End of season tidy up

ayano3

I have had a morning in the garage having a good sort out of my Wildfowling gear and equipment. The thigh boots are washed and drying, the ruck sack has been emptied and other gear freed of a seasons mud.

Towards the end of the season I was thinking that I may just need a few cartridges to see the season out but to my utter disbelief I have over 100 cartridges of various loads and makes distributed between my store, ruck sack, pockets, game bag and Flambeau hand muff (which I has a dozen loops and used in adverse weather) There was me thinking I need to stock up but maybe have more than my usual supplier stashed away.

Does anyone else, or has anyone else find gear that you didn't realise you had ?

The only thing i've found that i didnt know i had, was a few eley lightings down the seat of the car!

Gear was all washed and put away last week ( apart from the thigh boots which still sit on their sticks in the garden ). I've had a sort through to see if i need to buy anything for next season ( which is quite a few things ). However i've got enough loading components to last me about 5 seasons so i should be good for cartridges!

Edited by Big Mat

The only thing i've found that i didnt know i had, was a few eley lightings down the seat of the car!

Gear was all washed and put away last week ( apart from the thigh boots which still sit on their sticks in the garden ). I've had a sort through to see if i need to buy anything for next season ( which is quite a few things ). However i've got enough loading components to last me about 5 seasons so i should be good for cartridges!

They must be mine then !

My chest waders are still hanging up covered in mud , meant to sort them this last week but forgot , they seem to have as much mud inside as outside !

I too have lots of cartridges left , I was over optimistic buying two whole boxes for the season :lol:

I still intend to stock up on some lightnings if I get the chance rather than waiting for the next season when they will no doubt be in short supply .

My chest waders are still hanging up covered in mud , meant to sort them this last week but forgot , they seem to have as much mud inside as outside !

I too have lots of cartridges left , I was over optimistic buying two whole boxes for the season :lol:

I still intend to stock up on some lightnings if I get the chance rather than waiting for the next season when they will no doubt be in short supply .

Just get one more box of lightenings, they'll last you another couple of seasons :lol:

I wont reveal how many shots i fired this season, but it was quite a few for not alot!

No I haven't found something I didn't realise I had , but I lost something that I knew I had . I left 4 Mallard decoys on a fare ole bit water on my marsh which I hire myself, I have left decoys out before and they hadn't been touched ,but this night it started to rain hard so I thought I leave them there till I come down again in two days time as we had a shoot on the following day, .when I went down to pick em up they were gone I found out there were two boys from the local wildfowling club on the next marsh over the boundry dyke but it could have been someone else we will never know . I wasn't too bothered about what they were worth but they belonged to an old fowling friend of mine who died and his wife gave me his gear I sold every thing I didn't want and she donated the money to Norfolk Wildlife Trust and Air Ambulance I kept the decoys to remember the times we had spent together on the marsh . There you go they might turn up one day.

I lost a sack full of decoys a few years ago after taking out a guest who had won an auction fund raser. 20 wigeon decoys, hide , 50 shells , two Tidepool mother lines and half a dozen dead wigeon . Like a fool when we got back to the car in the rain I left them by the tail gate. Discovering my mistake I rushed back to the marsh , but they were gone . Admitedly several of the decoys were quite old ,but most were new. I got a shock when it came around to replacing them 10 on the decoys were Avery \ GHG at a tenner apeice ,10 sport plast wigeon magnum decoys at £8.00 each , the motherline was a gift , but cost £30 to replace , the wigeon decoys over £180 and the almost new decoy bag £30. With the odds and ends ( the line clips were over £1 each and there were 20 0f them let alone the shells. So it proved an expensive mistake.

On another tack twice we have found decoys on the marshland shoot a mate and I hire in the Wavenly valley. some poacher had obviously had a fright and left his decoys behind, not that they were very good quality coys. I have been through the car this week and it is amazing the number of odd shells left behind the seats and in coat pockets.

Edited by anser2

Watch out for the UV damage on those waders if left out.

I lost a sack full of decoys a few years ago after taking out a guest who had won an auction fund raser. 20 wigeon decoys, hide , 50 shells , two Tidepool mother lines and half a dozen dead wigeon . Like a fool when we got back to the car in the rain I left them by the tail gate. Discovering my mistake I rushed back to the marsh , but they were gone . Admitedly several of the decoys were quite old ,but most were new. I got a shock when it came around to replacing them 10 on the decoys were Avery \ GHG at a tenner apeice ,10 sport plast wigeon magnum decoys at £8.00 each , the motherline was a gift , but cost £30 to replace , the wigeon decoys over £180 and the almost new decoy bag £30. With the odds and ends ( the line clips were over £1 each and there were 20 0f them let alone the shells. So it proved an expensive mistake.

