Help....Cant find Land In Oxfordhsire to shoot!!

lloydi73

Hi Guys,

I recently joined, (2 days ago), and this looks a really good site, full of people with great ideas and suggestions!! I am new to shooting, started in November 13, but already have the major bug. I am struggling to get landowners permission to pigeon and rabbit shoot in and around Oxfordshire. I have followed all the advice about dressing up in proper shooting attire, shirt, tie, jumper coat, boots etc, ask nicely, offer services in return etc etc, but constantly am declined. Does anybody know anybody in or around Oxfordhsire I can get in touch with? I hold the relevant shotgun certificate, am CPSA registered so am insured and I am police checked, I even have a CRB check through work!!

Edited by lloydi73

Good luck in your quest I think you will find (as I have) that the majority of the land in Oxfordshire is rented to pigeon companies to sell pigeon days If I remeber rightly UK SHOOT WAREHOUSE has a considerable amount in the area and a couple of other companies.

Sadly as I have found watching fields of OSR for days and weeks on end being hammered by pigeons went to see the farmer evrn with video evidence and being told no I have someone who does it yet nobody shoots it very annoying.

Try asking the local gamekeepers if they need help around the shoot with feeding, pen repairs etc and hopefully that may lead to permission. If you don't know where the shoots are go to guns on pegs or Spiders appeal (a very worthy cause may I add!) and find the ones local to you.

Also you mention Rabbit and Pigeon shooting, start with rat, feral pigeon, crows, magpies etc. offer to shoot all vermin and get a decent air rifle for around the yards/ buildings. Offering to deal with the problems in the yard will usually get some decent shooting to! I have got a few permissions by offering to clear feral pigeons from cow sheds etc. and then get the decoying as well, spent a day decoying, clear some ferals and rats with the air rifle before going home, everyone's a winner!

you will find it hard round here get your self an air rifle and try some of the big houses with ajoining fields or stables and ask if they need a rabbits shot people with stables not want rabbits digging holes as the horses can brake a leg in them keep trying