Fracking hysteria

Ttfjlc

Something appeared that my friend had liked on Facebook from the independent about the dangers of fracking to wildlife, morcombe bay was mentioned, not sure how exaggerated the dangers are, just wondered if anybody else has heard if it possibly happening.

There was an interesting prog on The Beeb about the results of fracking in the USA - quite frightening really the gas and oil from the shale is not all collected - some migrates and it shows examples of domestic boreholes where, when the tap is turned on and a light placed near to it, the methane ignites - gas and water at the same time !

Worth checking reliable american TV or backtracking the beeb for some info.

However, over here strata is different - maybe extraction methods changed etc so, as said, nobody actually knows how we may be affected.

I have been on the Oil Industry for over 25 years and consider myself to be quite well informed on the subject....... what grips my nobby Styles is the utter rubbish that news progs spout or allow during an interview because they simply don't know the facts and apparently cant be bothered to find out about because of course that would spoil the fun of ranting Lefty Green types which of course is what they want to sell papers and make interesting news items.....

If they levy a hefty fine on news channels and papers that are proven to have miss informed it would pay for as many new nature reserves as you like none of which would be affected by Fracking

check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Il-M6B_-a_U

Edited by pavman

I have been on the Oil Industry for over 25 years and consider myself to be quite well informed on the subject....... what grips my nobby Styles is the utter rubbish that news progs spout or allow during an interview because they simply don't know the facts and apparently cant be bothered to find out about because of course that would spoil the fun of ranting Lefty Green types which of course is what they want to sell papers and make interesting news items.....

If they levy a hefty fine on news channels and papers that are proven to have miss informed it would pay for as many new nature reserves as you like none of which would be affected by Fracking

check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Il-M6B_-a_U

:yahoo::good:

Facts please........ this could be interesting....

Why do you need facts, your drinking water mainly comes from under ground, when the pressure is applied to the shale or rock, it forces the oil,Gas out, they result would surely be contaminated water that you drink, You don`t need facts, its common sense Eh.

The famous documentary about fracking in the US is called 'Gaslands' its a good watch although very biased against. The reality is the North Sea Oil is dwindling and technology has not advanced enough yet for green energy to fill the gap for the UK.

Largely i am pro as it would be a major boost for the economy and make us less reliant on energy from abroad (Russian Gas)

Wow some interesting replies, I was just wondering if/when they do ***** how much of a disturbance to the wildfowl it would be. Would have to be possibly the best excuse imaginable for a miss, "did you get it?" "No, they fracked the **** outta the ground just as I fired!" :)

Ok the first bleeped out word is F R A C K, the second deserves a bleep :)

Edited by Ttfjlc

Why do you need facts, your drinking water mainly comes from under ground, when the pressure is applied to the shale or rock, it forces the oil,Gas out, they result would surely be contaminated water that you drink, You don`t need facts, its common sense Eh.

its only Gas not Oil....

your water comes from surface or very shallow sub surface bore holes...

however lets assume the worse case (I have missed out about 20 stages to get here) and the Gas gets into the water taken for our use.....

Its a bit like taking a bath with your new girlfriend and by some terrible twist of fate beyond your control you Pharp.... expect 2 things,

1) you will be very embarrassed it all went wrong and

2) the gas will disperse and no real harm will come of it

If her mother calls up to say she was at risk from sitting in a Toxic gas induced soup of your making because you failed to take adequate precautions, you at least will know otherwise and at no time was she in any real danger :lol:

Edited by pavman

None the less I don't want my spring water contaminating with their chemicals or my compressor in the pump house filling with gas! The fact remains we will never know the damage or repercussions till its happened. Will we be compensated if they manage to turn my water bad, if they put the geese off the roosts etc?

I would have thought the obvious answer would to pick an experimental site to test its effects before issuing licences all over the country.

O I forgot its govenment halfwits in charge of the project

:whistling::big_boss:

Edited by anser2

None the less I don't want my spring water contaminating with their chemicals or my compressor in the pump house filling with gas! The fact remains we will never know the damage or repercussions till its happened. Will we be compensated if they manage to turn my water bad, if they put the geese off the roosts etc?

The Pinks come from the land of Ice and Snow and Gale force winds.... you are most likely underestimating their tolerance and at the same time overestimating the effects of Fracking that anyone outside the drilling village will be exposed to (its about the same as a busy building site) an not some mad science experiment.

I have been involved in many Fracking jobs offshore and the only difference to land is about 75 ft of sea water between me and the sea bed and I never felt so much as a shimmy up the drill pipe.......

As for Chemicals its relatively simple in as much as they balance what they pump in with whats already there

As for compensation these guys are good at this stuff and you have no chance of any compo, whats more likely is local communities will ask for and receive bribes in the normal way to keep them quite and that already takes place for housing developments and such like...... a play ground for the kids a new village hall that kind of thing

For those that have little or no idea what happens and why, they will I am sure have public information days but I guess folk need an open view and a willingness to listen and not just assume its all bad and terrible things will happen....

