A moment of mutual respect!

Nick8310

As it was somewhere that the fox didn't need shot then I would have left him too.

The memory of that fox standing beside you staring at you and then nicking one of your bunnies will last longer in the memory than taking an easy shot at 10 yards. I love memories like this when out shooting. One time I was out roost shooting years ago and I took a shot at a pigeon coming hurtling over the trees, I didn't notice 20 yards behind was a peregrine coming motoring after him, I missed the pigeon and the peregrine took him down a bit later, amazing sight.

As I said earlier no lambs or poultry and the permission I was on wouldn't mind if I had or hadn't shot, and I agree with the notion that there is a difference between hunters and killers. I have shot with many people and from experience people who have a shoot now and admire when dead approach are trigger happy neanderthals. If it wasn't my target species for the day and no nearby farms for him to disturb and with him sat still basically waiting for me to pull the trigger (unsporting) there's no harm in letting Mr Fox roam for an extra day or two although it must be said I would happily get him another day. However as stated above it was a you had to be there moment.

Nick :-)

I shouldn't shoot a fox if they were living in an area were their hunting for food might do more harm than good. Full stop! Vermin is about were something is not what it is

Fair play to you Nick!

I had a similar experience many moons ago, (bar the rabbit nabbing bit anyhow) when I was just into my teens, and out shooting an Air Arms Jackal.

I was sat in a bare patch of ground in a heap of stinging nettles. Obviously I wouldn't have even tried to shoot it with an air rifle anyhow, even one as mean looking as the Jackal! :lol:

It stopped, stared for a few seconds, then just turned and sat facing me, some 10' away! In all honesty I didn't know much about foxes at all then, and was a little afraid of being bitten! After around 20 seconds, probably less in reality, It seemed to clock the gun lay next to me on the ground, so I went to try and cover it with my forearm. At that point it bolted, and the story ends....

Always did puzzle me, why it stopped, turned and faced me, then sat down. Very strange.....

Nothing wrong with not pulling the trigger.

I've been in a situation with pheasants on more than one occasion where they just won't take off or poke their heads in a bush thinking you can't see them.

I enjoy what I do but don't think I should kill for the sale of killing.

Good on you!!

( I am very surprised at the amount that said shoot!)

On a Shooting Forum...really :whistling::lol:

Fair play to you,sometimes the hunt/stalk is where the memory comes from..not the kill.

I have spared various lives over the years from Roe Deer down to rabbits...and yes-even Foxes!!

But that was before i started to control them seriously...so i too would have shot it :yes:

Just hope little Susie's pet rabbit doesn't get taken by the 1 you let go :oops::lol: just kidding,it was your decision and you don't have to justify it :good:

I would of let it walk on, it's one of the reasons I only shoot with a hand full of trusted shooters...

Some people just want to shoot and kill anything they can and for no real gain, just do they can tell there mates on Facebook..

I do lots of foxing but that's on sheep farms and phesant shoots...so needs must.

But if I was just on a permission that had no lambs/ game birds what's the point in killing it...

I've been shooting with people and I have seen them just shoot rabbits/hares/geese just for the sake of it...and I've never spoke to them again..

There is nothing wrong in hunting for the pot or vermin control but killing for the sake of killing...not for me I'm afraid, so hats off to you mate for appreciating nature and letting it walk on..

I would of let it walk on, it's one of the reasons I only shoot with a hand full of trusted shooters...

Some people just want to shoot and kill anything they can and for no real gain, just do they can tell there mates on Facebook..

I do lots of foxing but that's on sheep farms and phesant shoots...so needs must.

But if I was just on a permission that had no lambs/ game birds what's the point in killing it...

I've been shooting with people and I have seen them just shoot rabbits/hares/geese just for the sake of it...and I've never spoke to them again..

There is nothing wrong in hunting for the pot or vermin control but killing for the sake of killing...not for me I'm afraid, so hats off to you mate for appreciating nature and letting it walk on..

absolutely agree :good:

Some people hunt some people shoot, you are IMO a true hunter and you did what you thought was right, I would have done the same as its not just about pulling the trigger. I am happy to go out and not shoot a thing its just about being out and enjoying the experience. The only thing I would never let walk on by is a squirrel!

As I said earlier no lambs or poultry and the permission I was on wouldn't mind if I had or hadn't shot, and I agree with the notion that there is a difference between hunters and killers. I have shot with many people and from experience people who have a shoot now and admire when dead approach are trigger happy neanderthals. If it wasn't my target species for the day and no nearby farms for him to disturb and with him sat still basically waiting for me to pull the trigger (unsporting) there's no harm in letting Mr Fox roam for an extra day or two although it must be said I would happily get him another day. However as stated above it was a you had to be there moment.

Nick :-)

Good post and agree completely with Nick and Archie above. Too many people have turned the fox control job into a "kill all" event where everything must die within a 10 mile radius of any sheep farm or pheasant pen . In any hunter/prey situation there has to be balance...I've always admired the bunny that's escaped the jaws of my lurcher after four or five bends... if its a sport there has to be a sporting chance. Are we going to be left with only urban foxes??

Jeff

• 4 months later...