Thimbleby shooting ground to close !

Shooting at Thimbleby on Wednesday and was told at the end of March the ground will be closing as the land owner will not renew the lease. It's areal shame as I enjoy shooting there. Dave the guy who runs the ground is looking for some new land to set up a new ground on but has had no luck. So with anyone knows where there some suitable land in North Yorkshire/Teesside let him know

Mark

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot some good registered esp and str comps a good few years ago there, it would be great if someone took the lease over and put some shoots on there again.

Azzurri.

After reading above, I don't think it's the shoot owner that's finishing.

It's the landowner not renewing the lease,

Dave (shoot owner) looks like he is lining something else up,

Good luck to him, as I said earlier, it's a good little ground, well run

:shaun:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there Shaun...I meant the good registered sporting and sportrap I shot there were set by the previous owner, not Dave...I my opinion he's done nothing for registered competition up there in your neck of the woods and the best thing that could happen to that ground would be a new more open minded guy who'd be prepered to run regular registered shoots, it could've been a great little ground.

Azzurri.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there Shaun...I meant the good registered sporting and sportrap I shot there were set by the previous owner, not Dave...I my opinion he's done nothing for registered competition up there in your neck of the woods and the best thing that could happen to that ground would be a new more open minded guy who'd be prepered to run regular registered shoots, it could've been a great little ground.

Azzurri.

Ah, sorry,

I don't shoot registered and have only ever shot there since Dave has run it,

For me (Straw bale shooter really) it comes across as a good ground,

We don't have a great choice up here as even Thimbleby is a good 75 minutes away,

Apart from Spennymoor (hour away) we have nothing registered shooting wise

We have a few local clubs that serve us that don't shoot registered which are run by and shot by like minded people,

They only time I shoot registered type targets is when I go to the PW charity shoots

Ah, sorry,

I don't shoot registered and have only ever shot there since Dave has run it,

For me (Straw bale shooter really) it comes across as a good ground,

We don't have a great choice up here as even Thimbleby is a good 75 minutes away,

Apart from Spennymoor (hour away) we have nothing registered shooting wise

We have a few local clubs that serve us that don't shoot registered which are run by and shot by like minded people,

They only time I shoot registered type targets is when I go to the PW charity shoots

Oaklodge Hartlepool is now registered and is / will be holding comps,.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Oaklodge Hartlepool is now registered and is / will be holding comps,.

KW

I think given a bit of time Oaklodge will be a cracking ground for you guys up in the north east. I shot the recent fitasc shoot there, it's great to see the work Andy and his better half have put in, deffo worth another visit in the summer :good:

Azzurri.

If he is looking for more land is he going to buy new traps ???

The word is the estate has bought all his gear if so i don't think they will close it down

Just heard last sunday that Dave had been asked to stay on a couple of months till the new guy takes over..

If he was asked that i can imagine Dave's answer..... but like all rumours you have to take it with a pinch of salt..

I shoot Oak Lodge and so do a few of us that used to shoot Thimbleby we got sick of Dave's attitude...

Edited by hawkeye

Azzurri.

Totally agree Azzurri, Kenny Crackett had the ground set up very nice and had shooters interests at heart as well.

It will be good to see someone take it on and make a real go of it, there you go mate, a nice little venture for you to take on lol.

As for the registered shoots, with both Spennymoor and now Oaklodge running them in the North East, things don't look to bleak. Marne would run them as well if it was hassle free but we lack too much in the extra facilities required such as a large enough club house and don't think I could put on enough variation for regular 100 bird shoots. Happy to remain a 'straw baler' :yahoo:

Good luck to however gets in there to sort it out though. :good:

Totally agree Azzurri, Kenny Crackett had the ground set up very nice and had shooters interests at heart as well.

It will be good to see someone take it on and make a real go of it, there you go mate, a nice little venture for you to take on lol.

As for the registered shoots, with both Spennymoor and now Oaklodge running them in the North East, things don't look to bleak. Marne would run them as well if it was hassle free but we lack too much in the extra facilities required such as a large enough club house and don't think I could put on enough variation for regular 100 bird shoots. Happy to remain a 'straw baler' :yahoo:

Good luck to however gets in there to sort it out though. :good:

I'm with you there Tony...Ken did a great job there in the past, I used to love it there and I did consider taking the lease on when it was last up for grabs. I decided against it for various reasons though :yes:

I enjoy Spenny and Oaklodge for registered but like you say there is a pretty good 'straw baler' near by that throws proper targets too B) :good:

Hopefully if the lease is sorted out the new guy will cater for ALL shooters, keep things fresh by changing the practice targets once in a while and get a buzz going around the place again :)

Azzurri.

I'm with you there Tony...Ken did a great job there in the past, I used to love it there and I did consider taking the lease on when it was last up for grabs. I decided against it for various reasons though :yes:

I enjoy Spenny and Oaklodge for registered but like you say there is a pretty good 'straw baler' near by that throws proper targets too B) :good:

Hopefully if the lease is sorted out the new guy will cater for ALL shooters, keep things fresh by changing the practice targets once in a while and get a buzz going around the place again :)

Azzurri.

im a member of thimbleby and as far as I know it's closing at the end of March and Morrisons will not renew it it's a great ground and well run by David I hope he finds another ground Gordon

• 2 months later...