Natural Gas in the USA is half the price of UK gas as a result of widespread Fracking

The gov't have run out of trust...not that they had any in the first place.........its gone on record that the gas will be sold at market rate here in the U.K. so no change there, also the CEO of the fracking company Quadrilla., sits in the house of lords !.......i havnt a problem with fracking...what i have a problem with is the lack of information we are passed....large parts of this country rely on deep boreoles for their water.....some of the water we have in east anglia is termed as "fossilised water" as it started off in the Russian tundra over a 100,000 years ago .....i for one would like to be assured that there is no hydraulic continuity between the variios geoligical horizons that would interfere with our abstraction wells,

If our ground water is contaminated..(unlikley) by methane or other gases as a result of fracking , stripping plants will have to be built by the various water companies to take care of this problem....and the costs will be passed on the the end user......as usual.....higher bills

Fracking? I'm all for it :good: And yes, before anyone asks I would be quite happy if it was going on local to me. And nuclear power, we would be building reactors flat out if it was up to me. Our demand for power isn't going to reduce any time soon and renewable energy technology is not yet sufficiently developed to fill the gap. We are currently far too dependant on nut cases like Putin, and soon to be Salmond possibly, to supply our oil and gas. It is in our economic and strategic interest to produce as much of our own energy as we can. I would even support exploiting some of our coal reserves again if it could be done cost effectively without the subsidies and union stranglehold of the past.

Edited by Blunderbuss

The Pinks come from the land of Ice and Snow and Gale force winds.... you are most likely underestimating their tolerance and at the same time overestimating the effects of Fracking that anyone outside the drilling village will be exposed to (its about the same as a busy building site) an not some mad science experiment.

I have been involved in many Fracking jobs offshore and the only difference to land is about 75 ft of sea water between me and the sea bed and I never felt so much as a shimmy up the drill pipe.......

As for Chemicals its relatively simple in as much as they balance what they pump in with whats already there

As for compensation these guys are good at this stuff and you have no chance of any compo, whats more likely is local communities will ask for and receive bribes in the normal way to keep them quite and that already takes place for housing developments and such like...... a play ground for the kids a new village hall that kind of thing

For those that have little or no idea what happens and why, they will I am sure have public information days but I guess folk need an open view and a willingness to listen and not just assume its all bad and terrible things will happen....

Hi

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and I agre with some of what you say

And now here's the but

Just been informed they will be fracking in my area proberably drilling under my house ( not the sea) and I'm supposed to not be worried

all for cheap gas that hasn't yet been made available to the area I live

I'm aware we need energy and don't want to be a nimby however I would prefer a bit more science and research before profit run company's start running riot all over the country

All the best

Of

Sorry should add

Water is denser than air and would reduce and dissipate any felt shock wave considerably

Edited by Old farrier

The gov't have run out of trust...not that they had any in the first place.........its gone on record that the gas will be sold at market rate here in the U.K. so no change there, also the CEO of the fracking company Quadrilla., sits in the house of lords !.......i havnt a problem with fracking...what i have a problem with is the lack of information we are passed....large parts of this country rely on deep boreoles for their water.....some of the water we have in east anglia is termed as "fossilised water" as it started off in the Russian tundra over a 100,000 years ago .....i for one would like to be assured that there is no hydraulic continuity between the variios geoligical horizons that would interfere with our abstraction wells,

If our ground water is contaminated..(unlikley) by methane or other gases as a result of fracking , stripping plants will have to be built by the various water companies to take care of this problem....and the costs will be passed on the the end user......as usual.....higher bills

Of course the gas will be sold at market rate.........................the more fracking supplies become available the more the market price will drop as happened in the USA. It is currently cheaper to bring tankers of liquefied gas in to the UK from the USA than to take it from the north sea!

Windfarms are one way of making sure that energy becomes more expensive.

My leccy bill shows I pay 12p/kWh.

Windfarms get paid 25p/kWh so the more windfarms are built the dearer leccy will get!

And in 25 years we will be paying for them to be taken down!

i agree wind turbines are a waste of time if its to windy there turned off if there no wind there turned off some coal fired power stations with 4 machines are producing 2000 mega watts look in to how many wind turbine it needs to replace 1 of them machines but like everything else in this country Europe are forcing us to close them down these a lot closed in the last few year with more to follow couple this with high gas prices and the energy companys are not running gas turbine because its uneconomical fracking does need to be looked into because soon this country is at very real risk of not having enough power but this should of been seen years ago and nuclear powerstations build

look at this website it shows were our power is coming from

http://www.ukenergywatch.org/Electricity/Realtime