E - Petition .22 RF Pistols. Coordinated By Shooting Organisations

Willxx

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like demonwolf's attitude. It is time to rise up for shooting no matter what your discipline is. Let's stop the infighting, the only fighting we should be doing is against ridiculous gun laws and anti-gun organizations and a government who wants to ban our sport.

Agreed!

and as for wymberly's comment, its time we stopped looking for reasons to not do things... there really is no wrong message, just one united voice for every shooter in the uk. regardless of what they wish to own.

These guys want my vote. I've never heard of them, have no idea who they are or their objectives. Therefore, before I give my vote, I need some information on which to base that action - see Post #44. James has cleared up my query regarding the logo to my satisfaction although I, personally, still think that it is not an ideal choice and has also confirmed initial contact with the NSRA.

Whereas Steppenwolf was wrong in as much as I was looking for reasons TO sign, it could be argued that his other remark has an element of truth to it

just to vent some frustration, I sent a facebook message to a couple of friends who helped get me into shooting urging them to sign this. Couldn't believe the replies back 'whats the point, it won't achieve anything, 250,000 petitioned to stop the fox hunting ban and that didn't get anywhere'.

Honestly i nearly fell out with them both having this discussion, for the seconds it takes to sign the petition they just wouldn't do it!

just to vent some frustration, I sent a facebook message to a couple of friends who helped get me into shooting urging them to sign this. Couldn't believe the replies back 'whats the point, it won't achieve anything, 250,000 petitioned to stop the fox hunting ban and that didn't get anywhere'.

Honestly i nearly fell out with them both having this discussion, for the seconds it takes to sign the petition they just wouldn't do it!

:) Frustrating isn't it? I know literally dozens and dozens of shooters.Now I think about it I'd be surprised if I couldn't name a hundred. Not a single one of them will take the time to sign this petition. I know this for a fact, and the reason I know this is because despite one or two being former handgunners, and despite the fact they are all rifle and shotgun owners who actively shoot both in and out of season, not a single one of them bothered to lobby the Government following the biggest threat to face shotgunners so far, namely the Cumbrian shootings. Not a single one. I know because I've asked them. That's what you're up against.

Cheer up, only just over 92,000 to go. :good:

Edited by Scully

Well i suppose in my view there is little or no reason why target pistols can not be sucessfully reinstated to FAC as they once were, whithout any risk, with regards to safety and security; i struggle to see the difference between someone owning a .22 rimfire rifle for targets, and a .22 rimfire pistol for targets. Fox hunting is very much a country thing, and the progressive city types will always see it as barbarric and will not see the other aspects to the sport that country people see. Town or country pistol shooting could and should be an accessible sport where everyone compete's on an equal level, i think this is why we have gathered so much support from organisations who work with disabled sportsmen.

These guys want my vote. I've never heard of them, have no idea who they are or their objectives. Therefore, before I give my vote, I need some information on which to base that action - see Post #44. James has cleared up my query regarding the logo to my satisfaction although I, personally, still think that it is not an ideal choice and has also confirmed initial contact with the NSRA.

Whereas Steppenwolf was wrong in as much as I was looking for reasons TO sign, it could be argued that his other remark has an element of truth to it

I don't mind answering as many questions as you like! As you put it we are a relatively new organisation who, unless you followed the airgun lisencing campain and the WHsmith petition you will have probably never heard of. Why would you want to sign your name to a petition that could be set up by a bunch of hooligans; i understand that. Keep asking questions and i will hopefully be able to answer them to your satisfaction.

Post my involvement with the WHSmiths campaign I began designing and building a website that would freely represent all shooting sports and become a central focus for future campaings, to take this on personally would have been a huge work load. Little did i know there was a group of people already working together to achieve the exact same thing and they invited me to join, since approximately a year ago, we have built up Firearms UK Association to become a more proactive group, for this we have had the full backing and support of existing organisations and have worked with them from the outset.

PS - I found what one of my colleges said about the AR gun in the anniversary logo.

"The change is temporary for the month of March.

The "AR style" rifle was chosen to replace the Lee Enfield after a request for an alternative logo with a more modern rifle and to reflect the symbolism attributed to this platform through 2013 after extensive press coverage; both good and bad.

In recognition of current events or special occasions our logo and other art work may be changed from time to time. However, there are no plans for a permanent change at this time. We are all very much big fans of the Lee Enfield in our logo."

Edited by demonwolf444

Glad to see its now on the CA web site too, but they have not emailed me yet, so I hope they will be emailing all their contact list very soon.

David

Team is pretty much working flat out at the moment. Pretty hard to keep up with what everyone is doing, glad to see the CA have put it on their website, i will follow up exactly what is happening there, but i would imagine that they should be emailing out soon.

Done, I think I can persuade a few others also. I admired and supported your efforts with the WH Smith nonsense. As you say, time to be proactive not reactive.

Thanks blunderbuss, I appreciate your kind words and support !

It's going well at the moment with nearly 10,000 signatures but 100,000 are needed to be heard in parliament.

Should be easy given the amount of shooters in the UK!

