Have you experienced an increase in Stock Doves in your area

birdsallpl

Whilst carrying out crop protection yesterday over freshly drilled beans, there were hundreds of birds on the fields. However about 70% were Stock Doves. The flocks were mixed with Woody's. The Stocks were landing in amongst the decoys all the time, which actually helped to draw the wood pigeons in as well but made snap shooting to the sides quite difficult. I have obviously had a few Stocks about before but never in such vast numbers. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

Whilst carrying out crop protection yesterday over freshly drilled beans, there were hundreds of birds on the fields. However about 70% were Stock Doves. The flocks were mixed with Woody's. The Stocks were landing in amongst the decoys all the time, which actually helped to draw the wood pigeons in as well but made snap shooting to the sides quite difficult. I have obviously had a few Stocks about before but never in such vast numbers. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

Ye, damm nuisance they are too, especially if you have to shoot sun in eyes, you don't know to shoot or not until it's too late...

We have a farm with a resident flock of at least two hundred stock doves on it , they are feeding on the ground cover at present . We have found locally that the stock and collard dove have increased in the past four to five years. We did come across a young lad at one farm that had shot a number of stock doves with his air rifle and thought they were pigeons , when we told him they were protected he just asked WHY??. Innocence of youth.

I have been posting for a couple of years that there seems to have been an explosion in the stock dove population.

Flocks use to be in single numbers, but now I am seeing 50 to 100 bird flocks quite commonly.

Mild Winters, longer breeding season, plenty of food, being protected, there are probably loads of reasons why this is happening, but it is happening.

Despite a good search round, I can't find when, or why, they became protected, I can certainly remember when they weren't when I was a lad (or perhaps people didn't bother so much then).

I agree there does seem to be an increase in the infernal things. Very often when a group of a dozen or more has approached the hide I have dismissed them mentally as 'bloody stockies' only to find that there is a woody amongst them and the chance is gone.

Last Saturday I had stock doves visit, commit and land throughout the day,2 on one occasion wandered around the pattern for several minutes appearing to be mesmerised by the magnet and flapper movement. If only the woodies were so willing!! :rolleyes:

I have been posting for a couple of years that there seems to have been an explosion in the stock dove population.

Flocks use to be in single numbers, but now I am seeing 50 to 100 bird flocks quite commonly.

Mild Winters, longer breeding season, plenty of food, being protected, there are probably loads of reasons why this is happening, but it is happening.

Despite a good search round, I can't find when, or why, they became protected, I can certainly remember when they weren't when I was a lad (or perhaps people didn't bother so much then).

They were on schedule 2 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954, but not on Schedule 2 of the Wildlife & countryside act 1981.

Like you I can't find when they were removed. It would appear 1981, but I thought you couldn't shoot them before then. I've been shooting since about 1967 and don't remember ever shooting any, but then again maybe there wasn't any around at that time.

Plenty round here, quite often have them making me throw a fresh cup of coffee on the floor or a newly rolled fag in my fresh cup of coffee. On a positive note they do help pull pigeons in if they are loitering around.

Yes, they can act a realistic decoys but often the woodies seem to hang back and watch the doves go in. Usually, the doves realise that the deeks are dead and get up, exit watching woodies...