On the plus side you'll learn a lot about rearing, a bit about 'keepering, and probably much about yourself and your capabilities.

Portacabin accomodation on site. Hertfordshire based

May consider longer term apprenticeship for prospective keeper - summer on the rearing field (30,000+) then move on to assist on the shoot (24 x 150/200 bird days) but you'll need to be pretty convincing that you can stick with it.

PM me if you are interested.

Anyone interested in this and then stick at it will make it in the long run with vast amounts of knowledge for the future, and what better things to say to a potential new employer...

"I have worked on a game farm rearing 30,000 plus birds", anything after that would be a walk in the park.

Good luck to whoever

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to take on one or two rearing field assistants from mid May to end of August. Terrible wages, damned hard work, long hours etc. On the plus side you'll learn a lot about rearing, a bit about 'keepering, and probably much about yourself and your capabilities.

Portacabin accomodation on site. Hertfordshire based

May consider longer term apprenticeship for prospective keeper - summer on the rearing field (30,000+) then move on to assist on the shoot (24 x 150/200 bird days) but you'll need to be pretty convincing that you can stick with it.

PM me if you are interested.

Well, not sure wether to be suprised or just saddened....... Not a single response. Maybe not quite so many people want to get into this line of work as claim they do!

I think the way you worded the job description may not have helped.

Yes you are being honest about the long hours , hard graft and low pay but you are only maybe offering something at the end of it , if you had said there "would be" something at the end of it for someone who displayed the right attributes then the response may have been better.

You mention low wages for apprentices but a apprenticeship does not just last 3 months does it.

Fair comment, Fenboy, maybe I was unclear in laying it out! What is on offer for the right person is a full time job with block release to complete an apprenticeship - normally around 2 years - at a suitable college. However, I need to know that the person who gets this chance is not going to waste my time and drop out after a few months. Too many youngsters think that 'keepering is something its not, and dream about lamping foxes, running shoot days, collecting tips.... conveniently forgetting about mucking out endless brooder huts, washing countless drinkers, pressing on with a feed round in the pouring rain for the fifth day in a row......

Pay will never be enough for the hours worked by a good keeper, but it is dismal for those starting out. I pay the legal basic wage commensurate with age for starters, and increases have to be earned. Mobile home accomodation is free.

I started the same way, working two summers living in a caravan with no electrcity, no running water, no heating, my head game farmer gave me one hot meal a day and a bath on sunday nights !

probably the hardest work in the known world ! we clocked up over 100 hours a week when crating birds all for £160 a week !

I used to motto "that that don't kill me can only make me stronger" and after 3 years and 4 different head game farmers had quit the job I rose through default to the title of headgame farmer !

rearing 150 thousand birds a year with 4 seasonal staff, but now I was full time, keepering the farm owners shoot during the winter, ten years later Iam still keepering.

to anyone that truly wants to be "A keeper " this is the way in.

the years that I game farmed for were the best days of my life!!! I met people from all over the world / country I was invited to shoot all over England/ Africa / Poland/ Germany great days!

this is a great opportunity for a grafter !

If you are offering Apprentice wages are you putting them through college for an indentured apprentiship? or just using this as a loophole to get cheap labour? I don't want to be rude but need to find out before I ask some one to apply 2 years doesn't seem correct for a full aprentiship

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

If you are offering Apprentice wages are you putting them through college for an indentured apprentiship? or just using this as a loophole to get cheap labour? I don't want to be rude but need to find out before I ask some one to apply 2 years doesn't seem correct for a full aprentiship

Deershooter

Check it out with Sparsholt. Thats what I did.

If you were not so far from me i would have applied, but it would just not be economically possible long term to do so. Collecting up broody bantams and chickens at the moment, and detailing the pens for my own attempts. If anyone has any advice PM me, i'm always willing to hear from those who know best.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you found someone chap I went done something similar on game farm rears excess of 100.000 at age 10 on weekends school holidays. worked there for 8 year's gained unbelievable experience in rearing and keepering with mass hours and very little wage but now run my own game farm 5years and counting doubling in size each year. Hope you found someone Keane, all best for some let's hope the weather is in our favour.

Seems like a good lad, and certainly keen. Saddest thing was the number of out of work experienced keepers who applied for a job way below their capability. Been some tough times for the keepering industry over the past decade, and not getting any better either. Majority by far of my customers are small part time shoots doing their own keepering at weekends.

Mind you, why anyone wants to be a game farmer beats me........ must be among the highest risk business there are, and cut throat to the extreme. Five months working yourself to death, then seven months getting ready to do it again!

I enjoy it really. I do. Honest...... :hmm: