Order of the day

Noidea

excuse the title, something I brought over from a kayak forum, we never just put straight forward titles

Anyway. back to topic, I am currently doing all the research I can in order to make a safe and legal transition from the air rifle to the shotgun, but this has been a kick up the chuff for me in as much as im totally confused, I know most of the things I have to do, and I will make a list in case ive missed something you all think is important, but I have no idea as to what would be the order to do it all in. so far this is the stuff I think I need before I can get going

Gun Cabinet, police approved

Ammo cabinet, police approved

BASC insurance

somewhere to shoot. (I have this part sorted)

SGC

someone to counter sign my certificate

police to come to house and talk to me

any extra house security

tuition,( I this a must before I will be granted SGC?) I have mates that shoot and will show me all I need to know, but is this ok with mr policeman?

eventually a gun

I could turn this little lot into questions but it would mean an instant 100 posts probably. but I do need advice on which of these things should come first, and which bits wont be accepted until I have them in place, I have a rough idea. but not enough to start sending off applications to who it has to go to along with cheques that I might not get back if refused

once I have my certificate I will have a different set of questions to ask, but if I cannot get the SGC in the first place I don't need to bother you with them yet

Would appreciate any feedback

Paul

Hi,

You don't NEED tuition but having someone show you the ropes safety wise is always a good idea

You don't NEED an ammunition cabinet, just somewhere sensible to store them

You don't NEED BASC insurance but some form of insurance is very desirable and BASC are about as good as you get

Strictly speaking you don't NEED somewhere to shoot but the police will ask where you intend to shoot, what you intend to shoot

If you have have double glazing including doors then that will suffice for house security

:shaun:

Gun Cabinet, police approved BS7558 approved one is a good place to start, 4/5 gun ideally, needs to be out of site of casual visitors (ie someone who knocks the door) and not visible from ground floor windows

Ammo cabinet, police approved Not required for section 2 shotgun shells

BASC insurance NOt "required" but good idea even covers you for air rifle shootign

somewhere to shoot. (I have this part sorted) Written permission ideally

SGC This comes in the post

someone to counter sign my certificate Someone who has known you for 2 years and has a clean record, upstanding person

police to come to house and talk to me ​Needs to be your "permanent address"

any extra house security Depends where you live, decent door locks and widows a good idea

tuition,( I this a must before I will be granted SGC?) I have mates that shoot and will show me all I need to know, but is this ok with mr policeman? tuition isnt a necessity but a good idea find a local clay ground and have a few lessons

eventually a gun see above!

Gun Cabinet, police approved BS7558 approved one is a good place to start, 4/5 gun ideally, needs to be out of site of casual visitors (ie someone who knocks the door) and not visible from ground floor windows

Ammo cabinet, police approved Not required for section 2 shotgun shells

BASC insurance NOt "required" but good idea even covers you for air rifle shootign

somewhere to shoot. (I have this part sorted) Written permission ideally

SGC This comes in the post

someone to counter sign my certificate Someone who has known you for 2 years and has a clean record, upstanding person

police to come to house and talk to me ​Needs to be your "permanent address"

any extra house security Depends where you live, decent door locks and widows a good idea

tuition,( I this a must before I will be granted SGC?) I have mates that shoot and will show me all I need to know, but is this ok with mr policeman? tuition isnt a necessity but a good idea find a local clay ground and have a few lessons

eventually a gun see above!

cheers mate, you see it was a good idea to join this site, I have no idea, but with this sort of help and help from the other chap I will get the idea before too long I hope

Thanks for the help so far guys

Only for section 1 ammo, rifle rounds etc

oh, fair enough, something learnt straight away

excuse the title, something I brought over from a kayak forum, we never just put straight forward titles

Anyway. back to topic, I am currently doing all the research I can in order to make a safe and legal transition from the air rifle to the shotgun, but this has been a kick up the chuff for me in as much as im totally confused, I know most of the things I have to do, and I will make a list in case ive missed something you all think is important, but I have no idea as to what would be the order to do it all in. so far this is the stuff I think I need before I can get going

Gun Cabinet, police approved

Ammo cabinet, police approved

BASC insurance

somewhere to shoot. (I have this part sorted)

SGC

someone to counter sign my certificate

police to come to house and talk to me

any extra house security

tuition,( I this a must before I will be granted SGC?) I have mates that shoot and will show me all I need to know, but is this ok with mr policeman?

eventually a gun

I could turn this little lot into questions but it would mean an instant 100 posts probably. but I do need advice on which of these things should come first, and which bits wont be accepted until I have them in place, I have a rough idea. but not enough to start sending off applications to who it has to go to along with cheques that I might not get back if refused

once I have my certificate I will have a different set of questions to ask, but if I cannot get the SGC in the first place I don't need to bother you with them yet

Would appreciate any feedback

Paul

They refund your money if you are refused.

They refund your money if you are refused.

That's a bonus, cheers, does that mean you have a past refusal then? or did you just ask out of curiosity?

