Binoculars

guy baxendale

I use the same 7x50 swavoski I use for everything else. rarely use them when I am carrying the gun now but spend hours watching flightlines and patterns emerging. Scouting round various marshes at full tide or after morning flight, poor optics can be a hindrance- I want to know I am not watching were the shell duck all want to be thinking they are mallard or Brents thinking they are greys or Canadas.

Stear clear of cheap new bins. Many are prone to misting up in damp weather or when there is a rapid temperature change ( like grtting out of a warm car into cold air ). You can often get a good bargan quality pair secondhand. Opticron , Zeiss,Swavosky and Nikon are all very good bins , but at a price and I would suggest a bit too good for the marsh. Bushnall are very good value for the price.

I would recomend visiting a bird watching centre shop such as Cley spy or In focus http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/titchwell.html. Many reserves have a shop section for bins in their visitor center. That will give you a chance to find a pair of bins that suit you and your pocket.

Even a visit to Cley N W T is well worth going, even if you don't buy any bins from there at least you can try the large amount the guy has on offer and enjoy a cup of tea and a bacon roll in what I would consider one of the finest tea rooms a going .............P S if you know of a better one please let me know..............and have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a pair of Zeiss .. but want a compact set ...8x30 or something along those lines... but l want this compact back up set to be cheap ... l know they wont come close to Ziess but its portability lm after (pocket size, if poss water resistant). . I just want to scan out to around 100/150 metres .. "but l want cheap and if possible secondhand pair... £30/35 ... any suggestions, other than hope? ... cheers

Leica trinovid 10 x 25.

Buy the best you can afford it will pay dividends in the long run, try Cley spy they have hundreds of binoculars to suit all pockets.

Yeah, Expensive but world class

. I just want to scan out to around 100/150 metres any suggestions, other than hope?

At 100 >> 150 you dont need glasses for this short range other than optical vision glasses.

I just want some cheap binos mate .. carting all the gear round is getting to much .. my Zeiss are fantastic, but bulky and heavy ...my eye sight isnt great .. i just want some cheapo 8×30 ... l understand my price limitation greatly reduces my option on quality and availability, but bearing in mind my limitations price wise, secondhand what do you guys recommend is likely to be the best option,

I dont want to spend more for quality .. lve used some supposedly top notch binos and to be honest, they fell short in ability to the Ziess l already own .. its just a cheap, okay abilty cheap compact and if possible, water resistant/water proof secondhand binos, that fit in my wax jacket pocket ... suggestion appreciated .. cheers

If you can find a pair of Swift Audubon HHS buy them as they are brilliant. I got mine for £190 many years ago (8 or 9) as me and a friend were buying a pair so we got a little off the price, I will never sell them, have used them tons of times and they are in great condition!!!

Check out this review.... http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Swift-HHS-Audubon.php

I also bought a pair of Leica ultravids 8x42 as an upgrade a fews years later on ebay.... well after using them for a few weeks I just did not feel they were that much better they were a wee bit but not £500 odd better so sold them on.

I would like a pair of Leica ultravids 10x25 next nice and small to go in the top pocket of the jacket etc have tried my friends and they perform well for their size.

Good binos will truly astonish you in low .... and VERY low light. if you can get a good pair from a top maker, I'd do it.

go to a shop on a very grey overcast day and look into the shadows of distant places outside the shop door.... it is hard to get good conditions to really test them. Bright sunny days will not show you the difference nearly so well as modest ones perform OK when the light is good.

To tell the truth I dont take binos on the marsh ,I do have a half decent pair brought at the local WI rummage sale ,got inscribed on them Adolf H or sum such ,they stay in the van ! Think they must have been free in the cornflakes pack!

But when out on the marsh I have always been able to see very well at my shooting range what I am shooting at ( Their have been just a very few exceptions !!!!!!! ) so why do I need yet another thing to carry ??? I can tell if its duck 2 or 300 yds out, so when in range I can see it with out the need for binos !!!!!,,, Just a observation you know !!!!