Aah. The initial response so far has been especially pleasing, the power of social media and the internet is especially important for creating that initial buzz and reaching out to those people who have been active before. The difficulty in my view is always going to be sustaining this issue to the point where 100,000 signatures is not such a ridiculous proposition. This is not a jog around the park, this is a marathon, so we need to ensure through planning that we can last the race.

Currently over 140,000 firearms tickets on issue and something like 4 - 500,000 shotgun tickets on issue, we only need to reach out to 1 in 5 all ticket holders then to achieve 100,000. None of this factors in air rifle and pistol users, and other sympathetic groups, people who work in shooting organizations, gun shops, ranges, who may not necessarily shoot but could have a vested interest.I am pulling these numbers out of my head but you can see what i am getting at, its not impossible but that does not make it easy.

I genuinely believe it can be done, in some respects half of it is getting the shooting community to believe in its self.

Lets try and keep this current to gather as many signatures as possible. Thanks guys.

Edited by demonwolf444

100 signatures left to hit 10,000 in the first week of the petition, which will ensure a response from Home Office - if you shoot, hunt, fish, love working dogs or partake in any other country sports please add your name here as an act of solidarity and if you use Facebook please like and share tonight.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62588

One day it could be your interests under threat of a ban and you can count on the support of the rest of us!

The Anniversary Logo was a promotional image, a novelty if you like. The Firearm in the picture actually belongs to one of the team members and as actually an air soft gun but its worth noting that straight pull and .22RF versions of these firearms are available and legal. I know my local club has a good following in what it calls "carbine rifle shooting" which is a more relaxed form of competitive target shooting using these types of firearms. There does not seem to be any particular reason why this type of firearm was chosen for the promotional image other than for a change.

James.

James,

Sending out the right message is paramount in campaigns like these.

It's irrelevant what we, as shooters, think about 'black guns'. It's not us you're trying to convince with your petition. The public perception of AR type rifles, rightly or wrongly, is one of a military type weapon. I know you've stated that the gun in question is an air soft rifle, but do you really want to keep having to explain that to everyone questioning its inclusion in your logo? If you're trying to engage the public they will check out your website/Fb page and the first thing they'll see is a rifle they only ever see in war zones or war films. You then have the problem of having to explain to each and every one why you have a AR type rifle in your logo when you're trying to garner their support for .22 target pistols.

I have signed your petition, but I do feel it may be easier to gain more support for the cause if that cause is perhaps represented in your logo?

Maybe something like this....?

gsp_expert_22_1499.jpg

These are just my thoughts, obviously any decision will rest with you and the rest of your team.

Carry on the good work, and good luck. :good:

James,

Sending out the right message is paramount in campaigns like these.

It's irrelevant what we, as shooters, think about 'black guns'. It's not us you're trying to convince with your petition. The public perception of AR type rifles, rightly or wrongly, is one of a military type weapon. I know you've stated that the gun in question is an air soft rifle, but do you really want to keep having to explain that to everyone questioning its inclusion in your logo? If you're trying to engage the public they will check out your website/Fb page and the first thing they'll see is a rifle they only ever see in war zones or war films. You then have the problem of having to explain to each and every one why you have a AR type rifle in your logo when you're trying to garner their support for .22 target pistols.

I have signed your petition, but I do feel it may be easier to gain more support for the cause if that cause is perhaps represented in your logo?

Maybe something like this....?

gsp_expert_22_1499.jpg

These are just my thoughts, obviously any decision will rest with you and the rest of your team.

Carry on the good work, and good luck. :good:

That is a great response. Thank you for taking the time to explain your view point to me. I suppose i had never thought of it in that particular respect ( as coming from outside of the shooting community ) and always, perhaps falsely, made the assumption that with the majority of our support base is coming from inside the existing shooting community who already have the knowledge of firearms i assume as a member of that same community.

It is certainly an excellent idea to have a target pistol in the logo for the duration of the campaign which will be Firearms UK's focus for the duration of the year and beyond, not only to better represent what we are trying to achieve, but also to put any misapprehensions the general public may have safely out of mind. Between the group we are working 24/7 and there is a continuously growing list of important things for us to tackle at any given time, i suppose with all that is going on we have overlooked such a simple idea for the effect that it could have so i really do appreciate your response. The logo on our website (firearmsuk.org) remains our standard lee enflield logo, as the black gun logo was just promotional for the month of March. As for the target pistol personally i am all for this idea and will pass it on to the team and with any luck we will see a new campaign logo possibly early April.

Due to the current work load it may take some time, or the logo may revert on the facebook page back to the standard lee enfield logo at the end of March.

Update pending discussion!

Best wishes,

James.

Over 10,000 now , great stuff - lets keep pushing!

David

Too old/no interest in this Facebook/Twitter scene so concede I may have missed something. James and Firearms UK, BASC (finally been nudged into doing something pro-active) and the CA are to be congratulated with full coverage of this petition on their websites.

Could anyone who knows the reason, please explain why the NSRA is deafening in its apparent lack of support of this superb initiative? As said I may have missed something, but would expect to see this well covered, as per BASC and CA, on their (NSRA) website. Playing the Devil's Advocate, Joe Public (not to mention the legislators) may well ask that if the UK governing body of the sport is not supporting this, why should they.

Pointy stick time perhaps!