I don't think I have ever been called "The other chap" before :)

:shaun:

Well they say you should try everything atleast once, variety is the spice of life and all that, glad I could help you out :good:

oh right, that's good news, once I know what order I am going to do everything in I will just give it a go then, nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain, I cant seem to find that info myself so I will make sure I know the forms word for word before I make a start, don't take owning a live firing gun very likely and would like to believe that I do things the right way, keep the info coming, its always appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum.

Insurance wise you need to have a look at the different ones on offer and make the choice that's right for you. Don't just go with BASC because that's what people are saying on this or any other forum.

You'll want to cast your eye over the relevant websites and policy documents for (but not limited to):

* BASC

* Countryside Alliance

* CCC

* SACS

I've had three of the above and haven't had to claim for anything as yet but the price ranges from c.£25 for CCC and SACS to c.£65 for BASC.

Obviously there are additional benefits to each membership option but make sure you boil it down to what you need before you factor in the cost.

On a different note, as others have said...

You can pick up a cheap second hand cabinet (go bigger than you think you currently need as you'll probably be bitten by the bug and suddenly amass a collection before you realise what's going on. Don't worry about locked storage for any cartridges, wardrobes or under the bed would suffice ;)

Be honest when you fill out your forms (driving convictions, trouble with the police, ill health) and you should be fine. It's a pretty straightforward process for the SGC issue and unless they really think you're a danger then you should sail through.

Welcome to the forum.

Insurance wise you need to have a look at the different ones on offer and make the choice that's right for you. Don't just go with BASC because that's what people are saying on this or any other forum.

You'll want to cast your eye over the relevant websites and policy documents for (but not limited to):

* BASC

* Countryside Alliance

* CCC

* SACS

I've had three of the above and haven't had to claim for anything as yet but the price ranges from c.£25 for CCC and SACS to c.£65 for BASC.

Obviously there are additional benefits to each membership option but make sure you boil it down to what you need before you factor in the cost.

On a different note, as others have said...

You can pick up a cheap second hand cabinet (go bigger than you think you currently need as you'll probably be bitten by the bug and suddenly amass a collection before you realise what's going on. Don't worry about locked storage for any cartridges, wardrobes or under the bed would suffice ;)

Be honest when you fill out your forms (driving convictions, trouble with the police, ill health) and you should be fine. It's a pretty straightforward process for the SGC issue and unless they really think you're a danger then you should sail through.

interesting thoughts, only ever heard of BASC, as that's what most people seem to be joining, but will check out those others to see what they offer compared to what I will need. I know what you mean, I already have my eye on 2 guns, and that will probably not be the last that takes my fancy if I can get into this. so have been looking at cabinets with space for 4 guns, wont get that far but, you know just incase

never been in trouble in my life, no cautions, convictions or even points, so no probs on that side of things

I have a place to shoot that I went and found today, so I do have a good reason for owning one, I will get the proper training first so that wont be an issue, just have to figure out if I have any friends that would be acceptable as signiturees

this info is very helpful. and really don't mind the repeats of what others have said, it just backs up the info im getting given, great stuff

Thankyou

Paul

Hi Paul welcome to the forum :)

What part of the country are you from and how old are you ? There maybe other PW members near you at local shooting grounds that you can talk to as well .

Hi mate, thanks

I live in Lowestoft on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, and I am 31 years young :D

Insurance is one thing, an organisation that does something is another....

CPSA

NGO

can be added to the list

Keep em coming, this is all good stuff, just out of curiosity, which one do you use? and possibly why, I know I will have different needs to you but would be nice to know why people choose the one they go with

Hi Paul welcome to the forum :)

What part of the country are you from and how old are you ? There maybe other PW members near you at local shooting grounds that you can talk to as well .

Have some possible shooting ground as far as clays go, but have no idea how to go about getting permission to go for bunnies and pigeon, would be great to get to know some locals

Edited by Noidea

Don't get too hung up on finding somewhere to shoot the gun. You don't need "good reason" for a section 2 shotgun as you do with a S1. Just simply stating clay shooting will suffice

oh right, ok, I read into something a bit deep then, thought I needed names of places I would be shooting before they would let me have a live gun, if I state clay shooting to start with when im asked why I want a gun, do I need to tell anyone when it changes to land shooting after I have some permission?

Thankyou

Paul

oh right, ok, I read into something a bit deep then, thought I needed names of places I would be shooting before they would let me have a live gun, if I state clay shooting to start with when im asked why I want a gun, do I need to tell anyone when it changes to land shooting after I have some permission?

Thankyou

Paul

No.

Keep em coming, this is all good stuff, just out of curiosity, which one do you use? and possibly why, I know I will have different needs to you but would be nice to know why people choose the one they go with

I am a member of the BASC. Seemed a good idea to be a member of a society that supports shooting, and tie in all my insurance needs. They also gave me some good advice when I was waiting for my SGC (as it took a lot longer than it should of done, due to delays in the Essex Firearms). Plus you get a good magazine to read through. :yes:

One thing that was good advice for me is that if you plan to get 4 guns then buy a 5 gun cabinet and so on..... Fitting 4 guns in a 4 gun cabinet can often be quite a tight fit and you are likely to damage them. Especially if you have a SxS as they take up more room.