A moment of mutual respect!

Nick8310

Now this is a little something which happened not to long ago, one of those moments which only happen a few times in your life. I was out on a permission of mine on a cold frosty morning a while back, out after for some rabbits. I was wrapped up warm laying prone in my favourite spot with my bipod extended, just admiring the sun glistening off of the frost covered ground when the first rabbits started to emerge. About 2 hours later and several rounds in I have got some clearing up to do and perpetrations for the dinner table to begin, But just as I am about to get up to fill my bag a young adult fox walks out of the bush-line i'am prone in, and walks 10 yards in front of me and then freezes. I knew that he had spotted me and he knew that he had walked right in the line of sight. As I looked down the scope cross hairs fixed firmly on him, my finger slowly squeezing he just stared at me, and then he done the unthinkable he just sat right there in the field. If it was fear or not knowing what to do that made him do it I don't know but he just sat there and relaxed as if he knew that these were his last moments. So I relaxed and let go of the trigger, it didn't seem fair 10 yards with a sat still target, I stood up which made him run down to the zone which I had been firing in and followed, as I made my way down he grabbed one of the rabbits only pausing for a brief moment to look back knowingly that for today we was both out just to get some food, but another day he might not be so lucky as to walk away with part of my food.

What would you have done?

Nick. :-)

Edited by Nick8310

Fair play to you....Nothing wrong it what you did as that was your choice. I often let squabs fly out the pattern as they present no sporting shot and young rabbits go when the tumble out the warren not knowing where to run....

I might well have shot it but I use a 22 rim fire for rabbits and the c/fire for bigger stuff....

TEH

No lambs running around so there was no real need to dispatch him. I just thought sporting wise it wasn't a challenge and because of his youth I don't think he was very cunning hopefully this life lesson for him will make for a interesting hunt for the future. ( I am very surprised at the amount that said shoot!)

As said above it would depend on what perm I was on, this is a "you had to be there moment" and we have ALL stood in awe at some of the wildlife that by virtue of our sport we come into contact with which can change your perspective at the time.

I was out once with my S410 bunny bashing on a summers eve and could have grabbed the horns of the leader of a load of roe that strolled by literally within 5feet of me.

On another day it would have been me - 1 fox - 0

Perhaps similar, its only happened once with a fox and I was carrying an airgun so it was always going to be a no shoot. Happened many times with deer, cant answer the why bit fully but I think its part respect and part the fact that the experience is often sullied by the killing more than improved?

Your not alone, if you have no respect for that which you hunt you are no hunter just a killer. Sometimes though needs must and the job gets done, I am sure the need wasn't there in this case

Perhaps similar, its only happened once with a fox and I was carrying an airgun so it was always going to be a no shoot. Happened many times with deer, cant answer the why bit fully but I think its part respect and part the fact that the experience is often sullied by the killing more than improved?

Your not alone, if you have no respect for that which you hunt you are no hunter just a killer. Sometimes though needs must and the job gets done, I am sure the need wasn't there in this case

+1

That happens to me all the time! In the place to which I refer foxes are off my quarry list because the hunt rides through the farm.

I have had many a 'head in cross hairs' moment with foxes there, and without exception they are the easiest shots where the bloody thing sits still for about 5 minutes at 50 yards!

No poultry about, just cattle. Plenty of pheasants though.

As I said earlier no lambs or poultry and the permission I was on wouldn't mind if I had or hadn't shot, and I agree with the notion that there is a difference between hunters and killers. I have shot with many people and from experience people who have a shoot now and admire when dead approach are trigger happy neanderthals. If it wasn't my target species for the day and no nearby farms for him to disturb and with him sat still basically waiting for me to pull the trigger (unsporting) there's no harm in letting Mr Fox roam for an extra day or two although it must be said I would happily get him another day. However as stated above it was a you had to be there moment.

Nick :-)

As I said earlier no lambs or poultry and the permission I was on wouldn't mind if I had or hadn't shot, and I agree with the notion that there is a difference between hunters and killers. I have shot with many people and from experience people who have a shoot now and admire when dead approach are trigger happy neanderthals. If it wasn't my target species for the day and no nearby farms for him to disturb and with him sat still basically waiting for me to pull the trigger (unsporting) there's no harm in letting Mr Fox roam for an extra day or two although it must be said I would happily get him another day. However as stated above it was a you had to be there moment.

Nick :-)

Fare point and well put.