Targeting farms/land for permissions. What's your approach?

Squash wavy

So I have some time to go door knocking this week. I am going to try and take the approach with the landowner and say I can't guarantee if can come out all the time, therefore for the right to shoot on the land, I will happily pay £20 each time I do. I just can't get out if work much.

My question really is, I want to go out with a plan of targeting a list if farms / potential locations that look interesting? Do you simply see what's about and then knock on the nearest house or do you go out with an plan on who to visit?

It's a nightmare really, but suggesting payment isn't a good idea. That just starts a potential auction.

I don't have much idea, try looking for farms with a problem and tell the farmer (if you can find him) that you will help as much as you can.

I got most of my perms by beating on a couple of shoots for a few years, before the farmers in the area started to trust me.

I have 'door knockers', e mails, letters all the time, the odd twenty quid would mean nadder to me.

It's safe to say that it's incredibly difficult to get shooting permission, my only advice would be to research and start with small steps, find a singular problem and offer to help sort it.

As I'd said many many times.....

'Hi, I don't know you, you don't know me, but can I shoot on your farm please, I'll give you 20 pounds'

As opposed to

'I've seen sheds loads of pigeon/crow/rabbit on thIs field, I'm looking to get some land but finding it difficult, would you give a trial on this one field and see if I can help?'

Good luck

Hi Josh,

I'm not far from you in Sutton Coldfield, and my sister lives in Harborne.

Like you I've been looking for some shooting with no success so far.

I am in a pigeon shooting club, but it has 100+ members and doesn't really work very well.

ATB

Jeremy

I'm having trouble finding perm local to my new home, but historically what has worked best for me is: "i see you have a resident fox / fair few rabbits / problem with crows and i wondered if you'd like me to come and deal with that for you?"

then flash the insurance documents and FAC/SC and explain that you do it locally for XYZ, "but their problems seem to have dried up".

Hay the best thing is if u have a trade use it I look after the landowners and sort out all electrical works they have problems with as u can tell I'm a sparky but first get to know them and don't push it if they say no just ask and forget about it I asked the guy and it took 6 weeks till he rang and said yes

Sound advice from kyska. :good:

+1, always is.

OP:- Don't take this the wrong way, but please don't use the term "shootings rights" with any of us farmers either - shooting permission you might get, shooting rights are something rather different, and can be worth a considerable sum....

The singular problem approach is good advice too - on a single field - it might work here (!)

ATB

Edited by FarmerSim

Some good advice above and great that we have some Farmers/landowners giving a perspective too.

As with most things "who you know" can work wonders to get a recommendation or to drop a name into conversation so try and get involved with a local shooting fraternity whether that be clays or game to get a clearer picture of shooting in your area.

Once you have an appointment or meeting on site be professional and make sure you have everything they might want to see with you....I always have:

SGC

Insurance details

BASC Membership

Copies of courses I.e. Killgerm etc.

Copies of other shooting perm slips with maps and boundaries and endorsements if you can get some.

Copies of GL

copies of shotgun/air gun safety rules

And if the meeting is going well bring out the pre printed map of the land in question to discuss boundaries along with a blank perm slip.

I have found that although most dont look at all of it the fact that you have shown you are professional and serious goes a long way.

Good luck and keep trying.