wildfowling conferrnce

ayano3

Found the day interesting and informative. There was a bit of a spat between the BASC CEO and a delegate which I thought the CEO handled very effectively

Funny how people see things differently. I thought he handled it very poorly. Allowing his buttons to be pushed and showing signs of losing his temper didn't come across as effective handling to me

That's how I saw it too,I thought the Mr Ali lost it a bit,although the delegate was a tad aggressive.
I had the oposite perspective, the delegate was idiotically obsessed with the past and not going forward when its the future we should be concerned

Aggressive or past obsessed doesn't take away from the fact that the situation was in my opinion badly handled by the CEO of BASC.

I agree with Reabrook and Biddy, Mr Ali's irritation with the delegate was very evident to anyone who witnessed the exchange.

I'm afraid in my view his performance in this instance fell well short of what I would expect of the CEO of an organisation that represents its members at the highest levels on what are frequently rather contentious issues. First time I've seen the CEO speak and frankly he didn't leave me feeling confident. :no:

The way I see it is what do we expect, he wasn't a committed shooter before the appointment and the salary for post was quite poor by CEO standards. Now show me a more mature bloke who has already achieved his business goals and a lifelong shooter and I will speak different. Common law of business prevents paying a little and getting a lot. Get HR involved in any appointment and they will mess it up by employing the most qualified failures, all they seem interested in is comparing past positions and titles these days.

Let me tell you there is some right idiots running round heading up charities and other orgs.

Paul Flowers and Co-op Bank is a prime example.

The way I see it is what do we expect, he wasn't a committed shooter before the appointment and the salary for post was quite poor by CEO standards. Now show me a more mature bloke who has already achieved his business goals and a lifelong shooter and I will speak different. Common law of business prevents paying a little and getting a lot. Get HR involved in any appointment and they will mess it up by employing the most qualified failures, all they seem interested in is comparing past positions and titles these days.
Let me tell you there is some right idiots running round heading up charities and other orgs.

Paul Flowers and Co-op Bank is a prime example.

Yep, the world has gone HR crazy. If you own and or run a business put HR onto tasks like sorting holiday rotas and other boring PC trash and give your managers and other senior staff the task of recruitment vetting- lets face it they know more of the job than HR who only look at past failures on a candidates CV as a positive :rolleyes:

Personally, although I was not at the conference, I have seen Richard Ali in action on a number of occassions.

Wildfowlers never cease to amaze me with their ability to put a negative spin on just about anything.

John Swift, his predecessor, had a completely different approach to dealing with such issues. One that often attracted criticism for his apparrent lack of "fight".

We now have a Chief Exec. who is prepared to mix it and not waste time on being unneccessarily polite to wildfowlers bent on pursuing some irrelevent argument.

.......and now that`s wrong too!

I gather he did something similar with west country clubs a little while ago.

I think one`s opinion of Richard Ali rather depends on where you stand with your viewpoint on a variety of wildfowling topics.

Personally, I like his no nonsense style and believe that he will take BASC forward.

I have supported BASC for more than 30 years and have no agenda against the appointment of Richard Ali. What he displayed at the Conference was not that of a strong man with a no nonsense attitude prepared to 'mix it'. He allowed himself to become riled and was close to losing his temper.

Sue Beale spoke for Natural England and was constantly recalled to the podium to answer difficult questions some delivered politely others in the same manner as those posed to Richard Ali. She remained calm collected and professional throughout. Though I/we may not have agreed with her answers I couldn't help but admire her professionalism. I can't say the same for the CEO of BASC. Unlike Mudpatten this is my first encounter with the man and I will for now give him the benefit of the doubt and judge him on results. I will however continue to criticise him where I see fit.

Though Grahamch and I disagree on Mr Ali's handling of the matter I do agree that the Chair could have been more assertive. My impression of that situation was that he did try but was overruled by his Boss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys the delegate in question had a good point I sat and listened with interest, yes Richard Ali was not as sure footed as I expected but he was up against a good chap who knew his stuff and was asking questions on the back of the west country meeting were I understand Richard Ali had a bit of a hard time .. as a point and as I am led to believe their is now a Consortium of Severn Estuary Wildfowling Clubs as they are not at all happy with the way they are all as individual smaller clubs having to bend to some rather harsh and unfair Consents / Rules from NE made worse by the fact they all shoot around the same area but are having to dance to different tunes !!!And they are asking and in my view rightly so that any negotiations made by HQ have to be with the full consent of the clubs involved

We on the east coast had just such a meeting a few years back and we did speak our minds and did not pull our punches!!

One of their points and requests is that if a limitation on wildfowling activities is deemed appropriate ,then it should be based on ,I quote "Unequivocal , compelling and factual evidence " this to me means not on a Precautionary Principal ..