Advice on gaining a permission letter

BRAD1927

Good morning all

I have been asked on several occassions to clear the odd fox as 1 off jobs, I currently use .17HMR but need to get a bit more distance and puch so I have asked the FEO for a .22-250.

He has come back to me and agreed in principle however the catch is that I need to provide a farmers/land owners letter to say I have permission.

Now the for the tricky bit the land owners concerned wont do this as it is one off jobs so I'm in a bit of a pickle can anybody advise or suggest any possible solutions.

I have the chance of some good land to shoot over if I can do these 1 off jobs that have good potential to become regular permissions but without the right tool for the job i'm stuck.

Look forward to your sensible replies

ATB

Brad

Why not check with the landowners to see whether they would be willing to talk to the FEO on the phone instead to confirm you have permission to shoot there. The other thing is, have you tried explaining to them that they're not giving you carte blanche to trample all over their land all the time, this is just a bit of paperwork and admin in order for you to shoot their foxes more effectively.

I'm no expert on firearms law but does it actually stipulate that the permission MUST be in writing?

Good luck in any case.

Hi

I would say if the FEO has put this condition on your self to receive your 22-250 it is something you will have to give them as they are under no obligation to issue you with any caliber if they don't feel they have sufficient evidence to say you are a safe and competent person with the sufficient space to shoot and own fire arms. An to be honest a permission letter is as much to cover your own back as it is the land owners and to give the FEO's peace of mind.

If it was my self, now i may be giving the wrong advice so it up to your self if you take it or not. But i would do a short permission letter stating that is the landowner is giving you permission to sort a particular problem out on the land and when this is sorted permission on the land will be on a as and when basis, verbally. This will give the FEO the bit of paper they need and will give the Landowner confidence that he is under control of his property. There's also nothing to say you can't even date the letter the dates you can shoot on the land.

Im sure if you explain to the landowner the condition the FEO has put on your self and explain the short term permission letter im sure he will understand.

Good luck with this

If Its a first centrefire grant, you could be stuck with its use on "land deemed suitable by the chief con." for a twelve month period, before they agree an "open" cert.

If they are willing to grant "open " from day 1 (west yorks for instance) you are on a better wicket. Pick your largest land area and have a man to man chat with the farmer. Convince him you need the rifle for better tackling his foxes and you will never come to the farm without he rings you first. Join a Target club at the same time - useful to keep the ammo going through.

Alternative is try door knocking as we all have done, you may well get lucky.

Good morning all

I have been asked on several occassions to clear the odd fox as 1 off jobs, I currently use .17HMR but need to get a bit more distance and puch so I have asked the FEO for a .22-250.

He has come back to me and agreed in principle however the catch is that I need to provide a farmers/land owners letter to say I have permission.

Now the for the tricky bit the land owners concerned wont do this as it is one off jobs so I'm in a bit of a pickle can anybody advise or suggest any possible solutions.

I have the chance of some good land to shoot over if I can do these 1 off jobs that have good potential to become regular permissions but without the right tool for the job i'm stuck.

ATB

Brad

On what evidence of good reason did you gain a HMR conditioned for fox then?

I have permission to shoot on approx 1000 acres of MOD land but I am not allowed (MOD rules) to use anything bigger than .22RF hence the .17HMR condition.

I have knocked on doors hence the phone calls to remove problem foxes only catch is that this tends to be few and far between and while the current permission holder is away or unable to get out.

Majority of land around here is either sown up by several individuals or is owned by the MOD.

The FEO has agreed an open ticket and the grant of the .22-250 on production of a land owners letter but as said landowners want a quick fix and not a perminant permission.

I dont charge for this as it gets me out and about and currently all my offers have come from the business cards I have left with the landowners and its becoming quite embarrassing as most of the time no matter how much I bait or call the foxes are very lamp shy and I cannot get them to come any closer than about 150yds so unless head shot the .17HMR is in my opinion not an effective tool for the job.

As you can see my predicament is I need to be able to sort the problem quickly and the .17HMR although useful doesnt always cut the mustard.

Perhaps the MOD might bend to an explanatory letter ?

Failing that you will need a letter of permission which you could take with you and just ask to sign on the conditions I mentioned as you do not wish to bother the landowner if you are stopped by the police?

Good Luck !

Good morning all

ATB

Brad

is there someone on here with open ticket and said caliber that could go with you and help out with these one of jobs then when you get these other permissions you say will follow then apply for your 22.250

just a thought

colin

• 2 weeks later...

is there someone on here with open ticket and said caliber that could go with you and help out with these one of jobs then when you get these other permissions you say will follow then apply for your 22.250

just a thought

colin

I thing that's the path I would go down

just a thought

colin

This would be my option too. Saves embarrassment of not doing the job properly with only a HMR but still gets your results for the farmers, dead foxes.

I have permission to shoot on approx 1000 acres of MOD land but I am not allowed (MOD rules) to use anything bigger than .22RF hence the .17HMR condition.

I have knocked on doors hence the phone calls to remove problem foxes only catch is that this tends to be few and far between and while the current permission holder is away or unable to get out.

Majority of land around here is either sown up by several individuals or is owned by the MOD.

The FEO has agreed an open ticket and the grant of the .22-250 on production of a land owners letter but as said landowners want a quick fix and not a perminant permission.

I dont charge for this as it gets me out and about and currently all my offers have come from the business cards I have left with the landowners and its becoming quite embarrassing as most of the time no matter how much I bait or call the foxes are very lamp shy and I cannot get them to come any closer than about 150yds so unless head shot the .17HMR is in my opinion not an effective tool for the job.

As you can see my predicament is I need to be able to sort the problem quickly and the .17HMR although useful doesnt always cut the mustard.

Brad - how about a slightly different tack and go for a nightsight rather than lamping? This way you don't need to negotiate anything new with anyone else until such a time as 'occasional' becomes a regular permission and promises come good. Being creatures of habit by putting a couple of nights recce into a problem fox you could take it out this way. This is how I do mine with a .17 and the shots are usually under 75 yds by the time I take them and I've been onto the fox from about 300yds out. I use an N750 and use the built in 740nm IR to indirectly 'lamp' them and then when I really want to take the shot I switch to a bolt on 900nm IR so that I don't spook them (notwithstanding the sound of chambering a round ONLY at this point). The red glow from a 700nm IR can still be seen by them and I think if they are lamp shy they don't like these illuminators either even though they are dimmer than a torch or LED. The 900nm ones are invisible from a metre or two away but they lack range (100yds). An HMR with one of these on is also ******* heavy so sticks are handy. I appreciate the N750 isn't cheap but there are other options out there - the IR considerations are still important though from my experience.

Edited by LeadWasp

You do not need a letter of permission in law, what you need is to demonstrate good reason! The catch is proving good reason without a letter, I do know persons holding FAC who have never had a permission letter in their whole shooting career.

I myself have had no "letter" for the last 5 years but plenty of permission and just had to go out and get one for my renewal that I will post today. I didn't want to do this in the middle of Lambing and BASC firearms did say its not a legal requirement so just put down a name address and phone number, though licencing are so unpredictable these days I went to my nearest and got one.

Can I suggest if you booked a stalking trip they might have to grant you a .243 win minimum and you could get deer and AOLQ on it, the .243 performs equally to the 22-250 anyhow using a 55 grn bullet, I know many like the 22-250 but to my mind its a pointless gun in the UK being only equal to a more versatile .243 at one end and more powerful than required over a .223 at the other