Norfolk pike fishing

Whitebridges

How have the big salt tides affected the Thurne?

I spoke to a mate of Phil Harper's that I know in October whilst shooting on Rockland (totally random meet in the pub) and he said that a lot of fish of all species had perished in the big Oct tide.

The weather was good for early March so we went off in the punt.

After an early start the fish readily took sea fish dead baits.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGBRXBzWhR4

nice, is the pike fishing good in norfolk? I visit my uncle living in norfolk so may have to bring the old spinning rod next time

I'd say it's pretty good. One thing is for sure there is plenty of water to fish. Some might say its over fished in places but there is a lot of virtually untouched parts. The best way to approach it is to hire a boat.

Good vid,we were out on the tees on Sunday. Not even a bite,first time we have blanked for years.

Piking can be a bit like that. They were having it the day I made the film. We had 11 runs and 7 fish in about five hours. Numbnut here forgot the head strap for the camera so couldn't film my fish.

How have the big salt tides affected the Thurne?

I spoke to a mate of Phil Harper's that I know in October whilst shooting on Rockland (totally random meet in the pub) and he said that a lot of fish of all species had perished in the big Oct tide.

Hit pretty bad by all accounts. Lots of dead fish,especially bream. Not an uncommon occurrence these days though. When such things happen it's all doom and gloom but the rivers always seem to recover very quickly. I've fished all over The Broads for many years and the fishing and fish stocks have never been better.

There is a theory that the fish kills are partly responsible for the monster Pike that have been taken on the broads as it can leave a niche for the survivors as regards competition for the best habitat / food. Of course as we should know Pike thrive on neglect and low numbers caught lead to little angling pressure, never feel confident in a big Pike when I am catching endless 6-7 lb fish a few tiny ones and odd doubles here and there gets me far more exited at my chances of a big girl.

Yes Kent i'm familiar with this theory. I have also seen the other side whereby the pike take a hammering. I have seen huge fish culls due to algae blooms and salt water rages which include pike to 40lbs +.

There are no hard and fast rules IMO, your experience may well be different. As an example one morning on Ormsby Broad I caught a shed load of jacks to 6lb on big dead baits intended for the "big girls" . At the last knockings I caught two fish over 20lbs on a tiny mepps spinner in the same spot!

By way of contrast I've fished several spots on The Broads known to hold big fish and put loads of hours catching zip all. These days I go infrequently and target places that will produce a few fish, for me this makes for a nice few hours out.

Edited by Whitebridges

Looks like you had a nice day out , never fished the broads for pike , I guess having so many drains nearby I have never needed to stray too much.

I have given pike fishing a break for about 4 winters now do to stocks getting depleted with the fish being taken to eat , also the recent very wet winters render the drains almost unfishable for large periods.

I am starting to think about giving it a try again next year though.

Yes Kent i'm familiar with this theory. I have also seen the other side whereby the pike take a hammering. I have seen huge fish culls due to algae blooms and salt water rages which include pike to 40lbs +.

There are no hard and fast rules IMO, your experience may well be different. As an example one morning on Ormsby Broad I caught a shed load of jacks to 6lb on big dead baits intended for the "big girls" . At the last knockings I caught two fish over 20lbs on a tiny mepps spinner in the same spot!

By way of contrast I've fished several spots on The Broads known to hold big fish and put loads of hours catching zip all. These days I go infrequently and target places that will produce a few fish, for me this makes for a nice few hours out.

Were the big fish lay the little ones play, it works in reverse I am very much a believer in Jack feeding having had some good fish this way on Jack infested water. Like you say various dynamics can occur in the population. I seem to remember Fickling? did a whole lot of theorising on population pyramids and dynamics of population size ranges in the 80's

Were the big fish lay the little ones play, it works in reverse I am very much a believer in Jack feeding having had some good fish this way on Jack infested water. Like you say various dynamics can occur in the population. I seem to remember Fickling? did a whole lot of theorising on population pyramids and dynamics of population size ranges in the 80's

Neville Fickling has to be a legend in his own lifetime. I think he's a yellowbelly but he spend a lot of time on The Broads

Looks like you had a nice day out , never fished the broads for pike , I guess having so many drains nearby I have never needed to stray too much.

I have given pike fishing a break for about 4 winters now do to stocks getting depleted with the fish being taken to eat , also the recent very wet winters render the drains almost unfishable for large periods.

I am starting to think about giving it a try again next year though.

We did thanks.You'll have the same issues with Johnny Foreigner raping anything edible.It's that bad now that all the ***** brethren have chucked the towel in and buy from the pro's from Eastern Europe.

If you go to fishing with a bag of a dozen fresh herring they'll try and buy your bait. No bull****!

Chining saves all that twisting up in the net and trebles stuck everywhere. IMO it's ok with fish to low doubles, but over that I'd be concerned on all that weight hanging off the vertebrae.

Dave Lumb does a useful hook proof net mesh though.

Sport of Kings, great video thanks for sharing.

Making me look forward to September already.

I take it you prefer handing them them in to netting them?

Edited by Penelope

It seemed to work fine with the smaller ones but not so well with the larger more lively one?

From the boat we bring them along side and roll the hook out with long nosed pliers (always a single and always in the scissors when livebaiting) of the smaller ones, so they don't even get touched. We only net anything decent and worth taking pictures of.

Having snipped more than an occasional hook from mine and other peoples hands just take care hand landing! On balance its far better for the fish if you just pop the hook out in the water if you can, though this is rarely possible with a std two treble hook rig

Always found jacks to be much more lively than bigger fish.

It seemed to work fine with the smaller ones but not so well with the larger more lively one?

From the boat we bring them along side and roll the hook out with long nosed pliers (always a single and always in the scissors when livebaiting) of the smaller ones, so they don't even get touched. We only net anything decent and worth taking pictures of.

I'm looking forward to catching them on the fly this summer :good:

Great sport and in my opinion the fairest way to catch the pike on catch and release basis, single barbless hook popped out in the water when the fish still has some juice in its batteries :good:

I err on the side of caution and just do not fish for them when the water temps are on the up or high. Plenty of other species to go at, but that is just my choice.

Great sport and in my opinion the fairest way to catch the pike on catch and release basis, single barbless hook popped out in the water when the fish still has some juice in its batteries :good: