Norfolk pike fishing

Whitebridges

I err on the side of caution and just do not fish for them when the water temps are on the up or high. Plenty of other species to go at, but that is just my choice.

Early mornings, the water is cooler and the fish tend to be active or flowing / aerated water with higher oxygen content. Summer piking is a thing we must live with now. The worst time to hit pike is just prior to the spawn which is when most used to be done, the fish fought poorly but weighed in at their biggest. The closed season ending for course fish was the biggest failure in Angling conservation from the time of the industrial revolution pollutions though IMO

The close season doesn't capture all species though, dace, pike and perch will be gravid and can and will spawn towards the end of the season and carp, crucians, rudd and tench will still be spawning from the start of the season and onwards. It does capture the main roach and bream spawning periods though.

A blanket close season to cover all species of course fish would run from the end of January until the end of August.

Early mornings, the water is cooler and the fish tend to be active or flowing / aerated water with higher oxygen content. Summer piking is a thing we must live with now. The worst time to hit pike is just prior to the spawn which is when most used to be done, the fish fought poorly but weighed in at their biggest. The closed season ending for course fish was the biggest failure in Angling conservation from the time of the industrial revolution pollutions though IMO

Edited by Penelope

He was after a peaceful day in good company , why would he want to spoil it :lol:

:lol: No pole dancers or beer on tap out there mate. Anyway it would have meant Three Men in a Boat..........eh kind of anyway.

In the summer Matt we can do a bit of drifting and oogle Bikini clad wench! :good: How does that sound?

Sport of Kings, great video thanks for sharing.

Making me look forward to September already.

I take it you prefer handing them them in to netting them?

Cheers it was a bit of fun. I got this Go Pro 3+ camera for a present so I thought i'd try it out. Luckily it's idiot proof and easy to use.

We like to glove them out ( but don't use a glove :rolleyes: ) It stems from the days of heavily barbed hooks when these would get tangled in the net. We use trebles (sometimes singles) mainly the hook that goes in to the bait is barbed and the two remaining are barbless or mico barbed. Gloving them out of the best way IMO but you do need to know what you are doing. It's been a few years since I got a treble in my hand but they pull our pretty easy with a pair of forceps.

Edited by Whitebridges

By Yellowbelly, I meant someone from Lincolnshire. It's not a condescending term they are proud of it!

You see someone from the true North like me wouldn't know that

Cheers it was a bit of fun. I got this Go Pro 3+ camera for a present so I thought i'd try it out. Luckily it's idiot proof and easy to use.

We like to glove them out ( but don't use a glove :rolleyes: ) It stems from the days of heavily barbed hooks when these would get tangled in the net. We use trebles (sometimes singles) mainly the hook that goes in to the bait is barbed and the two remaining are barbless or mico barbed. Gloving them out of the best way IMO but you do need to know what you are doing. It's been a few years since I got a treble in my hand but they pull our pretty easy with a pair of forceps.

Try one in the bone

I suppose you've also shot a a few miles of long line out at sea Kent? Got the tee-shirt mate.

Actually only on a dry beach over low water a few miles out. Been hooked a few times angling the time I mention was a 2/0 lure treble stuck into the bone quite fast on the end of my index finger pike still attached in a rocking boat

Wife pulled it out with the pliers (needed a good pulling) as I held the fish tight and I then unhooked the fish, nearly thirty years ago that one now and I still have a funny scab / scar there

Wow, how romantic Kent. You are a very very lucky fella. She must see a lot of qualities in you.

Wow, how romantic Kent. You are a very very lucky fella. She must see a lot of qualities in you.

Those who know her understand she is no bad angler and just 5 wks before our first daughter was born she was out on Lomond Piking, we had our honeymoon on Cape Cod fishing for striped Bass and Blues