Fracking hysteria

Ttfjlc

Seems to me that many have succumb to the usual media scaremongering, this tech has been tested around the world for many years and proved to be safe, yes you do get the odd problem but that is not the norm and is the case with any other effective alternative.

I'm all for it.

once the wind reaches a certain speed they turn them side ways on to the wind and switch off or they would shake to bits

Only when it gets very strong - They have a variable pitch blade so should rotate more or less at the same speed all the time.

The Ness Point one is right over the top of local offices and makes a hell of a row.

Only when it gets very strong - They have a variable pitch blade so should rotate more or less at the same speed all the time.

The Ness Point one is right over the top of local offices and makes a hell of a row.

That's strange that it makes a noise, I`ve stood in the middle of five huge windmills and couldn`t hear a thing, have you actually heard it yourself? if so what does it sound like?

That's strange that it makes a noise, I`ve stood in the middle of five huge windmills and couldn`t hear a thing, have you actually heard it yourself? if so what does it sound like?

No I haven't heard it myself. It's always been stopped when I went past.

The skipper of a local charter fishing boat told me the story - so it must be true... :whistling:

No I haven't heard it myself. It's always been stopped when I went past.

The skipper of a local charter fishing boat told me the story - so it must be true...

Another Fishermans story???.. :yes: .

Have stood right under them, I cannot hear any noise what so ever..

They did complain at the local Prison, what do you expect, they want tucking in and a goodnight story and kiss, Bless them. :innocent:

A very emotive issue with no single cure, purely a personal view but I think wind turbines ruin a rural skyline. Tidal and hydropower need to be developed more and again just my opinion I cant see an alternative for the controlled power delivery modern society needs other than some increase in nuclear power.

its loud I can assure you..... all this wind turbine business is a load of inefficient hog wash and I doubt they generate sufficient energy to pay for themselves as claimed if you take everything into account from land purchase to end of life removal.

Fact

you and I will not get energy any cheaper no matter what technology is developed! the investors may make money and you will be lucky not to get an increase on your bill which it will be claimed is "a reduction in real terms"

The Green agenda is driven not because politicians believe in it but because a small number of lefty tree huggers make a lot of noise which they would be better directing towards the likes of China and the USA who per head of population along with natural events such as volcanoes pump out more greenhouse gas than the rest of us put together......

Fracking is a way to get to our own natural resources and for our benefit here in the UK...... its true there is always an element of risk but we are good at it and most of the hysteria is based on a lack of knowledge and miss information driven by the media because it serves a purpose and environmentalists who are trying to make you live your life as they want you too based on there ideology and understanding many of which will turn out to be middle aged woman whos kids are off their hands they are comfortable and need a cause......

Have a listen to the woman on this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03yn6xt

its loud I can assure you..... all this wind turbine business is a load of inefficient hog wash and I doubt they generate sufficient energy to pay for themselves as claimed if you take everything into account from land purchase to end of life removal.

Fact

you and I will not get energy any cheaper no matter what technology is developed! the investors may make money and you will be lucky not to get an increase on your bill which it will be claimed is "a reduction in real terms"

The Green agenda is driven not because politicians believe in it but because a small number of lefty tree huggers make a lot of noise which they would be better directing towards the likes of China and the USA who per head of population along with natural events such as volcanoes pump out more greenhouse gas than the rest of us put together......

Fracking is a way to get to our own natural resources and for our benefit here in the UK...... its true there is always an element of risk but we are good at it and most of the hysteria is based on a lack of knowledge and miss information driven by the media because it serves a purpose and environmentalists who are trying to make you live your life as they want you too based on there ideology and understanding many of which will turn out to be middle aged woman whos kids are off their hands they are comfortable and need a cause......

Have a listen to the woman on this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03yn6xt

I lasted about 45 seconds into her argument before I hit stop... to be fair it could have been as little as 10!

The more I learn about the creation of the universe the more apparent to me there is no God in the sense religion claims (one who created all) and who would therefore have an opinion on our actions be it Fracking or wind power.......

The problem for me is religious people and leaders have an opinion they want to force on others about their ideology be it fossil fuels, the preparation of food, what meat you can eat, who has a right to education or equality or not and all this matters a great deal.....

all with the exception of war and killing on which there seems a universal acceptance by religion that its absolutely fine just so long as the food is correctly prepared and of the right type and quality and never mind all the dead people lying around

Hypocrisy thats what it is

F rack on!

Edited by pavman

Amen.

I lasted about 45 seconds into her argument before I hit stop... to be fair it could have been as little as 10!

The more I learn about the creation of the universe the more apparent to me there is no God in the sense religion claims (one who created all) and who would therefore have an opinion on our actions be it Fracking or wind power.......

The problem for me is religious people and leaders have an opinion they want to force on others about their ideology be it fossil fuels, the preparation of food, what meat you can eat, who has a right to education or equality or not and all this matters a great deal.....

all with the exception of war and killing on which there seems a universal acceptance by religion that its absolutely fine just so long as the food is correctly prepared and of the right type and quality and never mind all the dead people lying around

Hypocrisy thats what it is

F rack on!

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about fracking is it gets used in renewable energy - yes geothermal projects!

Early posts are right that the technology has been in use for years. The problems in the US come partly from lack of regulation (the same problem that I understand contributed in part to the Deepwater Horizon incident). There are also parts of the US where gas is so abundent that bubbles out of source rock into streams so no wonder tap water comes out bubbly. Britain has a very well regulated oil and gas industry AND a long history of on-land oil production. If people put their efforts into ensuring politically that local communities benefitted from fracking we could achieve a lot, especially in education and employment terms for younger people.

I work with the marine side of the UK's energy infrastructure (after working in evil oil), including offshore renewables. Our energy security is in a parlous state in this country and we need to be seriously concerned about where our power is going to come from. It might not be a bad idea to turn the lights out for a night, stop the trains and the phones and the TV then put the options to a referendum the following morning to decide how we want to power our hospitals and incubators in the coming years. Might focus people a bit - it is that serious.

If you want some facts take at look at these:

2013 DECC Shale exploration report, (maps showing the broadly prospective areas fracking might take place): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226874/BGS_DECC_BowlandShaleGasReport_MAIN_REPORT.pdf

2013 DECC environmental impacts of oil and gas licencing https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/environmental-report-for-further-onshore-oil-and-gas-licensing

The first link is an especially broad report on the prospectivity of UK for shale gas, the report produced by the British Geological Survey and DECC was massively rushed due to government pressure so the maps only act as a broad guideline for where fracking might take place.

The 14th bidding round for oil and gas licences in the UK is supposed to take place in the 'early summer, 2014' only then will we know where oil companies are interested. As it stands now, Lancashire is the most likely with Cuadrilla and IGas drilling already and the Gainsborough basin where Total and Centrica just got invovled.

You may also be interested to see licences already owned, which covers the vast majority of area outliend by the DECC report. Be aware most of them are conventional oil and gas licences https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299853/landfields_lics.pdf

Edited by Guest