Fox baiting methods

johnny

Someone coursed a munjac on my ground a few weeks ago so I left it there and shot a couple of foxes off it. But now it's finished. Just wondering what methods other people used as I'd like to try and get a spot going again but don't know what's the best way to go about it

Cheers john

I also think its worth using the onion sack dragged across the ground first to lay a trail

This is a method I have used in the past Tried and tested with good results, all the above posts are great advice, but the telegraph pole or the, staked out ones are spot on, make em work for it in the spot you want to shoot em

Another method is to dig 2ft of soil pipe ! 6" plastic into the ground and put the bait in it ,it makes em work for it and as stated they stay in the same spot trying to get the bait out,

Just keep up with the baiting

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

I would check 1st if you burying some soil pipe that its not going to get ploughed up or livestock isn't going to put its foot in it.

dog or cat biscuits are good for holding but stamp them in the ground, the crow's will get most. Fish oil, food scraps all sorts.

This is a method I have used in the past Tried and tested with good results, all the above posts are great advice, but the telegraph pole or the, staked out ones are spot on, make em work for it in the spot you want to shoot em

Another method is to dig 2ft of soil pipe ! 6" plastic into the ground and put the bait in it ,it makes em work for it and as stated they stay in the same spot trying to get the bait out,

Just keep up with the baiting

Atb

Flynny

The scent wont carry far like that though, your creating a dead spot to air scenting

Dougy!!!!! obviously you wouldn't put in in an area to be ploughed doh!!!! And you would obviously have to have perm of your farmer and in an area with no live stock, ( but I ain't writing war and peace on the matter)

Kent, if there are fox in the area they will find it,

Jeeeeeeesus ,I wonder why I bother sometimes,

Atb

Flynny

Dougy!!!!! obviously you wouldn't put in in an area to be ploughed doh!!!! And you would obviously have to have perm of your farmer and in an area with no live stock, ( but I ain't writing war and peace on the matter)

Kent, if there are fox in the area they will find it,

Jeeeeeeesus ,I wonder why I bother sometimes,

Atb

Flynny

I don't doubt it but why make it hard, see this all the time with birds that fall in a hollow or snow they are far harder to pick. Traditional stink pit works. I totally get the fact they cant just pluck it up and run without time to catch a well aimed bullet though with it being hard to pull out, could be a great way to plant a bait after an onion sack drag?

telegraph pole / tree sounds good, also read at some point if using this method try putting a sock or like filled with some

smelly bait higher up so the smell carries better, remember the object of the exercise is to get the fox there asap without

eating any game on the way good look

Dougy!!!!! obviously you wouldn't put in in an area to be ploughed doh!!!!

Atb

Flynny

sorry on tablet (no not tablets) lol

can't put lol image's on,,,,, my comments re pipe was from experience farmers ploughed it in good and propper.

we save all scrap and left over food freeze it and I drop it off when go out.

I don't doubt it but why make it hard, see this all the time with birds that fall in a hollow or snow they are far harder to pick. Traditional stink pit works. I totally get the fact they cant just pluck it up and run without time to catch a well aimed bullet though with it being hard to pull out, could be a great way to plant a bait after an onion sack drag?

Exactly old bean, my apologies the op was asking for advice maybe I should have went all war and peace ha ha ha

Atb

Flynny

I've heard of this before, probably here, but never tried and never had the need to try, almost any food seems to attract the fox and keep his attention if positioned in the right place.

Never had any problem with cat/dog food, rats, pigeons, pheasant, rabbit, chicken, deer, crow, etc., as appropriate for the location. :good:

This is brilliant as a fox lure. I have some fermenting at the moment. :good:

I spray it on the truck, tyres in particular it stinks good and propper. Done with the intention of masking my smell ( i do have a problem with flatulance) not saying that its that thats resulted in some good nights but i'm happy and its cost me B all apart from a little time in the shed.

sachets of tesco finest cat food at 17p a sachet is the one for me

stinks

you dont need much and you are not left carrying a tin around with you afterwards. (left one under the car seat for a bit too long until I found the source of the smell a few months later!!)

dribble it around after mushing up in the bag

I also use it in the fox trap

just spear it on the bait hook with a slit to slowly drip out

other ones are anchovies or sardines in tins

whack a nail through the tin with the ring pull facing down and crack the tin open so it can run down the pole/post/tree etc