Binoculars

JABB

Starting to take up walking and we have some wonderful hills and valleys here in the Cotswolds. I thought I may buy a pair of binoculars to walk with.
General purpose. Can anyone recommend a magnification suitable to the walker / hiker please?

8X i have a pair of compacts baush and lomb, had them for over 20 years now. great quality. last christmas i got the wife a pair of pentax papilio these are great if you like looking at buds on trees or close up of insects and stuff but also a great pair for distance work to..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-6-5x21-Close-Papilio-Binoculars/dp/B0007TSYCA

Starting to take up walking and we have some wonderful hills and valleys here in the Cotswolds. I thought I may buy a pair of binoculars to walk with.

General purpose. Can anyone recommend a magnification suitable to the walker / hiker please?

Its more lens quality than mag level to be fair. With good glass and 7x is enough to tell a rabbit from a hare at 1000 yards, with rubbish you might struggle at 2-300 yards no matter if you were into double figures.

Compact set about 30 mm objectives and fixed mag no more than 8x should do fine from one of the leading makers if it fits your budget. 7x50 or the likes will tire you too much and give you neck ache

• 3 weeks later...

Get yourself a good pair secondhand....Just check they haven't been abused and the prisms are aligned properly, otherwise you're talking serious eye strain...even new ones have prism alignment problems sometimes...just try them before you buy...

I have a cracking pair of old German Optolyths I bought years ago for £40...will never part with them...Brilliant Glasses.

Don't go over 10x magnification or you'll never hold them steady.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For walking and hiking get yourself a pair of compacts. No need to spend a lot of money 8x30 rubber coated would be the ideal combination of magnification and objective lens diameter and have a reasonable field of view. Not to heavy either.

My recommendation would be a pair of Opticron Savannah 8 x30 Porro prism binoculars. http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/savanna_wp.html Not too expensive and a good all rounder. Opticron glass optics are excellent value for money and as good as any in this price range.

Beware of the cheaper bins that sellers say perform as well as models costing ten times as much.....they don't!

Pick some up and handle them, when you view through them make sure the image is crisp and focused right up to the outside perimeter of the lens. Poor quality lens systems will be slightly out of focus and blurred at this point.

I'd go for 8x42 . You'll get a decent pair for about £100, not too powerful or heavy. I bought a pair of Visionary on line a few years ago in 8 x 42 for £80 and I can't fault them and use them for stalking all the time. The only ones I'd swap them for would be Swarovski if I had £1000 - £2000 burning a hole in my pocket! :(

What's your budget? 8x42 are the optimum size for birding and general use. Top of the range are Leica, Zeiss & Swarovski. Middle but good are Steiner, Opticron, Nikon etc. Make sure you buy rubber coated and waterproof. The same maker will produce a low price range and a high price range. Go for the best you can afford and they will last you a lifetime. Don't go for any zoom type the lens will be inferior.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/ex_demo/ex_demo_optics.htm

Worth a look here ex-display generally half priceprice, I've bought a nice pair of Opticron from these.

Good call, I bought mine from there and are not too far from JABB.

I was blown away by some optics..... I went on a dull day and looked into the shadows below the trees behind Sherwoods.

I also bought ex demo but Minox HD's

Good call, I bought mine from there and are not too far from JABB.

I was blown away by some optics..... I went on a dull day and looked into the shadows below the trees behind Sherwoods.

I also bought ex demo but Minox HD's

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/ex_demo/ex_demo_optics.htm

Worth a look here ex-display generally half priceprice, I've bought a nice pair of Opticron from these.

Thanks guys. They are not too far.