On another tack twice we have found decoys on the marshland shoot a mate and I hire in the Wavenly valley. some poacher had obviously had a fright and left his decoys behind, not that they were very good quality coys. I have been through the car this week and it is amazing the number of odd shells left behind the seats and in coat pockets.

I often get a cold feeling about leaving the gun behind, never done it but its like locking the front door - sometimes I check that 2-3 times on leaving the house (I think I might have OCD) Decoys are too expensive for what they are (I know its down to shipping and importation cost but crickey) must remember to sort clean, collate, repair and store mine. In the mid summer I will give them a second off season wash and touch a few up (leaving a few tatties for early season when the drakes are less defined in plumage). At the same summer re-paint period I shall be making a few a few standing mallards silhouettes and some widgeon grazers. The mainlines and two pair of waders are still in the truck.

Watch out for the UV damage on those waders if left out.

Plastic decoys also fade and become brittle if left in daylight

I try and have a clean out every 12 months,but it does not always go to plan.....most memorable was when i sorted out "my" corner of the garage one year. I could not believe the amount of perfectly usable fishing, and shooting gear, that had been hidden in some quiet corner of a draw....and yes there was half a box of cartridges there (oops)

A good clear out and tidy up is always worthwhile!

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

Just sorted through all the cartridges, had a few more than i though!

For the 12:

5 x 1 1/4 ounce hevi shot 4/5s

12 x 1 1/2 ounce hevi shot 4/5s

13 x 32gram Bismuth 4s

4 x 37gram steel 3s

25 x 32gram steel 2s

5 x 33gram steel 3s

4 x 34gram steel 3s

8 x 28gram steel 4s

15 x 1 1/4 ounce steel BBs

For the 10:

8 x 1 1/2 ounce ITM 3s.

Enough left to pattern the various loads with different chokes and pick the best one to load up for next season. Just have to get some more soft non toxic for the 2 3/4" side by side and some big loads for the 10.

Edited by Big Mat

Hi Big Mat.......You must be earning good money up north if you can afford to leave all those Heavyshot shells laying about , when I bought a small box of Heavyshot I had to renew my house contents insurance and update my burglar alarm. I don't suppose they want any retired brick layers part time do they? if not ill have to look after the two ive got.

Hi Big Mat.......You must be earning good money up north if you can afford to leave all those Heavyshot shells laying about , when I bought a small box of Heavyshot I had to renew my house contents insurance and update my burglar alarm. I don't suppose they want any retired brick layers part time do they? if not ill have to look after the two ive got.

I was lucky enough to get some loose hevi shot very very cheap. the 10 bore ITM cost an arm and a leg, much more than a box of hevi shot! I'll be sticking to steel in future!

I was lucky enough to get some loose hevi shot very very cheap. the 10 bore ITM cost an arm and a leg, much more than a box of hevi shot! I'll be sticking to steel in future!

Correctly loaded I seriously doubt you need any more than steel in the ten on the marsh

Steel shells I have plenty. 12ga 2 3/4. 3. 3 1/2" 10ga Nitro steel BB and handloads of no.2. Also enough componants shot and powder to kill a good proportion of the UK population of geese next season, though chances are I will still have a big stock in five to ten years.

What I do have to sort is what to use all those ones up on I don't see fit enough to store all summer, the ones with the slightly rusty tops having been left in the car or cartridge belt. They are building year on year

Kent with regards to the rusty tops is it my imagination or do these new steel cartridge cases rust quicker than the old lead ones, I dont remember having to wire brush cartridges in my youth it now appears to be a weekly chore or is it that I used them up quicker then. :yes:

Kent with regards to the rusty tops is it my imagination or do these new steel cartridge cases rust quicker than the old lead ones, I dont remember having to wire brush cartridges in my youth it now appears to be a weekly chore or is it that I used them up quicker then. :yes:

The old ones were actual brass heads the new are cheaper steel with a brass lookalike wash

Well I know its not a shooting clear out but me and my dad where cleaning up the shed and there was boxes god nos how old we foukd some loaded 8 bore cases Eley knyhoch ( and spell it ) is what there where also found some old reloading gear and a load of shot of various sizes all stuff of my grandads which was given to my dad who forgot all about forgot to mention that these cases where quite old

Well I know its not a shooting clear out but me and my dad where cleaning up the shed and there was boxes god nos how old we foukd some loaded 8 bore cases Eley knyhoch ( and spell it ) is what there where also found some old reloading gear and a load of shot of various sizes all stuff of my grandads which was given to my dad who forgot all about forgot to mention that these cases where quite old

I should love to find some of them, indeed I should like to find just one of those

That's some treasure trove, even without the attached memories.

I should love to find some of them, indeed I should like to find just one of those

Iwas pretty surprised when I found them they where loaded all loaded with 1s and 3s they were also paper cartridges I also found some recipes for cartroges if anyone wants some give me a pm but they are in lead but im sure you could use a substitute I think they aee eight bore cases