starting out

Bryn12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot it but a few top up lessons will stop those bad habits but most importantly enjoy it.

Absolutely, think I managed to make all of my mistakes today including one I didn't know about - tensed my whole hand instead of just my index finger on one shot late in the session resulting in missing low.

Also need to get used to the sight picture on this gun rather than the SxSs I grew up using, though I don't think it will take long.

OK I'm not a complete newbie to shooting or clays but am coming back to shotguns after a couple of decades and have decided that I'd like to concentrate on clays, no idea what discipline yet as I'd like to try as wide a range as possible and see what floats my boat.

Hope you included a couple of lifejackets with the safety equipment. Good Luck and straight shooting to you both and welcome to shooting.

OK I'm not a complete newbie to shooting or clays but am coming back to shotguns after a couple of decades and have decided that I'd like to concentrate on clays, no idea what discipline yet as I'd like to try as wide a range as possible and see what floats my boat.

Hope you included a couple of lifejackets with the safety equipment. Good Luck and straight shooting to you both and welcome to shooting.

still got a couple (somewhere) but sold all my scuba gear except one of the cylinders to keep my air rifle topped up :)

Desperate to get started on practice clays but stuck on exercises and mental imaging until the end of next week when I pick up my gun. Monthly club meet this Sunday which I think is at the ground I plan to use for practice so hopefully I'll get the chance to check it out, will be handy as its only 3 miles from the house, which is practically next door round here :lol:

Edited by Bryn12

• 2 weeks later...

Well today's the day I pick up my new toy, been like a hyperactive kid this week.

Because I haven't had a gun to play practice with I've been reading a lot, ploughing through the 150page CPSA handbook and watching John King's DVD. Have picked up a lot of little tips, not least they've lead to a 'light-bulb' moment as to why I've been struggling so badly with DTL, all I can say is I can be a 'king moron sometimes :rolleyes: .

Yup, had a go at 24 R-L crossers (hit 15) and 25 rising teal (hit 18), most satisfying was teal no26 - had a cartridge left in my pocket (from the crossers) so called pull, trap A had run out of clays so I had just looked to check with the instructor when trap B was released, the clay was well risen when I marked it, shouldered the gun and dusted the clay on instinct, it was also the first clay I hadn't already shouldered the gun for. Considering I finished my night shift at 5am, drove 1hr home then 2hrs up to the ground I'd have been happy to hit anything

Mrs Bryn has chosen a pretty mint Winchester Diamond Grade Sporter which is having some simple mods to the stock, she had a go with it on a 25 bird lesson and was going well.

Final expense of the day was to stock up with cartridges for practice 500 each of fibre wad mirage, 28gram in 7, 8 & 9s simply to see how they go for us in our guns, would have liked to get some 21gram for Mrs Bryn but I'll have to look around for them.

Tomorrow is club day and Mrs Bryn's and my first visit to the Auldgirth ground, which as it's only 3 miles from the house will be handy for training.

I'll put a pic of my 'precious' up tomorrow when I'm slightly less knackered :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my new toy, hopefully get to put some more lead through it on Saturday, in the meantime I've been doing a lot of lot of dry mounting and although I can work with it as it is I definitely need a more thorough fitting, I know what is wrong but don't know the best alterations to make to address them but then that's the fitter's job B)

DSC01702.jpg

Thanks, that's why I've been working on it daily, I guess once the instructor stops adjusting it then it will be correct and consistent.

My only question would be if its the same issue, every time, how much is down to the mount and how much to the fit and the shooter adapting to suit the gun?

I tend to bring the butt too high into my shoulder because if I don't I have to reset my cheek lower onto the comb to align the barrel properly and then I'm looking out of the top of my eye socket. Don't know if that makes any sense. The cant has almost disappeared but the tendency is still there. To me it feels like the drop from rib to comb & butt needs to be more.

Thanks everyone, quite a difference between shooting a fixed stock shotgun and an Anschutz 1913 supermatch that I could adjust at will (and did), I rather miss that flexibility. I know there are adjustable stocks for shotguns out there but I'm not sure that there'd be anything to gain over a well fitted stock. When I do go ahead and get the stock fitted I would hope to spend a decent amount of time with the fitter and if it needs a couple of lessons as well then so be it. I may be wrong but I feel the gun should come naturally into the right position and alignment with no 'forcing' or awkwardness involved.

Just back from Westlands, had a great day, started off on the two practice stands and was hitting the clays right from the off. Mrs Bryn had a go and hit some too, the breakthrough being that she KNEW she had them. After that we worked our way round the along the stands where I continued to break the vast majority, there were a couple of birds I struggled with but only one eluded me completely and I was running low on cartridges by then so only had 3 attempts, had a palm to forehead moment as I walked away from the stand and I realised how I should have been tackling it.

It was a beautiful day and Mrs Bryn and I had the whole place to ourselves until the very end, manager seems a really nice bloke and at 25p/clay I pretty much filled my boots. The place is as clean and well laid out as I've seen, especially the cafe, loos &etc., so well worth a visit. I think I'm going to be using this ground for most of my practice, certainly in the short term, even though its not the nearest.

Has anyone suggested you come to the charity shoot?

Get the wife to register on here and she is more than welcome to shoot too,

It's not about the scores, it's about raising money for charity and putting faces to names,

Nobody will mind that you are just starting out and you might even pick up the odd tip or two, not from me I might add...lol

Worth a thought?

:shaun:

Yup was so tempted to sign up but reckoned I'm just a noob so pretty ****, quickly followed by a club meet on the Auldgirth sporting stands that made me wonder *** I was doing thinking I could shoot, then the day at Westlands where my gun seemed to have a guidance system.........go figure.

Mrs Bryn is registered on here but not sure she'd be up for this except as an observer, I'll check the dates on the charity shoot thread and see if its do-able.

Have had a look at what passes for my diary (various bits of paper with stuff scribbled on them) and I can't make it this year. 1. my gun will be having its stock altered, 2. One of our customers wants to make horse haylage the week. Next year I'll keep the charity shoot date clear.